44 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Congrads on the 14k band. Has a interesting look to it.. I always enjoy trying to date gold rings and that is a tough one since your coins seem to run over a 100 years till now. 

Thanks Joe.  The ring's engraving says '63 and most of the copper pennies were Memorials, So I'm guessing it was lost in the late 60's early 70's. I was just happy to see gold that wasn't plated!! This spot seems to be riding the silver / clad line, which makes digging deep a lot harder when you only get a clad dime 🙄. The 1902 V nickel shows me there is still another layer down there beyond my reach.

• Like 2

Beach hunt # 6 is over! Not much has changed conditions wise, so I hit the same area I did last week, just expanding it a bit. I must have been working a newer layer, as most of the clad coin dates were at least 10 years newer than the last hunt. The chance for silver goes down quite a bit, but you still have to dig that deep clad, just in case. No gold this time around, but I did get 3 silvers - a Mercury dime, Roosevelt dime, and a war nickel. The ratio of copper cents to zinc cents was great. The amount of iron and aluminum dug was not so great.  😄 Also dug a Buffalo nickel and a transit token. Lots of work for just a couple of good finds, but it’s worth it if you consider I wasn’t at work and I got to view a beautiful beach. Keep digging!

PA160222.JPG

PA160224.JPG

PA160223.JPG

PA160226.JPG

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1

Wow again,

You must have a huge finds pouch! Or are you dragging a trash bag behind you! In any case, great job on your finds, and great job cleaning up the beach!! Your a fine example for metal detecting!!👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rvpopeye said:

You must have dug enough sand to fill an olympic pool !

Some cool stuff ! 

Envy those cuts..

I bring enough sand home too 🙄 It doesn't seem like I dig that much until I get home and start to sort it out.

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

Wow again,

You must have a huge finds pouch! Or are you dragging a trash bag behind you! In any case, great job on your finds, and great job cleaning up the beach!! Your a fine example for Metal detecting!!👍👍

I have a belt with 2 home made pouches on it, along with my pin pointer. One pouch is for trash, a screwdriver (for prying rocks loose) and a toothbrush (for unclogging those tiny slits that the Garrett pinpointer has for speaker holes). The other pouch is for a drink, an old vitamin container with a slice cut out of the top, so I can just slip the coins in. Also somewhere is a 9 volt battery in a baggie just so I don't have to go anywhere if the pinpointer dies. I also throw trash in this one too if I get a lot of big stuff.  I usually empty them about half way through the hunt, when I do a bathroom visit. Each pouch has a plastic insert in it so it last longer from all that sharp iron I dig. It's no beauty by any means, 😶 but it gets the job done.

• Like 2

Beach hunt # 7 is done! I tried another beach that was older, but trashy. I lasted I hour and decided conditions were not favorable for me to get down deep enough to hit the old coin layer, (if there even is one). So, I traveled to my normal beach, knowing that good targets would be dwindling, if conditions are the same there. They did, as targets were sparser. This isn’t much you can do about that except enjoy the day and be happy to be out detecting. For silver, I did manage to get an old, worn-out Mercury dime, a Washington quarter, and a tiny Turquoise ring. Enjoy life!

PA210222.JPG

PA210223.JPG

PA210224.JPG

PA210225.JPG

PA210226.JPG

• Like 9
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, midalake said:

This is rather painful to see. Not sure I could use a detector that would allow me to dig all of those items. 

I actually choose to dig all those targets. 😄 You could easily not dig the big iron just by sizing the target and a lot of those little iron targets, if they are closer to the surface, will blank out, so you know that they are iron. The bottle caps, as long as they are within 6 inches, are so loud and wide of a signal that you could ignore them too, although you would probably ignore shallow quarters as well by using that method. No big deal missing some clad.  I dig them for the exercise and most importantly for cleansing the top layer, so I can hear the real faint targets later this season. That's where I get the silver and occasionally some gold.  It's just the way I detect on the beach. It's definitely not for everyone, but last year it payed me back in dividends as far as silver was concerned. Now on dry land it's a different story. I could never match my silver count with a PI on dry land. On dry land I would be way more restrictive on what I dig and only hunt deep, rounder targets for older coins. Small nails at depth will fool you, but using the coil to check the dimensions of targets can eliminate some iron. Shallow, non ferrous targets would not be much of a challenge to find.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nice hunt. Been "forked" a couple times myself, too bad neither were sterling. I'm digging that much crap or more mostly to clear it out, and to stop swinging the detector for a bit.

Any silver is a good day for me. 👍 Great job. I'm always impressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Nice hunt. Been "forked" a couple times myself, too bad neither were sterling. I'm digging that much crap or more mostly to clear it out, and to stop swinging the detector for a bit.

Any silver is a good day for me. 👍 Great job. I'm always impressed.

That's funny, I hardly ever find forks, mostly spoons (all silver plated brass or SS) Just 1 sterling spoon from probably over 40 spoons found. Cheapskates in my neck of the woods 😄 For some reason I get bored when the beach is sanded in and I am walking and swinging for 10 minutes without even a peep. I can't stand the silence. Probably since I'm a long way from a beach and usually only have one day off per week (self inflicted)🙄, so I want maximum time digging. If I was retired and detected daily, I would probably not mind a little silence.

• Haha 3