Beach hunt # 8 is over …wheww!  I know some cultures have no problem with the number 8, but I have never had any luck with it. I didn’t realize it was number 8, but it sure whacked me a good one. I changed my predetermined beach location to my favorite beach, because the storm brushed the coast enough to impact this beach. Although the tide coefficient was very low (I think 35) I was hoping the storm surge would still reach up high and pull a lot of sand away. So did others, since I talked with 5 other local detectorists there too. It did put about a 1 foot cut across some parts of the beach, but it also pushed sand all the was up to the top of the beach. Sometimes you just can’t figure out when you are going to get that big removal of sand. So, no gold, no silver, no jewelry of any kind, but a good dose of very rusty bottle caps and other assorted junk. I did do a little beach clean up as I was about to leave the beach. I saw a video on ocean plastic and one thing that stuck was that some of the missing % of plastic that should be in the water when they did a test, was missing. They concluded it’s not sitting on the bottom, or floating around, or very minute particles, but  it is trapped below the sand and only surfaces when there is a great deal of ocean disturbance. So, as I was walking back to the car with my tail between my legs, I decided to pick up any plastic that I saw. I probably will do this from now on. And even though my greatest finds were copper Memorials, 😭 I still enjoyed the day!

PA300222.JPG

PA300223.JPG

PA300224.JPG

PA300225.JPG

PA300226.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

Beach hunt # 9 this past Thursday. Nice day, sunny and warm. Met up with a forum member and it is always nice to see him and chat. I wanted to take the GPX into shallow water and see what lies deep, so I decided to fill a sock with beach sand and weigh down my coil. I zip tied it to the shaft and rested it on the coil……Bad idea! 😄 I think I ended up breaking a wire inside the cable going into the coil. The coil just screams when I’m swinging it, like it is responding to a huge target.  So, In my haste to get going that morning, I did not pack a second coil. Prior to breaking, I did start hitting a nice line of copper pennies including 3 wheats (a ’10, ’37 & ’44). I think my coil was almost broken anyways since it’s over 3 years old and gets a lot of beach and woods use. So, I’ll be looking to get a replacement soon. Pulled out the Equinox for a rare above the knee water hunt. Waters were quiet but I did manage to get a little bit of clad and what I thought was going to be a stupid zinc penny turned out to be a Ruger 9MM bullet. Next time I WILL be more careful shaking the scoop around. 😲All in all, it was still fun in the sun. I may return there as I just picked up a used  E Trac to do some deep silver grass hunting. Some will say use the Equinox, but the target ID on the E Trac is more to my liking.

PB070222.JPG

PB070223.JPG

• Like 9

Great detecting attitude, school.  I can see why you are so successful. 

I'll speak for both myself and the rest of the animal world and thank you for picking up plastic trash.

Now, go find some precious!

• Like 4

Broken coil sux. Especially if it's the only coil.....

That lure is probably a $5 bill.

Yes it does. It was the only coil that day. I have more at home but the 12.5 was my favorite coil RIP #12 😆

• Like 1

Thanks for taking us along!  I will have to pay closer attention to this post. I was not aware it was on going. 

Continue the mission!! And Good Luck!!

Thanks Joe. Hopefully I will get back into the swing of finding some good things 😄, otherwise you can drool over my aluminum.

• Haha 4

Always cool to see your posts in this thread. You got a whole $1.89! The GPX will pay for itself in no time. 😀

Seriously, I'm sure you'll come across a great spot. This southern nor'Easter probably won't do you much good, it tore the beaches up from VA to Miami. I'd like to get to the beach but driving there is a nightmare. They have "no" signs as long as your arm too. 😵 It's November. Something will happen.

You have a round thing in your iron/stainless, is that interesting? Dug a live Mauser round recently myself. 👍

• Like 1

Always cool to see your posts in this thread. You got a whole $1.89! The GPX will pay for itself in no time. 😀

Seriously, I'm sure you'll come across a great spot. This southern nor'Easter probably won't do you much good, it tore the beaches up from VA to Miami. I'd like to get to the beach but driving there is a nightmare. They have "no" signs as long as your arm too. 😵 It's November. Something will happen.

You have a round thing in your iron/stainless, is that interesting? Dug a live Mauser round recently myself. 👍

Yep, I'm rich from that hunt! 😁 That round thing is junk. Probably the front part of a button. I just picked up a used E Trac, so a little beach dirt hunting for part of the day on my next hunt. The E Trac was a great deep silver machine.... let's see how it stacks up against Equinox, Deus and a bunch of other machines that have pounded that field. They reportedly took well over 500 silvers out of there. We shall see.

• Like 4