23 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Still not comfortable enough with the 6000? Thought you had one. šŸ¤”

They're gonna thank you for cleaning up all the clad... Nice ring! šŸ‘

The 6000 is excellent for small stuff, but on the coastal beaches I do, the 5000 still wins for the deep coins. Lack of control options has me thinking it won't be a machines I can find settings that work for what I want to do with it. I didn't think the 11" mono coil would interfere EMI wise as much as it did, when I tried it on my favorite beach. The 14" DD coil is just not much (if any) better than the cancel mode or an anti interference coil is, on my 5000. So it sits until the archaeology work for next fall. I really should try it some more on other beaches. But time is limited and the travel time is @ 2 hours, so I need to maximize my time with the machine that works best. Lately, if it wasn't for clad I would have nothing at all to show šŸ™„

23 hours ago, strick said:

Ā Iā€™d rather be lucky than skillful sometimes seems like your persistence has paid off and that is a skill in itself nice ring !

strick

Thanks strick! I really needed something good to show up that day, and the ring was a real surprise. I actually thought it was another bottle cap, but when I grabbed it my finger punched the wet sand out of the middle of it. I was a nice end to the day.

• Like 2

Beach hunt # 12 is at another beach I visit every once in a while. High EMI there and today was no exception. Decided to use the EQ 800 for a couple of hours to see if any tiny gold was around. None for me. I did get a 1936 Buffalo Nickel with it at about 6ā€. So, some sand did get moved around for that to be so close. Switched to the GPX for about 4 hours. Short hunt as it was raining on and off and getting a bit chilly when the sun starts to get low in the horizon. Still some issues running it, but I managed to squeak out a couple of silvers and another Buffalo, along with 2 wheats. The usual junk targets were found as well. This beach does not lose sand easily, so getting to the silver layer is very tough. Those 2 dimes did not come in well, basically slightly repeatable ground noise, while listening to slight EMI chatter. If somehow 6-8 inches of sand was to miraculously disappear, it would be silver and copper cent heaven. Iā€™m always glad to get out and have some fun digging at the beach. The season is changing fast, so Iā€™ve got to beef up my clothing very soon. Canā€™t wait for the next hunt. šŸ™‚

PB260222.JPG

PB260224.JPG

PB260226.JPG

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1

Surprised those mercs are in such great condition! what is the large coin/token with the eagle?

Glad you got out, and great stuff again. Sorry no gold.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Surprised those mercs are in such great condition! what is the large coin/token with the eagle?

Glad you got out, and great stuff again. Sorry no gold.

The Mercs were in an upper part of the beach where not much water hits them. Plus I tried a new method of cleaning them right as they come out of the sand. Eventually, I will have some chemicals in a vile to drop them into while I hunt, but for now I chose the unprepared man's version.... rub them with the sand to remove the slight oxidized layer. šŸ˜„ Not kidding šŸ˜² Hey it worked. Get them before the light hits them and darkens them. The large token is odd. It resembles the 1787 Massachusetts Cent on one side and the other side uses other state coin verbiage, along with a landscape scene, reminding me of the Vermont Tensium landscape copper. I did not try it on a magnet but it read very poorly - thinking iron core. weird token for sure, looks gold plated. I wonder if I can turn it in for a new machine šŸ˜„ Don't feel bad for me not getting any gold, it's reserved for Joe!šŸ™‚ He has quotas to fill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good report, as typical from you, school.Ā  1926-S is the 5th lowest mintage among Mercs.Ā  Nice to see someone East of the Mississippi find a low mintage coin from the San Francisco mint.Ā  Western detectorists get more than their share, greedy )&*#&#*(^s.Ā  šŸ˜

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

LOL You sure have no problems with quotas !

(and you made me look bad ,,,,againĀ šŸ¤Ŗ)

Ā 

The '39 merc looks almost new....šŸ˜³

Naw, your beaches are just stingy. That's why I stay down this end šŸ˜„ I may venture out to NH or even to Ogunquit beach if I feel like driving and checking out new beaches. I like the ones that have lots of rocks and high dunes mostly. The sandy, flat ones are harder to get to a layer that has what I'm looking for.Ā  The Mercs came from a 40's to 50's layer, so some of them should look fairly new. The beach dictates my quotas šŸ˜­

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Good report, as typical from you, school.Ā  1926-S is the 5th lowest mintage among Mercs.Ā  Nice to see someone East of the Mississippi find a low mintage coin from the San Francisco mint.Ā  Western detectorists get more than their share, greedy )&*#&#*(^s.Ā  šŸ˜

Them west coast guys are spoiled. šŸ˜„ I hear rumors that every park is loaded with rare "S" mint coins. Most time they just chuck them back. šŸ¤” Thanks for the info on the Merc, I didn't get a chance to look it up. This year is tough so far. Where I am, the sand just doesn't want to wash out to sea yet.

• Like 1

SOHNox

I do the southern beachesĀ  but more in off season to park closer to the sand.

The one nearby is a mile of sand with rocky outcrops on both ends .

I have a season pass.Ā šŸ™ƒ

Murphy has just been getting in the way ...Ā Ā 

(I was going today but dead battery fixed that idea. arrrrrrrrrrrrr.)

Ā 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

SOHNox

I do the southern beachesĀ  but more in off season to park closer to the sand.

The one nearby is a mile of sand with rocky outcrops on both ends .

I have a season pass.Ā šŸ™ƒ

Murphy has just been getting in the way ...Ā Ā 

(I was going today but dead battery fixed that idea. arrrrrrrrrrrrr.)

Ā 

So do you need a permit to park or detect Maine beaches? I'm assuming it's off season right now? I watch NH Beach metal detecting on YouTube and he has some really rocky beaches that I think the GPX would do great on. If the weather holds up I may try some soon.

It's a shame you don't have someone nearby you can borrow their QED and try it on one of your beach hunts, I think it'd do a good job and it's handling of EMI is great.Ā Ā  The downside with it is you have to bias towards target size to get the best out of it, biased towards a coin size target it's pretty deep, and biased towards small gold it's not near as deep on deep coins but finds the tiny stuff better.Ā  You can null it's bias so it goes both ways, but of course that's no as good in either direction.Ā  Where it would excel for you is working places the EMI affected detectors struggle.Ā  It's also extremely light, just like swinging a VLF.

It'd be interesting if someone had one they could lend you to try it out and see how it goes.Ā  If I didn't get rid of mine I would have shipped it over to you to try out but to run optimal in the US they need an internal adjustment to suit the different power network.

• Like 2