SOHNox

Permits for state parks in Maine. Think is NH too. Salisbury and Rye are right there near Hampton too.  State park fees are waived for 65+ for Maine seniors.  

NH Beach sold his house and moved to a place a block or so from Hampton Beach , he's there a lot. Pulled some nice finds over the years from watching his vids..( which are a good source to see the beach conditions on).  I don't think I've ever seen him use a PI detector .

I'd like to go down there too. Not sure about on street parking there but there is a state park on that beach with a lot , you just have to detect over the line.  

I was referring to OOB with the parking off season,,,have to be there really early , parking fills in fast. Lots of it but very crowded scene. All day parking is available in the Ocean Ave Lots , mostly closed off season too. 

Shallow slope , no rocks. 

Off season , I can park a block or closer , and they pull the meters too ! No running back to feed the beast. Fresh drops are missing but it's a huge beach. 

There's another access at the north end in Pine Point . with municipal lot a few feet from the sand,  no fee off season . It's small and fills up WAY early. but nada now.

On street only after snow fills in.

The negative low tides are during the night in season and state parks close from dusk to 9am so the public beaches are the only show for minus tides. 

I was in the house band in a OOB beach hotel (Yup, Son's Of The Beach)  and was there every holiday week . plus after retirement I worked the gate at a campground at Pine Point so it's like going home . But I got really sick of the crowds when staying there. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, phrunt said:

It's a shame you don't have someone nearby you can borrow their QED and try it on one of your beach hunts, I think it'd do a good job and it's handling of EMI is great.   The downside with it is you have to bias towards target size to get the best out of it, biased towards a coin size target it's pretty deep, and biased towards small gold it's not near as deep on deep coins but finds the tiny stuff better.  You can null it's bias so it goes both ways, but of course that's no as good in either direction.  Where it would excel for you is working places the EMI affected detectors struggle.  It's also extremely light, just like swinging a VLF.

It'd be interesting if someone had one they could lend you to try it out and see how it goes.  If I didn't get rid of mine I would have shipped it over to you to try out but to run optimal in the US they need an internal adjustment to suit the different power network.

Thanks Simon. I would challenge any machine to survive being @ 20 feet from the Acela train. Some machines can tolerate it with an anti-interference coil or using the GPX in cancel mode, but the depth suffers a lot. If the QED didn't lose depth and could hit coins at 15-20", that would be awesome. I would camp out until I hit every square inch of that beach 😄

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

SOHNox

Permits for state parks in Maine. Think is NH too. Salisbury and Rye are right there near Hampton too.  State park fees are waived for 65+ for Maine seniors.  

NH Beach sold his house and moved to a place a block or so from Hampton Beach , he's there a lot. Pulled some nice finds over the years from watching his vids..( which are a good source to see the beach conditions on).  I don't think I've ever seen him use a PI detector .

I'd like to go down there too. Not sure about on street parking there but there is a state park on that beach with a lot , you just have to detect over the line.  

I was referring to OOB with the parking off season,,,have to be there really early , parking fills in fast. Lots of it but very crowded scene. All day parking is available in the Ocean Ave Lots , mostly closed off season too. 

Shallow slope , no rocks. 

Off season , I can park a block or closer , and they pull the meters too ! No running back to feed the beast. Fresh drops are missing but it's a huge beach. 

There's another access at the north end in Pine Point . with municipal lot a few feet from the sand,  no fee off season . It's small and fills up WAY early. but nada now.

On street only after snow fills in.

The negative low tides are during the night in season and state parks close from dusk to 9am so the public beaches are the only show for minus tides. 

I was in the house band in a OOB beach hotel (Yup, Son's Of The Beach)  and was there every holiday week . plus after retirement I worked the gate at a campground at Pine Point so it's like going home . But I got really sick of the crowds when staying there. 

It's so much easier down here 😄 You pull into the main parking area, use the porta potty and start detecting - no parking fee, no permit required on state or local beaches.

• Oh my! 1

Beach hunt # 13 is at the same EMI beach I was at last time. I had planned on a two-day beach hunt but had too many home things to do, so just one hunt this week. I wanted to get more time on the GPX 6000 and the Equinox, so the 5000 stayed home this time out. Tides were low yesterday so a bit more was exposed on the wet slopes, and that’s always a good thing. Since the low tides were in the afternoon, it was a good time to try the 6000 out in the dry. It really does handle the EMI well with the 14DD coil. Even when the train was approaching it handled well with just a noise cancel. When things change just noise cancel, and it settles down. I also ran auto + on it and normal ground. Manual pick up the EMI a little too much in this hotspot. Buried a quarter at 12” and it picked it up faintly. I bet I could have got another inch out of it. So not deep enough for what I want from it, but it did work out the EMI better than any other Minelab I own. This machine really is designed for the small gold, as it was intended to do. Not as versatile as the 5000, but I can see why the gold guys love this machine! It will stay in my arsenal of machines for completely cleansing the first 12” of all minute targets. Sounds like a negative cleaning up every little scrap, but if you have a very productive beach (or relic) site with very deep targets, it will remove a lot of masking targets. I did later switch to using the Steve’s method of discrimination, so as to not dig the small aluminum. The Equinox performed nicely on some deep, wet sand targets. Although not clean signals, the amount of deep lead weights I got surprised me. If the lead is still there, the gold rings may be there as well. I may try the larger coil in the same situation if tides allow next time out. Although I did not get any gold or silver, I had a great time out with both machines and got a bit more involved on what I can get from them in the areas I hunt. So far, the weather is holding out for some cold, but pleasant hunts.

PC030222.JPG

PC030223.JPG

PC030224.JPG

PC030225.JPG

• Like 7

On 12/3/2021 at 11:39 AM, schoolofhardNox said:

and got a bit more involved on what I can get from them in the areas I hunt.

Love this...!!

I think it is most important to keep the ideas flowing, about the machine and the area hunted. Gives One a reason to come back.. I always try and set myself up with Hope for the next trip back before l leave a spot if things were bleak.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Beach hunt # 14  was a couple of weeks ago and I’m just getting around to posting it. I wasn’t expecting much with a weak low tide and a never ending sanded in beach, so I just enjoyed using the 800 and the 5000 for some fun in the sand. Nothing much notable except maybe the complete herb grinder 😲... 😄  The following week I did a day’s work looking for structures and trying to ID finds without digging any of them.  Archaeologists are fun sometimes. 🙄 They actually wanted to see if any structures were around that could be found by their iron nail components. This is a no dig site until permission is granted. Also, nonferrous guesses on what they may be (flat buttons, coins, etc.)  I used the E Trac for this with an open screen – two tones. Fun, but not as much fun as actually digging them up! Last week I took a break during the holiday, and it had nothing to do with the 28 degree / 17 MPH winds that were scheduled for that day at the beach.🥶 Hoping to get a couple of beach hunts in soon. All is good and I’ll be glad to hit a beach soon. (getting kind of antsy!)  

PC280223.JPG

PC280222.JPG

PC280224.JPG

PC280226.JPG

• Like 7

I'm always happy when removing, and seeing removed, sharp objects from a beach, as I know what it is like; and have treated in my past career, injuries to feet from them! Great job with all your finds; treasure and trash! And Happy New Year!👍👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Beach hunt # 15 is done. Decided to do a very trashy town beach that I have done a couple of times briefly. Was a very low tide and I was hoping it would expose some lower sections that I haven’t seen before. No luck….. just more sand. I probably should have pulled out the GPX, but I decided I wanted to see if the Equinox can get some deep finds along with having the benefit of discrimination. I must say sometime the EQ does not do so well and this beach probably has the most concentration of tiniest black sand than any other beach I have done so far. Barely any signals down low so I decided to try the upper dry areas for older finds. This is an old beach that goes back to seated coins or earlier. I noticed right from the get-go, that I was not getting through the black sand with any of the beach programs. A dime at 2” barely read and this has happened before, so I tried the gold programs. Gold 1 worked well and got me around 5” on that dime but also hit hard on tiny aluminum. Gold 2 was a bit better, so I was happy with that. I didn’t have the day I was expecting to have target wise, as this beach should have more targets, but when I got home, I did notice that there is still some potential here for future hunts. I scored a buffalo nickel by default when I was digging a hole with 3 nails in it. Going over the pile I dug out to get those nails, I got that buffalo. But later on, I noticed one of the cents I found was a wheat cent along with an older spoon and 2 square nails. Square nails on a beach are rare for me and I think they probably come from the late 1800’s to early 1900’s. I did manage to get a fresh drop with the silver earring. Only 1 junk ring that for a second made me hopeful  They guy I ran into detecting had 2 rings, one being silver and told me they were deep. He was surprised how sanded in it was at low tide.  The funny part was that I thought because it was going to be light rain, that I would be almost alone on the beach, but apparently every New Years Day they do a cold plunge into the water to celebrate the New Year. Yep, about 150+ people with kids all over the beach.  😬Hey, it wasn’t the best beach hunt, but I did get silver, a Buffalo and had a fun time out with pretty warm weather in January. Not too shabby!

P1010235.JPG

P1010237.JPG

P1010239.JPG

P1010240.JPG

• Like 6

Isn't this mild winter great? 😀 Another great hunt for you. I'd take a buffalo nickel, some silver and a day outside anytime.

Isn't this beach hunt #1 for 2022? 😀 I guess you have a season rather than a year. You're really doing the beachgoers a favor. 

Tomorrow the mid Atlantic is gonna get slammed with our first really cold day and snow. The only thing good about it is it won't last. 😀

• Like 2