I figured it out. That ring was an early prototype for the zincolns !

I just finished prospecting my yard , had to clear 3-4" of overburden to get to bedrock ,  it's really weird here , kinda looks like??? it's paved. No gold  found there but I think I found out where all the black sand comes from and the car can go about half way out to the road ,waiting for the plows to finish building their additions at the end of the driveway arrrrrgh. Had to get a new digger ,made in Canada, it's called a sno-scoop. :cool:

6 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

I figured it out. That ring was an early prototype for the zincolns !

I just finished prospecting my yard , had to clear 3-4" of overburden to get to bedrock ,  it's really weird here , kinda looks like??? it's paved. No gold  found there but I think I found out where all the black sand comes from and the car can go about half way out to the road ,waiting for the plows to finish building their additions at the end of the driveway arrrrrgh. Had to get a new digger ,made in Canada, it's called a sno-scoop. :cool:

Here too, but only 6" That's why I love beaches.... snow will be gone in one high tide!

Beach hunt # 18 is still a continuation of hunting the same beach that I was getting a lot of copper cents from.  Tide was not very low, and I was determined to try the 17x21 SEF coil to see if I could squeak out anything just beyond the other coils reach. I also want to see if it could actually find a dime size object deep. With the tide down as low as it was going to be, I should have waited to try the big coil. It did work well in popping a lot of clad in a short span, but the sand changes in moisture very fast, and it soon became too jumpy to use without dropping sensitivity a lot. So, I tried the 12.5” coil that gave me trouble a while back and it worked well but soon started acting up also, so I switched to the 11” Detech coil. Smooth as could be. On this beach I prefer the 11” over the other coils as I can crank the 11” and get really good depth and a lot quieter EMI. The others work, but you need to be aware of the saturation of the sand you are hunting. It took a while, but I finally hit the coin / silver line and ended up with 5 silvers, one of which was the ’27 Standing Liberty Quarter – a nice surprise indeed. A cool looking lead soldier as well, and some big chunks of lead really deep. I thought I was digging iron for sure. I did dig some nasty looking globs of iron, so I broke them open to see what they held. No coins trapped inside them iron globs this time around. Still a decent number of copper cents vs zincs and really not a lot of holes dug on this hunt. I’ll probably end up there again next week to hit some areas I didn’t really cover well. Always a pleasure to just unwind and do the best hobby on the planet!!!!!!

P1130241.JPG

P1130242.JPG

P1130243.JPG

P1130245.JPG

P1130246.JPG

• Like 9

Beach hunt # 19 was a later, but better than never hunt, a couple of days after the big storm surge. The weather was supposed to be a snow and possible icy road mix, so I decided to NOT do a beach hunt. 😞 Then a friend posted a video of the storm surge breaking over a wall at the beach, shot a few days previous. I talked myself into going and decided I would travel very slowly if it iced up. Got there no problem. Funny how storms work, as the fist thing I saw on the beach was that the sand was pushed way up high on the beach, higher than I have ever seen it. But just 50 yards from that spot, I noticed about a foot of sand was removed. Let’s give it a go. So, I hit an area that looked lower, and it produced some modern clad and just as I was going to wander away, it produced a Buffalo nickel. And that was the way things happened for most of the day. The Indian head cent was the same scenario - all clad and just that one old coin. I thought this was going to be all I could get, so I figured I would hit an area that I did really well at last year and looked like it was also down 12” of sand. I really hit this area hard before, so I just wanted to see what scraps I could find. Thankfully, that is not how it turned out to be. 🤩There were no scraps to be found, ironically just the opposite. I started to pop out a lot of copper cents, lead, and silver. I wish I started the day there.  I was very excited to see my beach was starting to give up silver again and I’ll probably hit it again later next week. I hope conditions do not change significantly. The weather was tolerable at around 35 degrees for most of the hunt with very mild winds. Great to get out and dig some sand!

P1210242.JPG

P1210243.JPG

P1210244.JPG

P1210245.JPG

P1210247.JPG

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

That the best you could do ?😳 👍😏

Yep, that's all I got. 😄 If only I lived right next to the beach.......🤭

This thread is an amazing read, thanks for taking the time to write it up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phrunt said:

This thread is an amazing read, thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Thanks Simon.  I post these beach hunts because sometimes PI units get a bad reviews for being a dig all machine. I can do this at most of my beaches as long as a specific amount of sand is removed. Too much and everyone can reach them, too little and I just miss them. It's exciting when you dig the first deep coin and you know the layer you are looking for is available. But at the end of the day, I can say that most people will not find these coins with their VLF/MF machines. I barely get them with the GPX.

• Like 3