10 hours ago, Joe D. said:

10 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Cool finds, as always!!👌

I see a few interesting junk items in the bottom pic; large "ring" in center of pic, and a "medallion" bottom right side! What kind of metal for both, just curious?👍👍

That large ring is part of a reign's guide (I think the real name is a terret). As for the medallion, people in this part of the country have this bad habit of buying these medallions and never engraving them 🙄 It was real popular in the 70's-90's. Both items are usually made if nickel plated brass. 

11 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Another major cleanup post ! 

NOBODY can say you're not doing your bit to rid the ground of junk targets !!

Not doing a bad job of finding good stuff either as always !

Envy your digs , always a treat to see what you've found. THX . 

Thanks! I have this love affair with collecting junk 😄 These days I'm happy just pulling any silver. There is also that selfish satisfaction of finding things after a lot of detectors have been through the area. Kind of a challenge to see if you can get something where others couldn't. Hones the skills I guess, but really just there to make excuses for why I waste all day digging for just a couple keepers.😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rvpopeye said:

Would you need an excuse to go there and not detect ?

Keep at it no excuses needed. You got onna them "hobbies"  ! 🖖

Yeah I love my hobbies. I would go detecting no matter what 😵

• Like 5

Amazing job, thanks for sharing your beach adventures !  😁

wor

• Like 1

17 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Obviously, these areas have been hit over the years, so I am just looking for missed signals or signals that had some form of iron next to them. The E Trac may be slow in comparison to modern detectors, but it has that ability to sound off on shallower targets while in the null. I did manage to get 3 silvers and a nice plated pendant that my wife claimed instantly.

Do you have any thoughts on why those silver coins were still there, given the history of detecting in that location?  Those are questions I ask myself repeatedly, but of course we never know the full answer.  Coins on edge are a big one.  Deeper coins are another.  Nearby trash....  But an easy one:  I figure a coil just never got over it.

I always enjoy your posts, even when I have to fight back the envy.  😁

• Like 4

I'd guess the coins were still there as people are using VLF's, then schoolofhardNox comes along with his GPX and finds all the goodies they leave behind that are too deep, not only that he's hoovering up every bit of metal as he has no discrimination which is upping his chances of finding good stuff over someone that's being fussy with their digs.  He has the most chance of success possible with that combination.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Hardtimehermit said:

Amazing job, thanks for sharing your beach adventures !  😁

Thanks. It's the only detecting I can do all winter long here in New England. I'm not doing nearly as good as last year but it's been a weird beach season for me.

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Do you have any thoughts on why those silver coins were still there, given the history of detecting in that location?  Those are questions I ask myself repeatedly, but of course we never know the full answer.  Coins on edge are a big one.  Deeper coins are another.  Nearby trash....  But an easy one:  I figure a coil just never got over it.

I always enjoy your posts, even when I have to fight back the envy.  😁

Only one of the quarters was standing straight up and down and also had what looks like a part of a sparkler wire about 3" from it. The other 2 silvers should have been found. I'm wondering..... even though machines are better, I've noticed a lot of new detectorists are looking for that perfect signal. In a trashy area, signals blend so maybe they passed on some of these.  Depth was definitely not an issue as they were relatively shallow, 4-6". Plus people swing way too fast when they are in a big location.

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'd guess the coins were still there as people are using VLF's, then schoolofhardNox comes along with his GPX and finds all the goodies they leave behind that are too deep, not only that he's hoovering up every bit of metal as he has no discrimination which is upping his chances of finding good stuff over someone that's being fussy with their digs.  He has the most chance of success possible with that combination.

That's usually me 😄 This time I cheated with the E Trac using quite a bit of discrimination and mostly tried to cherry pick them silvers. On the beach it's all GPX... in the grass it's E Trac mostly. Now if there was a place that had little iron, I would GPX it for sure. Relic hunting in the woods is definitely GPX territory for me. Got to pick your weapon and stick to it!!

• Like 4

Silver coins have been around a lot longer than most modern day coins.

In Australia Silver (Ag) Coins were changed from Sterling Silver 92.5% to 50% in 1946 and removed by 1966 with the exception Round 50¢ coin that lasted a very short time @ 80% Silver.

In the USA ......No silver dollar coins were struck by the Mint and issued into circulation after 1935. The silver dollar drought almost ended in 1964, when new legislation allowed the Denver Mint to strike Peace Dollars. However, none were released to the public.

At the same time, legislation was also being worked to remove silver from coins because of the ongoing shortage. On July 23, 1965, President Johnson approved the Coinage Act of 1965, which removed silver from circulating coins and authorized that clad coins be used for the half dollar, quarter, and dime.

So from my experience. The silver coins have had a lot of time and sand movement to find the the deeper and best hidding places until a large beach cutting exposes them to the Metal Detector or a better Detector and Operator finds them. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, geof_junk said:

So from my experience. The silver coins have had a lot of time and sand movement to find the the deeper and best hidding places until a large beach cutting exposes them to the Metal Detector or a better Detector and Operator finds them. 

Yep, those coins are still down there waiting for us to find them. You never know which part of the beach will be exposed enough to let us get them. Sometimes it's just one small section that gives up a coin or two. Other times it's a nice stretch than can give up 30 or 40 of them. What I don't understand yet is that when I get a really hot spot and can dig coins every couple of feet, the gold rings are missing. Surely if the silver and copper coins were not found, the gold should be there as well. Every once in a while I will find a gold ring in that coin patch.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Beach hunt # 31 was a two-beach hunt. I had a friend offer up a small beach that he hunts and was interested to see if there was anything deeper to find. Some silver jewelry and a gold ring were found previously by him. I did a short hunt there for about 2 hours and did not score any silver coins. This beach may be too new, or things are just too deep. I hit enough coins for the short time detecting with the deepest being a memorial cent at 17”. So, maybe the silver layer is out of reach or just not there. To not waste the day, I headed to my silver beach which was about ½ hour from this first beach. I hunted that for about 5 ½ hours and managed 3 silver dimes. The beach looked good with a lot of bigger rocks exposed, but I also saw bucket loader tracks, so it was pushed around a lot. I don’t know about anyone else, but I never have much luck when they level up the beach mechanically. It wasn’t my most productive beach day, but it was still nice to get out.

P4220243.JPG

P4220244.JPG

P4220245.JPG

P4220246.JPG

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 1