Coil Ear Bracing: My Approach

ColonelDan

I'm sure there is a better picture than this somewhere.

On 9/12/2021 at 5:28 AM, ColonelDan said:

2064152610_CoilEarStiffener.jpg.efb06e669f4978e64b7f0b3e003e1e16.jpg

Coil ear bracing has been the subject of numerous posts so I thought I'd add my approach. Yes, I've used several different  designs of stiffeners and sad to say, my coil ears still cracked and I was out of business until I could replace the coil. Fortunately, those coils were still under warranty. My concern was finding a way to prevent this recurring after the warranty expired.

The ultimate solution is, without doubt, for Minelab to field a redesigned coil ear that is a lot tougher than the current design. Failing that, the best approach in my opinion is to epoxy the stiffener to the coil making the stiffener, the coil and the ears one solid unit. Midalake has done this and as I see it, ensures a solid repair. My concern with this approach would be two fold. One, would that void whatever warranty remains and two, if the coil is sent to Minelab for replacement, there goes the stiffener.

I wanted a method by which I could attach the stiffener to the coil, be able to remove it if necessary and still use the coil cover.

mn90403 has done this as shown on another post within this forum by using zip ties. A workable approach but his method shows the zip ties over the coil cover so you couldn't remove the cover to clean the coil without cutting the ties. Having said that, his system will work as he intended.

I thought I'd share my approach which I've found to be simple yet effective in accomplishing my goals. The key is making the ear stiffener one with the coil so even if the ears snap, the stiffener holds the coil and shaft in place. I decided to use zip ties but in a somewhat different way than mn90403. I wanted the stiffener to be solidly attached and still be able to remove and replace the skid plate.

I threaded the zip tie through and around the stiffener and bare coil without the skid plate attached. I then installed the skid plate over the coil as before covering the zip ties. The skid plate remains in place, the stiffener is solidly attached to the coil and there is no modification to the coil which risks voiding the warranty and if I have to return the coil, I can save the stiffener. Bottom line; with this approach, even if the ears break, I'm still in business.

It works for me....

Dan

notice the difference between your coil stiffener and the one I have.  Your slides over the ears but sits on top of the coil.  The one I have slides over the ears and also straddles the coil. On yours all of the lateral force is directed to the ears themselves with some on the ziptie.  On mine, the lateral force is shared with the ears and the coil body as my coil ear stiffener also slides down over the edge of the coil itself, not just the ears.  Something to think about in the different designs of coil ear stiffeners.  

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 6:09 PM, Joe D. said:

ColonelDan,

Where the He*l you been???, long time no see!!!

Iceland.  Mary and I were on a cruise.   Beautiful place to visit but I'm happy we live in Florida!  😀

• Like 1

Also, began modding my ML coil bolts, which I think are part of the problem, in my opinion! I filled them with silicone, and set in a nylon washer in each, just above the rim of the bolt! If I need to, I can further modify the bolt edges with a more rounded profile, with a file or dremel!

Now I can use "as is", or add a thin, soft washer to the bolts, without it collapsing into the hollow bolts interior!👍👍

20210920_105606.jpg

• Like 2