Coil Cable Repair. Snake Skinz.

I had one coil that had a cable that was badly sun burnt and brittle. A bit of heat shrink and tape fixed it, but looked nasty. The Snake Skinz covered the mess nicely. Looks like a useful solution to a common problem. Probably will fit most coils, certaily good camo for repairs. All the best.

• Like 3

Wow for a minute there I was thinking that it went over the whole shaft cable and all as those are basically down sized fishing rod protectors...but you did give me a good idea as I have lots of them! thanks for the heads up.

strick

• Like 1

12 hours ago, karelian said:

I had one coil that had a cable that was badly sun burnt and brittle. A bit of heat shrink and tape fixed it, but looked nasty. The Snake Skinz covered the mess nicely. Looks like a useful solution to a common problem. Probably will fit most coils, certaily good camo for repairs. All the best.

Guess I am not quite getting it? 

Are these waterproof?  If not how would it help broken cracking cables? Once it is on/applied how would you know if you had a further cable cracking problems?   

Snake Skinz are not waterproof, it will shade the cable preventing or slowing further UV damage. You can still inspect the coil when the Snake Skinz is on. I repair coils with tape, heat shrink rubber tubing, liquid rubber film that is painted on. All effective but  look terrible, the Snake Skinz is purely cosmetic in that it improves UV protection and appearance. I applied these remedies before the cable broke and exposed the inner wires. Living in Australia I think it is a good preventative for sun damage, whilst looking kind of cool. All the best.

• Like 1

It's also available on Amazon as generic rolls in different diameters, ie. 1/2, 3/4, 1",  etc., lenghts, and colors! It's mainly an abrasion, and appearance cover for automotive wiring, in the form of an interwoven mesh! But I found that the size that Snake Skinz comes in won't go over all coupling sizes! Hence, how i found alternative sources!!👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1