Deep Tech Vista X Demon

The ground is too dry & hard on my red dirt sites right now so I re hunted a deep sand site that was in cultivation long ago. I ran the Vista X with the 12X14 Demon coil. Targets are sparse, but what is left is deep or masked by iron. Nothing noteworthy found but I was impressed again at the ability of this bigger coil. Excellent depth even on very small targets. 22 short case @ 8", .22 bullet about the same. Of course I also dug a half dozen bent cut nails at 10-12" but that's okay too. Even when I moved into the nail bed areas the coil showed surprising separation. I dug an iron backed overall button that I know I had been over before. It didn't sound good but it did sound "not as bad" as the nails. That's what I'm down to on this site. But the digging is easy and it was nice to be out.

I would like to ask Steve to consider a separate Forum for Deep Tech detectors. I think they are that good.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, JCR said:

I would like to ask Steve to consider a separate Forum for Deep Tech detectors. I think they are that good

They are good detectors. Forums are based more on activity level than anything else though, and Deep Tech related posts are too few and far between for a dedicated forum. If that ever changed, then it could happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Always curious if the Vista X has a momentary toggle for all metal and 2nd disc.

The 2 other machines I had my eye on is the Warrior and Gold Gain. Both have independant gain and sensitivity. If they had a threshold adjustment for the all metal mode I would probably go for the Gold Gain and also get the smaller coil. Not sure how good all metal would be without a threshold, I like to hear the variations in the ground as I swing especially for deep and small targets that are so easy to miss in disc mode.

• Like 2

I'm not positive on the Gold Gain & Warrior. On the X, the Threshold is adjusted along with the Gain to get stable for the site conditions. You can run on the ragged edge with the TH sizzling in the background but it's not the steady hum like a traditional AM, This is true for the Disc side also. On the Vista X, the AM & Disc are practically equal in performance. You have to have fresh, hot batteries to see any difference at all. I run in 2 tone Disc, adjusting the Iron/low tone volume to suite, never silent. I use the AM to pinpoint deeper targets & outline big targets. You can monitor your Ground Balance while in Disc same as AM.

It is a unique machine in so many good ways; VERY EMI stable, very precise Disc & a real pleasure to hunt with. They are also a bargain.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

They are good detectors. Forums are based more on activity level than anything else though, and Deep Tech related posts are too few and far between for a dedicated forum. If that ever changed, then it could happen.

I understand. That is a very reasonable policy. I just wasn't sure where to make the post on Deep Tech. Hopefully there will be more mention of them. Understanding your logic also makes me really appreciate your making a seeming exception for Tarsacci as an American start up with exciting technological possibilities. Thanks

• Like 2

Well, it may seem like an exception but it’s not. There were and are plenty of posts on the MDT, so the forum got set up. People post there daily.

I have the ability to collect and move posts to various locations at will. I’ve done a forum search on Deep Tech, and there are only a handful of posts over literally years of forum activity. Long story short, there only used to be one forum here, and each sub-forum is the result of organic growth driven by the forum membership. I actually tried to force a couple forums into existence, and they went nowhere, and were deleted. It takes a certain critical mass to keep a forum active. All I can say is talk a bunch of people into posting regularly about Deep Tech detectors, and I’d be more than happy to set up a forum for them. :smile: It does not take much to get my attention, but it’s got to be more than a post every couple months or more.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

When Tesoro went out of business I emailed Deeptech on making a dual discrim machine like the Tejon. They ended up going a bit further with the 2 tone discriminators. I think with the 2 tone and single tone you can do a bit more than the Tejon. I mean in the sens you can run your first disc with minimal (lower discrim) and 2nd as a 2 tone with a higher break or run it with just low and high break on disc much like the Tejon in single tone or run first as all metal and 2nd at what ever breaks you want.

Tejon I always run the primary discrim lower than the 2nd. I also never run it full time in all metal simply because the recovery speed is very slow compared to many other machines out there making it difficult to hear smaller targets. From what I heard the Vista X has a much quicker recovery speed.

One of the things that kept me from getting a Vista X was the location of the toggle switches. I really hoped they would do a trigger like the Tejon, Racers and F75 have. That is probably the best spot for pin pointing.

For threshold and listening to the changes in ground with a nice steady and smooth hum I think the Kruzer and Gold Racer are incredible for that.

Now for the independent gain and sensitivity, the reason that I still thing other manufacturers should do the same is simple. Gain is the over all power of the machine and sensitivity is the break point of where the machine responds to what is ground phase and what is a target. That fine adjustment can really help pick out targets.

How I would run it in the field is simple. In the case of deep searching you can simply crank up the gain and start to drop the sensitivity to settle the machine down and make it run quiet and not chattery. As gain goes up you start to pick up more mineralization and I can sort of equate that with looking down a foggy road.

Another thing you can do is run the gain really low and sensitivity up so you can essentially hunt recent drops and small jewelry without blasting the ground and picking up deeper targets.

Between the Warrior at 18khz and the Gold Gain at 30khz I think I would lean towards the Gold Gain for myself as I have a few other machines in the lower khz. The Warrior with the large coil supposedly can go very deep and hit higher conductor coins in the 18"+ mark. That sounds great but I think there are only a handful of spots around me that might possibly produce a target that deep but I tend to think it would be unlikely. That doesn't go without saying that the Warrior would rule meadows that havent been cut or where grass is a bit higher.

Still not sure why they wouldnt put a threshold control on the Gold Gain, basically without it is just a high frequency coin and relic machine. Not that its a bad thing but the name doesn't quite fit the machine.

• Like 4

As an example, Find's Treasure Forums has a Deeptech  Forum which doesn't get much attention, it's a pity. I use a Vista X and find less junk with that than my Equinox and the simplicity of the X is a pleasure to use. I just crank my main discrimination up until it can still pick up a Threepence and it will pick up every other pre decimal coin I'm looking for and I've never dug a nail they don't exist with the X. Turn the disc up a touch over 40 and you knock out aluminium screw caps but loose Threepence's, that's OK if there's to many screw caps. If you get a loud  high tone lift the coil a foot off the ground, if it's still reasonably loud more likely a aluminium can. Vista X is like my Tesoro Cibola but on steroids.             

• Like 2

Review by Keith Southern, with video:

DeepTech Vista X metal detector

16 kHz frequency
New electronics box - 2.5 times smaller than old design
New improved battery box design
New coil design - deeper and with better separation
Wider discrimination - offers ability beyond simple ferrous/non-ferrous operation for modern sites
Twin discrimination modes
Easy switching between ALL Metal, 2 Tone and ALT DISC modes
Iron Volume control adjusts volume of ferrous tone
IP68 connectors with gold pins
Waterproof connectors and an O-ring between the box and the front panel for even better isolation on humid weather
2.87 lbs (1300 grams) without 8 AA batteries installed

deeptech-vista-x-metal-detector.jpg
deeptech-vista-x-control-panel.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/13/2021 at 3:05 PM, kac said:

Always curious if the Vista X has a momentary toggle for all metal and 2nd disc.

Not sure if anyone answered this specific question... the 2nd disc uses a momentary toggle; i.e., if you don't keep pushing the trigger forward it snaps back to the middle position (primary disc). You get All Metal mode by pulling the trigger towards you; it locks into place so is non-momentary.

This can cause a bit of a glitch due to the two triggers on the machine.  If one is pulled back into All Metal, the machine itself is in All Metal, even if the other trigger is in primary disc.  The giveaway is when nails start high-toning 🙂

-Ken

• Like 2