Deep Tech Vista X Demon

Was wondering about that. Tejon just has the one momentary 3 way trigger so pushing is 2nd disc and pulling is all metal/pinpoint.

2 tone option on the Vista X does add a little more flexibility in operation. Tejon you really have to rely on tone roll and pitch.

• Like 1

The audio on the Vista X has a lot of intelligent nuance to it, especially with the Iron volume raised, It blends theĀ  low & high according to the target, relative to the Disc setting.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kitz said:

Not sure if anyone answered this specific question... the 2nd disc uses a momentary toggle; i.e., if you don't keep pushing the trigger forward it snaps back to the middle position (primary disc). You get All Metal mode by pulling the trigger towards you; it locks into place so is non-momentary.

This can cause a bit of a glitch due to the two triggers on the machine. Ā If one is pulled back into All Metal, the machine itself is in All Metal, even if the other trigger is in primary disc. Ā The giveaway is when nails start high-toning šŸ™‚

Ā Ā  -Ken

The sole purpose of two triggers is for left and right handed people. I can't see that causing any glitch if nails have been properly discriminated out. I've never had a iron nail high tone. Turn your primary disc up to disc out all nails.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JCR said:

The audio on the Vista X has a lot of intelligent nuance to it, especially with the Iron volume raised, It blends theĀ  low & high according to the target, relative to the Disc setting.

That is really good to know, may spring for the Gold Gain if there are nuances to the audio. I was affraid they would have too heavily synthesized response.

Curious if you slow crawl the coil over a gold ring and a square pull tab can you hear the difference? On the Tejon you can hear how flat aluminum audio is but of course that can be tough to tell in a noisy park šŸ™‚

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kac said:

That is really good to know, may spring for the Gold Gain if there are nuances to the audio. I was affraid they would have too heavily synthesized response.

Curious if you slow crawl the coil over a gold ring and a square pull tab can you hear the difference? On the Tejon you can hear how flat aluminum audio is but of course that can be tough to tell in a noisy park šŸ™‚

Recovery is fast so you should hear separateĀ  low and a high tone. I found the smaller than stock coils work better for me.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Detecta said:

The sole purpose of two triggers is for left and right handed people. I can't see that causing any glitch if nails have been properly discriminated out. I've never had a iron nail high tone. Turn your primary disc up to disc out all nails.

What I was trying to say is that if one trigger is accidently pulled back into All Metal, the machine itself is in All Metal regardless of where the other trigger is set. For example, I normally use the right trigger and ignore the left one, but occasionally the left one does get bumped into All Metal without me noticing (at first).Ā  Does your X still discriminate if one of the triggers is in All Metal?

Ā  -Ken

28 minutes ago, Kitz said:

What I was trying to say is that if one trigger is accidently pulled back into All Metal, the machine itself is in All Metal regardless of where the other trigger is set. For example, I normally use the right trigger and ignore the left one, but occasionally the left one does get bumped into All Metal without me noticing (at first).Ā  Does your X still discriminate if one of the triggers is in All Metal?

Ā  -Ken

All metal does not discriminate and works as vco where the audio pitch and loudness increases as targets are bigger and closer to the coil. I wished the put the toggle as a trigger as other manufacturers did, Ergonomically it just makes sense.

I use the All metal for target pinpointing and judging size and depth, just takes a little practice. That along with the roundness of the tone in discriminate mode (vco setting on pitch pot) gives you some nuances in disc. Changing pitch just flattens the audio out and I never use it. Other purpose is for ground balancing. Set my threshold so it is just stead then pull the trigger and bob the coil and adjust as needed.

Bigger difference between the Tejon and Vista X is the Vista has the 3 modes, all metal, low/high tone, discriminate single tone.

Still not sure why on the Warrior and especially the Gold Gain they never had a threshold pot. Gold Gain at 30khz and a tiny coil I think has the potential to be a bit of a nugget hunter. Never really hunted all metal on any of my machines without hearing just a little hum, I would be affraid of missing a target and I like to hear the ground changes as that helps me keep the machine gb.

End of the day it probably doesn't matter that much.

• Like 1

Kac, I have the Vista Smart Plus and also wouldn't mind a Gold Gain too. I've had a Tejon that really liked.

The Tejon has a language I haven't seen with the Vista Smart+. You get that sweet tone on a good target with the Tejon. The Tejon is noisy in iron but doesn't false on iron. The Vista Smart+ runs quiet thru the iron. I would say the depth and separation of the Vista detector is on par with the Tejon. With the Smart+ and disc maxed, it removes most foil. With the Vista when you disc out a nail it is gone. You will not get a sound over the nail.

I really like how quiet the Vista is in iron. Having the Smart+ I don't see a need for a Tejon. The Tejon is a little lighter but the weight on the Smart+ isn't bad.

I have a 7x11 coil and the Supersix 5.5x8 coil. Both coils the depth is good.

I think you would like the Vista Gold Gain. Even with the higher frequency the depth is there. Add some neg. ground balance like you can with the Tejon and it adds more depth.

Ā 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an interesting point about the Deeptech Vista X I found on Dankowski Detectors Forum.Ā  Ā 

JCRĀ [Ā PMĀ ]
Re: Minelab Equinox owners - QuestionĀ New
October 12, 2021 09:34PM
Not Minelab or Equinox related but to Tom's EMI observations; on Steve H's site there is an interesting discussion on the new Detech Arrow coil. This is intended to be an updated Bigfoot/Cleansweep type coil. It was stated that the original Whites Bigfoot for the DFX had a figure 8 coil winding that gave the coil very good EMI mitigation. Also the polarity of the windings were different than "normal". Maybe some of the looking back Tom is doing? Also it was mentioned to me by someone who should know that the Deeptech Vista X uses a reversed polarity for it's coil & that is a big part of it's high resistance to EMI interference. It would be great if the answer to the EMI problem was fairly simple but just overlooked.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...