Plantar Fasciitis, Or🤬!! My Heel Really Hurts!!

Joe D.

Hello All,

Just a warning for anyone wearing unsupported footwear! The "malady" referenced above can hopefully be preventable, or at least reduced, for us "older" folks here!!

I have occasional flare-ups, if I don't pay attention to my footwear support! My sandybeach footwear, hit me with a vengeance today! As I (stupidity) thought, I was healed enough from a less severe bout, from about 2 weeks ago! 

I had switched from "water shoes" to above the ankle neoprene "dive boots" with a non-skid bottom, to keep all the sand from grinding my toes to hamburger, on beach/surf hunts last year! They are flat bottomed with little support! And that was with inserts!

My initial half mile walk was fine, with only minor discomfort! But upon my first "deep" scoop with that foot, I felt a pop, and it felt like someone had just "shot" me in the heal! But I continued to hunt with the after-effects anyway! Not smart, but I was just starting! You know how it is!

Let's just say, the rest of the hunt, and return trip, along with the rest of the day, has not been fun! I'll probably need a few cortisone shots, crutches, and a new pair of "water boots"! 

If anyone has some "tried and true" suggestions to keep the support, and the sand out, on and off shore, I'm all ears! Thanks!!👍👍

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Sorry for your foot problems and wish you a speedy recovery.

Grandfather always said if you are going to work at anything wear the right shoes for your own good.

In your case you might be able to find comfortable boot for the beach with some support. Also check into some good inserts without the supports on the heals, they are solid gel items and make your feet feel great.

Good luck

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Hello All,

Just a warning for anyone wearing unsupported footwear! The "malady" referenced above can hopefully be preventable, or at least reduced, for us "older" folks here!!

I have occasional flare-ups, if I don't pay attention to my footwear support! My sandybeach footwear, hit me with a vengeance today! As I (stupidity) thought, I was healed enough from a less severe bout, from 2 weeks ago! 

I had switched from "water shoes" to above the ankle neoprene "dive boots" with a non-skid bottom, to keep all the sand from grinding my toes to hamburger, on beach/surf hunts last year! They are flat bottomed with little support! And that was with inserts!

My initial half mile walk was fine, with only minor discomfort! But upon my first "deep" scoop with that foot, I felt a pop, and it felt like someone had just "shot" me in the heal! But I continued to hunt with the after-effects anyway! Not smart, but I was just starting! You know how it is!

Let's just say, the rest of the hunt, and return trip, along with the rest of the day, has not been fun! I'll probably need a few cortisone shots, crutches, and a new pair of "water boots"! 

If anyone has some "tried and true" suggestions to keep the support, and the sand out, on and off shore, I'm all ears! Thanks!!👍👍

Major reason for your condition is chronic magnesium deficiency which combined with lack of vitamin D causes your body to not use serum calcium. It can cause other problems such as kidney stones,bursitis. Get a good mulitvitamin and mineral supplement and eat a few more salads as vegetables have a good amount of magnesium. My wife had that condition and was suffering for a couple months with little help from her doctor. I researched it and convinced her to do as I've told you. She now eats more salads than I do,lol. She recovered and hasn't had any issues with it in over a decade. In addition to mag and vitamin D3, trace minerals which contain boron and adding some bromelain should get you back to swinging in a couple months. If you don't you might take years if ever to get back out there.

• Like 5

I feel your pain , not quite as severe though. I've got many different water shoes/boots/socks. The sand eats my feet up too. I switch between them often and many times go barefoot , but I know that's not good. Even though it toughens up my feet.

I have spent probably $700 on all sorts of inserts , etc. And what is wild is one of the cheapest works the best for me. They are Walk-Fits. About $20 and it fits under the heel and has an aggressive arch. Also has a few different arch pads included that can adjust the height for you comfort. I slide one under my foot , then a thin ankle high neoprene or lycra sock over it. Then I slide my foot into my ankle high , zippered , hard soled , dive boot. Works for me. GL...

• Like 3

I have the best support bushwalking boots here in aust. that I use when off-track. The main reason I have them is while detecting during the 80's I did a small jump across a loaming trench and hear a load shot like sound. It was my Achilles heel tendon snap. I took 6 weeks to be able to walk normal. luckily it was still connected, but over 30 years later I can feel that scare that it caused. SO WATCH OUT for your footwear choice.

• Like 3

On 9/13/2021 at 12:38 AM, Valens Legacy said:

Grandfather always said if you are going to work at anything wear the right shoes for your own good.

Caleb, 

Good advice from a very smart, and "gone to soon" man, that I had a "too short" time to know!!🙏😔 

On 9/13/2021 at 1:45 AM, ospreypaul said:

Major reason for your condition is chronic magnesium deficiency which combined with lack of vitamin D causes your body to not use serum calcium. 

Paul,

Good advice, and believe it or not, been doing all that you said, for years! Mag, Multi, and all!! It's when I forget for too long, that I'm not 20-40 years old anymore, and (try to) power through an injury, or chronic problem, that i get a dose of 57 year old reality!😬👍

On 9/13/2021 at 1:57 AM, King-Of-Bling said:

feel your pain , not quite as severe though. I've got many different water shoes/boots/socks. 

Thanks KOB,

I'm going to be looking for the correct shoes/boots to work! May take a bit of trial and error though!👍

On 9/13/2021 at 3:50 AM, geof_junk said:

have the best support bushwalking boots here in aust. that I use when of track. 

Thanks Geof,

Land use, i do pretty good with the right footwear! It's that water/sand thing that is hard to cover! But I know that there are probably many here, that already have this dialed in! And i would like to see me, or any others, get the right combination, to prevent further problems!👍

On 9/13/2021 at 7:24 AM, AZ Jim said:

These sure help 

Thanks Jim,

I actually found those same ones yesterday👌, and ordered a few!! Much easier than an ace wrap! And fit under regular socks!!👍👍

• Thanks 1

Research for a proper physical therapist and pay the money for proper fitted orthotics, you can then put those in any type of footwear, except sandals.  They will last for years.  By the time you pay for all the cheap fixes you will have payed for them.

• Like 2

Sorry this happened Joe, with your difficult beaches at best it sucks to get an additional problem. Here's to a quick recovery!🍻

Whenever I'm buying shoes arch support is the first thing I look for. Never had a problem with beach sand, but knowing I'm going to have to walk on sand is enough.

However we never know when we're gonna get that "pop" anyway. 🤬

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

Research for a proper physical therapist and pay the money for proper fitted orthotics, you can then put those in any type of footwear, except sandals.  They will last for years.  By the time you pay for all the cheap fixes you will have payed for them.

I did the custom orthotics years ago, when I first had this crop up; and was working! But they were hard as a rock, and could not get wet! Technology has much improved since than, so I may revisit that at some point with the ortho doc! 👍👍

• The title was changed to Plantar Fasciitis, Or🤬!! My Heel Really Hurts!!