Plantar Fasciitis, Or🤬!! My Heel Really Hurts!!

Joe D.

F350,

No big deal, but I was more concerned that maybe some people here, may not be aware of this ever becoming an issue!  And few will ever have this problem, so it's more of a "heads up" to be aware of!!

Sorta like after someone sprains an ankle, it is more prone to happen again, due to weakened tendons and ligaments!👍👍

• Like 1

Some very good suggestions above. I had plantar fasciitis some years ago, I went to a foot doctor that took foot imprints to make shoe/ boot inserts for around $200, I wore them for a few months and I was very pleased that the condition went away. I still have the inserts just in case. Good luck Joe D, hope you get better. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

F350,

No big deal, but I was more concerned that maybe some people here, may not be aware of this ever becoming an issue!  And very few will ever have this problem, so it's more of a "heads up" to be aware of!!

Sorta like after someone sprains an ankle, it is more prone to happen again, due to weakened tendons and ligaments!👍👍

I am having this problem right now and heading for a MRI this week. Checking for a fractured something or other. 

I stepped on a really pointed small rock I never saw coming. Took it right in front of the heel. 

Was just checking on inserts. Kind of like Joe, thought I was over it, but 4 days of beach hunting put it back on fire.  I do doubt this is "vitamin" thing as I regularly take the necessary stuff. 

Flaring tendons are a "B" to deal with.  

• Oh my! 1

8 minutes ago, midalake said:

Flaring tendons are a "B" to deal with.  

Bet it's called "Posterior Fasciitis"...

🤣

• Haha 2

• The title was changed to Plantar Fasciitis, Or🤬!! My Heel Really Hurts!!

I have a heel bone spur, had 3 months of planar fasciitis symptoms until about a month ago and still have partially torn tendons in my left ankle from straining it while trying to deal with the first two ailments.........I've been in a lower leg boot for almost 4 weeks and am trying to ween myself off of using it. I have had doctor prescribed, expensive orthotics for years. So, for me, getting the Covid 19 weight off (about 15 extra pounds) and staying on flat land only for a while longer (no mountain goat prospecting) is a must.

Anyone suffering from any of these foot issues definitely has my sympathy.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Sorry to hear that Jeff, heal quickly!

It's that much harder, when your used to getting out to do what you want, and then told by doc's to sideline for awhile! Especially when the weather is agreeable!

And good point about Covid/Summer pounds! Jumping back too fast, to beach hunting here, after being parked in the A/C; except for yard work,etc... was too much on the foot! Footwear not withstanding! I should have eased into it better with some Park hunts! Lesson(s) learned!👍👍

12 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Hello All,

Just a warning for anyone wearing unsupported footwear! The "malady" referenced above can hopefully be preventable, or at least reduced, for us "older" folks here!!

I have occasional flare-ups, if I don't pay attention to my footwear support! My sandybeach footwear, hit me with a vengeance today! As I (stupidity) thought, I was healed enough from a less severe bout, from about 2 weeks ago! 

I had switched from "water shoes" to above the ankle neoprene "dive boots" with a non-skid bottom, to keep all the sand from grinding my toes to hamburger, on beach/surf hunts last year! They are flat bottomed with little support! And that was with inserts!

My initial half mile walk was fine, with only minor discomfort! But upon my first "deep" scoop with that foot, I felt a pop, and it felt like someone had just "shot" me in the heal! But I continued to hunt with the after-effects anyway! Not smart, but I was just starting! You know how it is!

Let's just say, the rest of the hunt, and return trip, along with the rest of the day, has not been fun! I'll probably need a few cortisone shots, crutches, and a new pair of "water boots"! 

If anyone has some "tried and true" suggestions to keep the support, and the sand out, on and off shore, I'm all ears! Thanks!!👍👍

I wen through this a couple of years ago. Thought my outdoor life was finished. tried all the Youtube video fixes, stretches, and all that. Nothing helped. Finally got a pair of inserts to lift my arches, and problem was quickly solved. the strain, and pain is caused by your ankles tipping IN. By raising your arch, it causes the ankle to tip more outwardly, thus relieving the strain on the tendon. I'm completely cured of the problem. Took about a week after getting the arch supports.

Jim

• Like 4

Joe, 

I sent you a PDF paper with PT instructions from my local podiatrist. Enjoy,

Bill

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 1:45 AM, ospreypaul said:

Major reason for your condition is chronic magnesium deficiency which combined with lack of vitamin D causes your body to not use serum calcium. It can cause other problems such as kidney stones,bursitis. Get a good mulitvitamin and mineral supplement and eat a few more salads as vegetables have a good amount of magnesium. My wife had that condition and was suffering for a couple months with little help from her doctor. I researched it and convinced her to do as I've told you. She now eats more salads than I do,lol. She recovered and hasn't had any issues with it in over a decade. In addition to mag and vitamin D3, trace minerals which contain boron and adding some bromelain should get you back to swinging in a couple months. If you don't you might take years if ever to get back out there.

I agree. My wife is a certified health coach and she's always telling me how to keep fit for detecting. Getting the right nutrients when they are needed is a good start. But, I also agree that proper footing can do wonders as well. Add dehydration to the mix and it seems to aggravate or initiate a lot of muscle and joint issues for me. I had the same thing happen on a long awaited hunt... First scoop into the hard packed shell sand, and the scoop twisted. It shot a pain right up my leg. I thought I was done for the day. But like others, I gingerly limped along and soon after it was still sore, but bearable. It's a terrible joke life plays on us allowing our brain to think we are still 20 overriding our body's screams that we are old!!! 😆

• Like 2

Had it a couple years ago lasted for a long time maybe 6-8 months don't want it again...came on rather fast one foot then the other...wearing the same boots for years no problem then bam...tried some special shoes for a while and that helped a lot then some inserts in the boots helped as well...problem just gradually went away and has not came back since. Cant imagine having it for years on end...back to wearing the same boots with no problems for almost 2 years now...go figure...some of this has to do with generalized inflammation in our entire body...it will move from one area to the next...right now it's my left hand.... getting old is wonderful except for this kinda stuff.  🙂 

strick

• Like 1