Minelab Vanquish Iron Volume Question

George1971

Good morning, everyone I would like someone to explain how the iron volume exactly works on minelab Vanquish 540. I am using low iron bias and maximum iron volume and, in some coins, when I detect them, it is created a non-ferrous sound mixed with ferrous sound like when you are detecting trash. What am I doing wrong?

It simply raises or lowers the volume level of the iron tone. If you are in a heavy iron site, you can turn the iron volume down to just a background noise. If you are in almost any country except the US, then it may be because the coins have steel cores? I've seen a couple of videos lately that show detectors almost not finding steel core coins if you have high iron bias on.

• Like 1

I work always with low iron bias because I made an experiment which anyone can do at home. I put 20-40 coins (new and older) in a pot. With iron bias high the sound was heavy (iron) and the vdi numbers were negative (iron), but with iron bias low the sound was between brass, copper, silver and the numbers were positive (nonferrous). So, in case of a hoard with iron bias high you might lose it. Now, about the iron volume that I made the question, with full iron volume when I hit a coin although the sound and the numbers at the beginning are correct after few seconds are mixing with ferrous sound and negative numbers. So, I change mode to all metal to check if it is can or bottle top and the result is to get more iron sound and more negative numbers. So, what is the solution to turn it off, to reduce it or to search always with discrimination? But then I will dig more iron?

Could be ground noise. Does this also happen in an air test, or only in ground? The Vanquish doesn't have any ground balance so it will pick up ground mineralization and sound like iron. Will usually ring up at -8 or -9. I use custom mode to help with this problem. Start with coin or jewelry mode (higher recovery speed helps with this also) and notch out the first two blocks (-8/-9). Bump your sensitivity down a couple of notches and then save to your custom mode. Next time switch to custom mode to see if that makes any difference. 

This happens only in the ground. When I take out the coin and I test it everything is normal. I use jewelry mode mostly. I use all metal only when I want to check if it trashes (mixed sounds, ferrous and non-ferrous and positive with negative numbers). So, what is the solution, to reduce sensitivity, iron volume, both, it is because of the ground or something else?

Which coil are you using and how high is your sensitivity set at? Also, is your ground considered to have high, medium, or low mineralization?

• Steve Herschbach changed the title to Minelab Vanquish Iron Volume Question

I'd recommend trying 67GTA's settings he mentioned. We have highly mineralized ground where I am and I run all metal most of the time with the iron tone set low, but still audible. That way a good tone really pops and isn't drowned out by the iron tone and makes it a little easier to tell if there's an iron target close to a good target. With your iron volume set on maximum, its going to make it harder to hear the good tones from bad and give you ear fatigue making things even worse.

There is so much microscopic iron in my soil that I do have to notch out -9 sometimes to tame it and I also run the sensitivity turned down a bit and have the iron bias on high when not in all metal mode. These settings work pretty well for me in my soil.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Malcolm1984
      I’m completely new to metal detecting and the vanquish 540 is my first detector. I am hoping that someone can provide some advise on the random signals I am picking up. Whilst detecting in woodland I am frequently getting signals that range from 6 to sometimes as high as 39 in the exact same spot, when I dig it up most of the time it appears to be iron nails or other iron objects. I was expecting iron objects to show as a very low number or even minus figures. Has anyone else experienced very high numbers for iron and how do you know when something is worth digging? I have iron bias set to high so that should help but doesn’t seem to. I have found an old coin that showed a reading of 16 so it’s very confusing to know what to dig and what to leave. Thanks for any advise you can provide.
    • By mh9162013
      In tot lots, they seem to be the same to me in terms of being able to find the coins. The 540 is more pleasant to use though, in that it's lighter (I think...feels that way, at least) and a lot less noisy or chattery.
      In my soil (which ground balances anywhere from the upper 70s into the low 90s), they both seem to perform about the same, although the AT Max might have a slight edge. After doing some direct comparisons b/w the two in my yard, it seems like that at least 95% of the time, whatever one machine found, the other machine would have found it too. I did the comparisons with the 540 in custom mode where only targets hitting 20 or above would come through. With the AT Max, I was usually in custom mode where only targets hitting 70 or above would come through. I was often hunting with the AT Max at 3-5 sensitivity, but could go to 8 if I needed a better VDI read on a deeper target.
      One thing I really like about the AT Max over the 540 is the all metal mode. Because of my highly mineralized clay layer about 2-6 inches down in my soil, I know the 540 has a tendency to increase the VDI numbers of target sometimes. And in some cases, I think my 540 has flat out falsed, saying there was a quarter 10+ inches down when all that was there was clay. This was especially evident when the soil was wet. Given the 540's tendencies, I tend to ignore its iffy signals that are 10+ inches down, assuming it's either falsing on the clay or its reading foil or iron as a higher conducting target. But with the AT Max, I have the ability to check an iffy signal and see what happens when I try to detect it in all metal mode.
      During one of my digs today, I got an iffy signal with the AT Max saying I had a dime or quarter target about 8-10 inches down. The Max's VDIs were all over the place, but I was getting a consistent high tone in at least 1 direction. Then in all metal mode, it was clear I was getting a signal, and while jumpy, the VDIs would sometimes hit 90. With my 540, even on max sensitivity, it was an iffy signal, hitting in the mid 20s and sometimes upper 20s...and sometimes nothing at all. In the past, I would have ignored this signal thinking it was iron or foil that was deep and my 540's inability to ground balance was making it seem like a better target than it really was.
      I dug it, and it ended up being 2 clad quarters located just inside the layer of clay that lies beneath the upper layer of milder brown/black soil in my yard.
      Anyways, this is only a half-dozen hours of comparison b/w the 540 and my AT Max, but I think the AT Max is going to stay and the 540 is going to go. Another factor in this decision is that I found out my AT Max is a much older machine than I thought and that its 2 missing LCD segments on the screen can't be fixed under warranty. Finally, there's the fact that I still have the Vanquish 340.
      Thanks to many of you who humored me and provided advice and feedback on my observations and questions with the AT Max over the past week or so.
      Oh, and I found my first IHP today too, thanks to the AT Max. It was at least 8 inches down and around the clay layer . My 540 was able to pick it up from the surface, so I probably would have found it with my 540...probably.

• By 67GTA
      Does anyone have any official info from Minelab stating that the Vanquish defaults to zero GB like the Equinox? It is stated in the Equinox manual, but is not present in the Vanquish manual. I see a lot of people on Facebook groups telling people that the Vanquish has auto ground balance. I tried to argue that they are referencing auto noise cancel, but can't produce any official sources to back up my claim. I can tell the 540 has no GB because of the lack of a GB button, and pumping the coil gives a high or low tones depending on weather it's over or under ground balanced. I'm trying to find some dummy proof info.
    • By Steelheader
      Does the pro pack come with lower rods for both coils, or just one.
    • By mh9162013
      I metal detected my front yard, which has been heavily pounded with my Fisher F2 and Vanquish 540.
      Currently, I detect with my 540 in a modified coin mode, where it's basically the  stock coin mode, but I've notched out some lower numbers. Basically, if it doesn't hit 16 or so, I won't/shouldn't hear it.
      All day Saturday it had been raining, although most of Sunday was sunny and dry. So the ground today was nice and moist, but not wet or soggy at all. When using my 540, it seemed like my entire yard came alive with a bunch of targets hitting 17 or more. Some of these were solid and some were iffy. To put it in perspective, normally when using my 540, I rarely get any strong signal in my front yard over 17 due to heavy hunting done so far.
      However, when I dug the strong signals, about half the time it was a medium-size rusty nail and half the time, it was a penny.
      So I have the following questions:
      1. What's going on here? I've heard that wet or damp soil can improve the depth of your detector. But I went from barely any 17+ signals to tons of them. I was even able to find a dime in the curb strip in front of my house. Normally, unless I'm in all metal mode with my 540, hunting that area results in ZERO signals; pure silence. Now, I get a dime and some solid iron targets? It's almost as if I had never hunted that curb strip before.
      2. Whatever is going on here, will getting an Equinox 600 help me handle it? On the one hand, getting 4 pennies and 1 dime in a heavily hunted area is great. On the other hand, I was digging up more iron than normal. My first thought was that my soil had mineralization whose effects were amplified by the recent rains. So would the Equinox's ability to ground balance make a difference here and if so, how much?
    • By Berniekk
      Hello, everyone, I am new to posting, so if I mess up, I apologize. 
      I have a vanquish 540 and been using it for about 4 months, then I purchased the RNB 6000 battery pack in Feb 9 2021 for the 540 everything was working just fine until yesterday ( Sunday 03/14/21 ) while in the field hunting I hear a beep and the machine is off, I turn it back on and and it shuts back down in about 10 seconds, every time I turned the detector back on the run time would get shorter and shorter until it would not stay on.   I checked the voltage on the battery pack and it was only 2 volts, but when the detector was on it showed full charge, I replaced the battery pack with the batteries that came with the detector and the detector worked like a charm, long story short, I recharged the battery pack, then did a voltage check and it only showed 4.77 volts, and 8 hours later 4.07 volts, I would think it should be around 6 volts at fully charged ?  I just wanted to see if anyone on the forum had the RNB 6000 and if they have experienced anything like this ?     Thanks