Minelab Vanquish Iron Volume Question

George1971

Good morning, everyone I would like someone to explain how the iron volume exactly works on minelab Vanquish 540. I am using low iron bias and maximum iron volume and, in some coins, when I detect them, it is created a non-ferrous sound mixed with ferrous sound like when you are detecting trash. What am I doing wrong?

It simply raises or lowers the volume level of the iron tone. If you are in a heavy iron site, you can turn the iron volume down to just a background noise. If you are in almost any country except the US, then it may be because the coins have steel cores? I've seen a couple of videos lately that show detectors almost not finding steel core coins if you have high iron bias on.

• Like 1

I work always with low iron bias because I made an experiment which anyone can do at home. I put 20-40 coins (new and older) in a pot. With iron bias high the sound was heavy (iron) and the vdi numbers were negative (iron), but with iron bias low the sound was between brass, copper, silver and the numbers were positive (nonferrous). So, in case of a hoard with iron bias high you might lose it. Now, about the iron volume that I made the question, with full iron volume when I hit a coin although the sound and the numbers at the beginning are correct after few seconds are mixing with ferrous sound and negative numbers. So, I change mode to all metal to check if it is can or bottle top and the result is to get more iron sound and more negative numbers. So, what is the solution to turn it off, to reduce it or to search always with discrimination? But then I will dig more iron?

Could be ground noise. Does this also happen in an air test, or only in ground? The Vanquish doesn't have any ground balance so it will pick up ground mineralization and sound like iron. Will usually ring up at -8 or -9. I use custom mode to help with this problem. Start with coin or jewelry mode (higher recovery speed helps with this also) and notch out the first two blocks (-8/-9). Bump your sensitivity down a couple of notches and then save to your custom mode. Next time switch to custom mode to see if that makes any difference. 

This happens only in the ground. When I take out the coin and I test it everything is normal. I use jewelry mode mostly. I use all metal only when I want to check if it trashes (mixed sounds, ferrous and non-ferrous and positive with negative numbers). So, what is the solution, to reduce sensitivity, iron volume, both, it is because of the ground or something else?

Which coil are you using and how high is your sensitivity set at? Also, is your ground considered to have high, medium, or low mineralization?

• The title was changed to Minelab Vanquish Iron Volume Question

I'd recommend trying 67GTA's settings he mentioned. We have highly mineralized ground where I am and I run all metal most of the time with the iron tone set low, but still audible. That way a good tone really pops and isn't drowned out by the iron tone and makes it a little easier to tell if there's an iron target close to a good target. With your iron volume set on maximum, its going to make it harder to hear the good tones from bad and give you ear fatigue making things even worse.

There is so much microscopic iron in my soil that I do have to notch out -9 sometimes to tame it and I also run the sensitivity turned down a bit and have the iron bias on high when not in all metal mode. These settings work pretty well for me in my soil.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Like 1