Not Much More But Had A Blast With A Guest (update 2)

Don't be shy to dust off the old Ace 400, I've found coins in a spot I'd missed with my Nox by using my Ace, sometimes a different detector can just sniff out a few more, I don't know why or how, I just know it happens.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, phrunt said:

Don't be shy to dust off the old Ace 400, I've found coins in a spot I'd missed with my Nox by using my Ace, sometimes a different detector can just sniff out a few more, I don't know why or how, I just know it happens.

I'm very tempted! Just don't relish the thought of "relearning" the Ace. 🤔 I do think you have a point tho. The Ace may have a more simplistic way of looking at the ground, perhaps I need a bit of nostalgia.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just a quick post to say a big "Thank You" to Bob (F350) for the invite (well I kinda invited myself, but that's okay).  He is a great host and makes sure you are fully hydrated and caffeinated, as the situation warrants.   Holding off on a more detailed post until I have a chance to photograph my few finds.  Bob has kind of set expectations perhaps a little higher than deserved for the actual find but it was silver at least (with an interesting story to go along with it - let's just say sometimes its better to be lucky than good) and here's a glimpse.  More to follow.  All I can say is can't wait to get together again in Bob's detecting paradise situation.  Glad I'm sort of in the neighborhood just a couple hours away.  Bodes well for a fun fall and winter before the vegetation takes over again.

20210912_121359.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, kac said:

Looks like Chase got the very last silver in your patch of dirt :0

I am sure that is not right, wait till the new generation of Minelab detectors come out that go 40% deeper and does it all for you.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, kac said:

Looks like Chase got the very last silver in your patch of dirt :0

Nah, I'll get the rest with my Ace. 🤪 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Just a quick post to say a big "Thank You" to Bob (F350) for the invite (well I kinda invited myself, but that's okay).  He is a great host and makes sure you are fully hydrated and caffeinated, as the situation warrants.   Holding off on a more detailed post until I have a chance to photograph my few finds.  Bob has kind of set expectations perhaps a little higher than deserved for the actual find but it was silver at least (with an interesting story to go along with it - let's just say sometimes its better to be lucky than good) and here's a glimpse.  More to follow.  All I can say is can't wait to get together again in Bob's detecting paradise situation.  Glad I'm sort of in the neighborhood just a couple hours away.  Bodes well for a fun fall and winter before the vegetation takes over again.

Thanks Chase, and again I apologize for putting you on the spot. 😀 Didn't think "pretty darn good" was overdoing it, finding any silver here seems a needle in a haystack event. 🎉

I'm pretty sure the garage/shed and other overgrown spots will produce something.

I'm interested in your impression of the newer house in relation to the discussion in this thread, looking forward to it. 🙂 Hope to have some un-hunted sites for ya the next time!

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Nah, I'll get the rest with my Ace. 🤪 

You would be surprised how effective the Ace can be. Short time I have had my Apex with it's simple beep I have found large cent, kg, couple nice gold rings, v nickels, flying eagle ih and in less than one week found 2 clad Kennedy dollars and of course good amount of pocket change.

Sometimes for me changing machines gives me a new perspective on an area, new audio and response forces me to pay more attention to what I hear.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I think the oldest clothesline was in the front yard where I dug many coins including the 1907 British penny and a 1958 silver quarter. Chase agreed that this might have been a more likely older spot for a clothesline, there is more wind there.

The rest of the front yard is covered with English and poison ivy, I'm going to have to get my hands on a gas powered mower to clear that enough to find coins lost in the shade of the large trees and under the boxwoods. The house has no front entrance facing the road. Most of the silver was found in a small spot to the right of the shed/garage, possibly out of sight of the house. I also found a large modern coin spill there, a couple of clad quarters, some dimes, and a bunch of pennies. Might have been an improvised 'outhouse' of sorts... It is out of sight of the house. 😀

Sounds like you're asking all the right questions.  I know the feeling of wanting to check out a spot that's just too overgrown to deal with (at the moment...).  There's more silver there; just keep reminding yourself of that.

• Thanks 1

Ok, today I took one for the team. 😀 I didn't get out until the hot part of the day (east coast mid Atlantic is 12 -4, peak at 4). It was 90 and around 70% humidity with little to no wind. 😵 As much as I like the warm months this is just uncomfortable.20210914_151935.thumb.jpg.8b591f3b820b9733fa7b5aa7bc36acbe.jpg

Took the Ace 400 to the old farmhouse to see if it turned up anything else. This is what I got in an area I hunted with the equinox and the 10x5 and 11" coil:20210914_180417.thumb.jpg.9207bf68000570dc919f690e27a04499.jpg

I ran the Ace in no discrimination at first, got tired of digging beer cans (threw most of them out), so I switched to jewelry mode with iron audio. Most of what is pictured above was retrieved before I switched, after that I heard the iron, but still got some falsing. It's all aluminum, steel, and iron, I dug the copper wire in fresh places.

Consider a farmhouse as a single layer cake, there may be some deep stuff but it's usually big iron. Here everything is gonna be in the first 8-12".

This tells me straight up there really isn't much left to find here except where I haven't looked. I went to the spot that Chase dug the silver quarter, and again nothing but iron came up. 4 hour hunt in a small area.

I went closer to the house and dug these two memorials after moving a bunch of branches and searching the English ivy in a spot I did not swing a coil before:20210914_183552.thumb.jpg.28c1bda1b4eea0b5d44d6d5b8182bec4.jpg

My conclusion is that the Ace will find stuff if it is there, but it falses so much that I will never regret getting an Equinox. 😀 It does not surpass or compliment the Equinox at all. All that junk is what I passed over with the Equinox. Depth indicator is almost always way off on the Ace.

In the next day or so I'll go to the newer house with the Ace to see what I might have missed. Cooler days are coming!

• Like 3