Not Much More But Had A Blast With A Guest (update 2)

Good idea to “Ace” the newer house. That’s why I switched to Deus after we took our break and did find the one or two brass items.  Was otherwise ignoring the penny range signals.  The silver lining take away from all this is that you pretty much confirmed that you vacuumed up 99% of the quality targets.  

Turns out I was lucky to eek out the silver quarter and gold plated clasp which appear to both be pure luck finds because I found the junk targets (can slaw and falsing nail) that got me to pull the plugs in the first place.  The quality targets were masked (likely edge-on quarter and micro jewelry piece masked by a nail). I never heard them coming, but they were pleasant surprises.  Like I said, sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.

Oh, and that rusted, mid twentieth century deep-sea game fishing reel I dug up?  Gives new meaning to the phrase “dirt fishing”.  :laugh:

I know you can’t possibly vacuum up an entire soybean or cornfield before I can get down there again, so game on brother!  :biggrin:

• Like 3

I like the look of that old place.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Good idea to “Ace” the newer house. That’s why I switched to Deus after we took our break and did find the one or two brass items.  Was otherwise ignoring the penny range signals.  The silver lining take away from all this is that you pretty much confirmed that you vacuumed up 99% of the quality targets.  

Turns out I was lucky to eek out the silver quarter and gold plated clasp which appear to both be pure luck finds because I found the junk targets (can slaw and falsing nail) that got me to pull the plugs in the first place.  The quality targets were masked (likely edge-on quarter and micro jewelry piece masked by a nail). I never heard them coming, but they were pleasant surprises.  Like I said, sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.

Oh, and that rusted, mid twentieth century deep-sea game fishing reel I dug up?  Gives new meaning to the phrase “dirt fishing”.  :laugh:

I know you can’t possibly vacuum up an entire soybean or cornfield before I can get down there again, so game on brother!  :biggrin:

Well... If I don't grid it, probably not. We're always here, except when we're not. 😀  No rush on that new big farm, couple of small cornfields to amuse me after harvest, and some of the old stuff. I'm glad you got to go home with something. 👍

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Well... If I don't grid it, probably not. We're always here, except when we're not. 😀  No rush on that new big farm, couple of small cornfields to amuse me after harvest, and some of the old stuff. I'm glad you got to go home with something. 👍

Believe me, the silver and gold are the gravy.  Detecting, especially with friends, is the mashed potatoes. Even without gravy I like me some good buttered mashed potatoes.  I don’t keep score, I do like to nab quality finds, but I am never going to complain if someone gives me the opportunity to detect any spot that has great history and good potential regardless of the outcome.  Thrill of the chase. (Pun intended).

• Like 4

If the Ace is falsing then gain is too high, not much to fiddle with on that machine. Good machine to compliment your Nox might be a Kruzer or Racer2. Nokta runs their sensitivity right at the brink making them good around iron. Apex is close too. Been doing well with my Apex.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kac said:

If the Ace is falsing then gain is too high, not much to fiddle with on that machine. Good machine to compliment your Nox might be a Kruzer or Racer2. Nokta runs their sensitivity right at the brink making them good around iron. Apex is close too. Been doing well with my Apex.

Bob - as a matter of fact, if you haven't already done so, you should go back and hit the iron infested parts of the old farmhouse with the Equinox at sensitivity around 15 or 16 and see if you can eek out any shallow non-ferrous targets amongst the iron.  You might even give Beach 2 a go at it as it has a lower transmit power that might not light up the iron as much.  Diversity is key when you think a site has dried up.  You never know when an odd setting or different detector may suddenly light up some dormant targets.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Bob - as a matter of fact, if you haven't already done so, you should go back and hit the iron infested parts of the old farmhouse with the Equinox at sensitivity around 15 or 16 and see if you can eek out any shallow non-ferrous targets amongst the iron.  You might even give Beach 2 a go at it as it has a lower transmit power that might not light up the iron as much.  Diversity is key when you think a site has dried up.  You never know when an odd setting or different detector may suddenly light up some dormant targets.

I'll do just that, I was hoping a couple of more experienced detectorists would chime in on this, I really appreciate you and kac (and others) suggesting things. I will often make broad generalizations as bait of a sort, may not be the best way to do it.

Just got my gold test kit, going to see if any of the gold stuff without hallmarks I have found is real. Thanks kac! It will probably jinx me. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, kac said:

Ya know, I'm hoping for a good show with Nokta's next detector. I tried the Simplex thanks to Chase, I didn't like it as much as I like the Equinox. Been following the facts amongst the rumors and have my fingers crossed. 🤞 Even if Minelab comes out with an "Eclipse" 😀 (sorry Swing King) it may be too expensive for my fixed income status now. Selling the Ace would just be a drop in the bucket on the next one. Might be able to snag a used Kruzer or racer by then too.

14 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

I've decided to nix the jinx theory.

If you have a detector , does it jinx you for every hunt ? 😏

Diamond tester back on my list................

They're only about $20. They don't differentiate lab/Moisannite/real diamonds, but they can spot a crystal or CZ well. Following the directions is key.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Not Much More But Had A Blast With A Guest (update 2)