Not Much More But Had A Blast With A Guest (update 2)

• The title was changed to Not Much More But Had A Blast With A Guest

3 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Ya don't have to find treasure to have a good day.

Out of likes . Might need an intervention......🤪

Thanks! It all goes in the dug coin jar save for key dates and anything before 1960, it's filling up faster than I thought it would.

Treasure was found by Chase, I'm kinda putting him on the spot and I apologize for that. He's a busy man.

Point I'm making here is twofold, it's great to have an experienced detectorist visit and not find silver in the place I'm talking about not finding silver. At least no one got skunked! 😀 I'm happy to have found very few Zincolns here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I will let (Chase) tell ya what he dug but it was pretty darn good.

Now that's a tease if I ever heard one.  It really is fun sharing, and learning from your detecting partner in the process.  Doggo and I did that a couple weeks ago.  Oh, and BTW, we both found silver!  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Now that's a tease if I ever heard one.  It really is fun sharing, and learning from your detecting partner in the process.  Doggo and I did that a couple weeks ago.  Oh, and BTW, we both found silver!  :biggrin:

Rub it in, GB. 🤣 I've pretty much blown these places up for the easy finds, it's down to experience and pure luck. I'm still hunting for a valuable ring that someone allegedly lost in the area about 2 years ago, but I think it probably got blown into the corn or is too heavily masked by aluminum. We will probably find it in the fall.

Chase helped me with some new tactics that netted me the 4 memorials that only showed up in the same swings that indicated iron and aluminum. That's where the 10x5 really shines!

A farmhouse - I'm finding - is not like a park where you have thousands of depositors every year, and various layers of landscaping from revitalization and upgrades. There seems to be a finite amount of really obvious stuff, and then some strip mining is required to find the not so obvious... Repeat until gone. You had a small group of people who were there until the house was abandoned, and then some newer coins get dumped, but not many, by those responsible for maintaining it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

A farmhouse - I'm finding - is not like a park where you have thousands of depositors every year, and various layers of landscaping from revitalization and upgrades. There seems to be a finite amount of really obvious stuff, and then some strip mining is required to find the not so obvious...

There are two ways to look at this.  Parks (and schools) have lots of traffic -- people losing valuables -- but also lots of associated trash as well as many(?) detectorists who have had and continue to have easy access.  Homesites have less human traffic, but often over longer time periods, possibly less trash (that one is quite variable) and fewer detectorists to compete with.

IMO, finding the 'garden spots' of homesites can be the difficult part.  At least that's been my experience.  Where were the clotheslines, the shady spots for evening relaxation, the path to the outhouse, the place where the dishwater, clothes washing water, etc. were tossed?  Where did they park their buggies and cars; where did they dismount their horses?  Where was the mailbox?  Answer those and you'll be on your way to finding the goodies.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

IMO, finding the 'garden spots' of homesites can be the difficult part.  At least that's been my experience.  Where were the clotheslines, the shady spots for evening relaxation, the path to the outhouse, the place where the dishwater, clothes washing water, etc. were tossed?  Where did they park their buggies and cars; where did they dismount their horses?  Where was the mailbox?  Answer those and you'll be on your way to finding the goodies.

Kind of a funny anecdote, I found a real clothesline (still there). It was in the overgrowth but completely intact. I brought a lopper and hedge trimmer in there and cut everything to the ground in 94 degree heat. 😵 I was so excited! Took a break and then fired up the Equinox. Went in there, and found absolutely nothing. 🤬 There is a path to the outhouse visible but it's overgrown as well with a different kind of ivy. I'm going to keep that in the back pocket for cooler weather. There is also a shed that is completely overgrown.

I think the oldest clothesline was in the front yard where I dug many coins including the 1907 British penny and a 1958 silver quarter. Chase agreed that this might have been a more likely older spot for a clothesline, there is more wind there.

The rest of the front yard is covered with English and poison ivy, I'm going to have to get my hands on a gas powered mower to clear that enough to find coins lost in the shade of the large trees and under the boxwoods. The house has no front entrance facing the road. Most of the silver was found in a small spot to the right of the shed/garage, possibly out of sight of the house. I also found a large modern coin spill there, a couple of clad quarters, some dimes, and a bunch of pennies. Might have been an improvised 'outhouse' of sorts... It is out of sight of the house. 😀

• Like 2

Has the front door been moved or has the road been moved?

3 minutes ago, JCR said:

Has the front door been moved or has the road been moved?

The road was moved, but only about 100 yards past this house. It has a driveway that comes to the side of the house. There are many additions to the house as well. It's not your average farmhouse. Pretty unique for this area. The other two still standing are traditional houses that face the road.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Not Much More But Had A Blast With A Guest (update 2)