GPX 6000! More Than Just A Detector

GPD... You`ve gone from the GB2 that proved itself a legend to the 6Ks that`s well on its way to doing the same, WTG

Congrats on the gold 👍. A good story, I usually only have a quick flick through so took your advice on starting at paragraph 3, ended up going back and reading the first 2.

I got a 5g piece the other day at 14” in horrible black iron laterite, was using the 11” coil.  It sounded like a 20g piece would sound on the 5k at similar depth, I was stunned when it was only a 5 grammer.

• Like 4

Gold prospecting looks like so much fun. Too bad there's nowhere to do that where I live.

Lots of gold prospecting I do may as well be called trash detecting. Endless nails and other ferrous trash.... and the bullets and shell casings! So jewelry detecting is not that different, and anywhere people have been, jewelry is possible. Dig endless aluminum until gold appears. I like hunting tot lots for lost jewelry as it is good practice for nugget detecting, and sometimes more productive. :smile:

• Like 4

Nice writeup, Dan, and welcome to the forum!  Unfortunately, between you and Brian (and Gerry from his trip to bring you guys your GPX6000's), the word about detectable gold in SD is now out.  Well, Brian had told us before but it's a lot easier to write off one person blowing smoke. 

Definitely take Gerry's class.

There is one thing from your post that confused me -- was it a typo?

14 hours ago, GoldPanDan said:

I gave a call to Gerry at Gerrys Detectors, and after a pleasant 20min call with him...

The only thing I can figure is that one of you had a cellphone battery die.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nice writeup, Dan, and welcome to the forum!  Unfortunately, between you and Brian (and Gerry from his trip to bring you guys your GPX6000's), the word about detectable gold in SD is now out.  Well, Brian had told us before but it's a lot easier to write off one person blowing smoke. 

Definitely take Gerry's class.

There is one thing from your post that confused me -- was it a typo?

The only thing I can figure is that one of you had a cellphone battery die.

There is no gold in SD, we do all our hunting in WY.  

Yeah Dan killed it last weekend.  Deepest biggest gold yet I have seen yet with this machine!  Diet GPZ (or as Steve calls it GPZ Lite for you Euros) for sure in my book.  I really used to enjoy winning all the beer bets before Dan got a 6k.  Now he is taking my beer and my gold! 🤣  I keep telling him now that I should have never told you to get a quality detector, why the hell did your wife let you get one!!  🤣🤣🤣  Nah, Dan is great friend, detecting buddy and fellow researcher.  Good partner in crime for our gold fields.  Deserves the gold he is finding after for so long collecting dust.  And now an active DP community member to boot!  Now the next bet should be first one to find a 1+ ouncer gets a case!  Game on!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My one bit of advice - don’t be shy of the Auto+ setting. It can be the most powerful setting on the 6K under the right conditions (mild ground), and it and regular Auto are go to settings for patch hunting. Sometimes computers are actually better at stuff, and Minelabs auto settings just keep getting better. I would never use automatic ground balance “back in the day”. Now I don’t have any option not to, but that’s turned out to be just fine.

Oh for sure computers can better adjust settings quicker and more accurately. As long as the engineering behind the algorithms is solid, which with ML I tend to think they know what they are doing more than me! But if I can already run in 9  or 10 sensitivity and maybe get a little chatter, wouldn't that be better than having it auto adjust to say 7. Maybe I am not fully understanding what it is doing in Auto and Auto+

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Northeast
      Morning everyone, 
      Had a search of the forum and although there are a few mentions of the 14" DD in various thread content I couldn't find a specific thread for discussion around it. 
      Did a video a few days ago getting a few small pieces of gold and small rubbish at a location I've found lots of small gold in a small area.  
      I know that I like watching videos and many of us often encourage others to do a video of this or that.  I figure that rather than asking everyone else to do it I should probably do some of the hard yards myself!  This is certainly not an advertisement of a Youtube channel and I have no illusions that my production quality or information provided is any better than fairly average  🤣
      Something for you Northern Hemisphere folk to watch during the cold months.  
      Happy for anyone to add to the discussion, link a video, show some DD finds or provide some tips on the thread.   
      The thing I found interesting about this was that the target shown at 3.55 mins was quite bright in Normal ground mode.  It ended up being no target at all and just a small pocket of really wet clay.  The fact that it brightened up with the DD surprises me.  The fact that it then brightened up quite a bit more in Normal maybe should have alerted me to the fact that it was ground noise and not a genuine target as the difference in signal on small pieces of gold swapping between Difficult and Normal has been quite small.
      Cheers, N.E.  

• By CPT_GhostLight
      Last Sunday I got a call from my detecting buddy. He's a member of the same detecting club I'm in and known as the guy you call to find lost rings. He said he got a call from a lady who lost her wedding ring somewhere on her property between the house and her chicken coop and wanted to know if I wanted to help him search for it. I said sure!
      I had only done that one time a few weeks before when we were detecting in a park and a parks supervisor came up to him. He thought we were in trouble and promptly started showing the supervisor how we take great care closing our holes, but the supervisor said he didn't care about that. He said he had gotten a call from a lady who had lost her wedding ring a week before at a playground and he wanted to know if we would look for it, which we promptly did. Unfortunately we didn't find that ring.
      So we headed out to the mountain property and met the lady and she showed us where she thought she had lost her ring the day before. I thought it must be laying on the ground in plain sight somewhere and this should be easy. Then I saw the chicken coop. Oh boy. I hit inside and outside the coop while my buddy took the trail from the house to the coop. The chickens were pretty well behaved except the rooster who kept giving me the stink-eye. I had a feeling he was just waiting for me to turn my back on him. 
      We covered the 200x30 foot area pretty well for several hours, double checking each others search areas. We were about ready to throw in the towl when my partner decided to check the wooden walkway between the house and the garage. There were openings between the slats that the ring could have dropped into so the home owners offered to pull a few slats up to allow the detector access underneath. While they were ripping up the floorboards, I decided to wander back down the path toward the chicken coop to check any areas I may have missed. As I neared the door to the coop a garden hose caught my eye about 25-30 feet down hill from the path. I was going to sweep that area earlier after finishing the coop area, but the owner said she hadn't been down there so not to bother with that area. For some reason the hose intrigued me so I started searching down the hill from the path. When I reached the hose I was picking up the brass fitting with loud and clear 25 on the Nox but also with a lower fainter tone mixed in. I pushed the hose fitting back a bit and got a solid 7 from multiple angles. I couldn't see anything on the ground, so I pulled my pinpointer thinking it was probably foil of some kind while gently scraping away the pine needles and a little dirt and there it was, the ring! A beautiful Platinum wedding set with a 1 ct. center stone surrounded with 2 baggettes and 6 smaller diamonds.  I yelled out, "Bingo!" and the owner and her husband ran down the hill. They were overjoyed and so was I. My first ring recovery! They offered a reward but we politely refused so they insisted that we take a donation for the Metal Detecting Club, for which we were very appreciative. What a day that was!

• By Cal_Cobra
      Tom_in_CA and I have been itching to get out detecting! We decided to hit some of our old "back pocket" sites and check out a couple of new sites as well.

Reales, several Phoenix Buttons, flat buttons, some nice pre Civil War eagle buttons, seateds, relics, and the usual suspects were found this trip!
      https://youtu.be/pHhVseSHWac
    • By Rob Allison
      Hello All,
          The new Minelab 17" Elliptical Searchcoils for the Minelab GPX 6000 have been flying off the shelves, definitely high demand.   Due to the high demand, I haven't had much time to use one, everyone ends of taking mine ... LOL
      I haven't seen much larger gold being found at depth yet, but I'm sure it is.  Curious how people and past customers are doing with this new 17" Searchcoil beyond covering more ground quicker?  
      We still have a few left in stock from the last large shipment and more on the way if anyone is still searching for a new "Christmas present.!"  Hahaha 
      Would love to see some pictures or at least hear about any success with the new searchcoil.  
      Wishing you all much success on the goldfield.
      17" Searchcoil available here - https://www.robsdetectors.com/minelab-gpx-6000-17-searchcoil/
      Rob
    • By Aureous
      Seeing how this topic has numerous mentions across the internet, what are the range of faults exhibited? My nearest dealer is over an hour from me so I don't want to travel back and forth after picking mine up if I get a faulty one. So I know what to look for after collection and field test. 
    • By oldcoinhunter
      My first 6000 was faulty out of the box which they replaced with a new one. I've had the new one for 21 days and probably used it 8 days before it went bad.  When i was boxing it up to ship back i heard something rattling inside of it, not good. In researching i found that they've known them to have major issues since March or April, yet they have refused to address the issue with a production stop or at least look at the different production runs and recall those units. I think when it's all said and done there will be a substantial number of them that are faulty worldwide. As it stands now, Detector Center states that there is a" temporary" 10- 14 day time frame for repairing them. My bet is that it's not going to be temporary. If this failure rate continues there may be grounds for a worldwide class action lawsuit, who knows. Oh, and i owned a business for 40 years. Not a very smart way to run a business. JMO.