GPX 6000! More Than Just A Detector

GoldPanDan

Congrats on the gold 👍. A good story, I usually only have a quick flick through so took your advice on starting at paragraph 3, ended up going back and reading the first 2.

I got a 5g piece the other day at 14” in horrible black iron laterite, was using the 11” coil.  It sounded like a 20g piece would sound on the 5k at similar depth, I was stunned when it was only a 5 grammer.

• Like 4

Lots of gold prospecting I do may as well be called trash detecting. Endless nails and other ferrous trash.... and the bullets and shell casings! So jewelry detecting is not that different, and anywhere people have been, jewelry is possible. Dig endless aluminum until gold appears. I like hunting tot lots for lost jewelry as it is good practice for nugget detecting, and sometimes more productive. :smile:

• Like 4

Nice writeup, Dan, and welcome to the forum!  Unfortunately, between you and Brian (and Gerry from his trip to bring you guys your GPX6000's), the word about detectable gold in SD is now out.  Well, Brian had told us before but it's a lot easier to write off one person blowing smoke. 

Definitely take Gerry's class.

There is one thing from your post that confused me -- was it a typo?

14 hours ago, GoldPanDan said:

I gave a call to Gerry at Gerrys Detectors, and after a pleasant 20min call with him...

The only thing I can figure is that one of you had a cellphone battery die.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nice writeup, Dan, and welcome to the forum!  Unfortunately, between you and Brian (and Gerry from his trip to bring you guys your GPX6000's), the word about detectable gold in SD is now out.  Well, Brian had told us before but it's a lot easier to write off one person blowing smoke. 

Definitely take Gerry's class.

There is one thing from your post that confused me -- was it a typo?

The only thing I can figure is that one of you had a cellphone battery die.

There is no gold in SD, we do all our hunting in WY.  

Yeah Dan killed it last weekend.  Deepest biggest gold yet I have seen yet with this machine!  Diet GPZ (or as Steve calls it GPZ Lite for you Euros) for sure in my book.  I really used to enjoy winning all the beer bets before Dan got a 6k.  Now he is taking my beer and my gold! 🤣  I keep telling him now that I should have never told you to get a quality detector, why the hell did your wife let you get one!!  🤣🤣🤣  Nah, Dan is great friend, detecting buddy and fellow researcher.  Good partner in crime for our gold fields.  Deserves the gold he is finding after for so long collecting dust.  And now an active DP community member to boot!  Now the next bet should be first one to find a 1+ ouncer gets a case!  Game on!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My one bit of advice - don’t be shy of the Auto+ setting. It can be the most powerful setting on the 6K under the right conditions (mild ground), and it and regular Auto are go to settings for patch hunting. Sometimes computers are actually better at stuff, and Minelabs auto settings just keep getting better. I would never use automatic ground balance “back in the day”. Now I don’t have any option not to, but that’s turned out to be just fine.

Oh for sure computers can better adjust settings quicker and more accurately. As long as the engineering behind the algorithms is solid, which with ML I tend to think they know what they are doing more than me! But if I can already run in 9  or 10 sensitivity and maybe get a little chatter, wouldn't that be better than having it auto adjust to say 7. Maybe I am not fully understanding what it is doing in Auto and Auto+

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By mn90403
      There is just something I like about this video in addition to some things I don't.  I do think it is worth a watch in this new world of small gold.

• By phrunt
      I was pretty excited about this one so I couldn't resist posting the video of it, it's a 12x6" prototype test coil being used on the GPX 6000 to find gold, it found 3 bits on it's first run.  This was one of my favourite coils on the older model GPX and if I end up with the new GPX it will be a size I'd have to have.  It's long sensitive nose was great getting up between the rocks I regularly hunt in.  This is purely for information for those interested in following the progress of the coils.
      These coils are not being sold by them yet, it's in a testing stage and they will require an adapter which involves removing a chip from the original coil.

You'll see in the photo the adapter inline on the coil cable which has the chip in it that was removed from the standard mono coil.
      And the video
      The 3 bits of gold found while testing it.

The one to the left was the one found in the video.
    • By NV-OR-ID-CAL-AU
      I like running the GPX6000 like a hotrod and trying to hear through the chatter, so I have been using Auto + with success patch hunting in a area that has very few hot rocks, just hit the difficult button when I encounter a hot rock and its usually gone, but will still get a great response on the small gold targets when switching to difficult, if in doubt I just switch from normal to difficult mode to see if it's a metal target or ground effect.  This matches up with what JP mentions on the small gold timings in the difficult settings. I also tried comparing the Auto to the Auto + but could only notice a very small difference. Would the Auto be comparable to one of the Manual setting, if so which number would closely match it?
      Another thing I have been trying to do is determine the high/low tone responses on different objects in Normal vs. Difficult settings to help in trashy sites. Steve Herschbach has mentioned this in a topic linked below and got me started doing some testing. My goal is to use these setting to separate out my most common targets, square nails. Please read the article below to better understand this concept.

• By afreakofnature
      Anybody know if the Minelab GA10 Guide Arm fits on the 6k shaft?  I love the 17” coil but it did a number on my shoulder last weekend (but nowhere near as bad as the Z did).  Would like a guide arm for it and I used to like the old Z guide arm.
    • By Jennifer
      Hi all....
      I had a serious "what was I thinking" moment a while back, sharing in the hopes it saves you doing the same... 🙂
      I own several parcels of land in various rich areas and have had an ongoing issue with ATV'ers. Well this weekend I thought I'd try out the new Kubota and decommission one of the roads through the property, well as I was preparing to dig, my neighbor says to me "where's your detector"... I'm like "At home, today is a Kubota day, not detecting day silly" TOTALLY failing to make the connection that if you dig a hole in gold country for ANY reason, you don't walk away from it without swinging coil.... and went about my business..... within an hour of finishing, I watched two people drive through the property as I was leaving but didn't catch up to them.
      I get home and am chatting with a friend... and of course hear... "Did you check the trench before leaving?" OK.. now I'm really thinking "dang..." so it was late, I left it.... and went back the next morning.....
      It's wild having swung on ground so long where you have to listen so hard to every little faint sound "is that a nugget, is that one" to squeak out one or two and then go to a freshly dug trench, step down into the trench of virgin dirt and BLAAAAAAAAAA BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BLAAAAAAAAAAAAA blowing your ear off like it would have been for the old timers with the first detectors... Yea, I guess I'm calling SD and early detectorists old timers now.. lol.
      Anyway... the moral of the story... if you are playing on your tractor in gold country..... "Don't walk away Renee", you may be leaving almost 4 grams behind for trespassers to find....
      If you dig... swing. 🙂
      Jen

• By schoolofhardNox
      So, my beach season hunting has officially started. I was going to shoot for two days hunting but a wash out on Thursday made me change some plans. I had reserved Thursday for the GPX 6000 and the 14” DD coil, but had to settle for trying the 6000, 5000 and Equinox on Friday. I changed beach locations too and ended up at the less EMI beach for the day. Started out using the GPX 5000 for clearing out some of the recently deposited junk in an area that has produced silver before. I thought the storms that ripped through the previous day would remove some sand, but it was just the opposite…. sand deposited along 3/4 of the beach (top to bottom). Also, high tide reach to the highest point of the beach, so I could only hunt where the waves did not constantly reach up top. The 5000 did well considering the beach was really sanded in and gave me my first silver of the season – a 1955 Washington quarter. The rest was clad, but for 2 copper pennies. Some junk jewelry, and maybe some iron shot or just a ball bearing, - it measured .75 caliber. The big spoon was found at 20” and I thought I was going to get a beer can or some big iron, so that was a nice surprise. Hunted with the 5000 for 6 hours and decided I cleared enough to try the 6000 in that spot. The EMI was a bit more than usual but not really bad. I’m still not sold on that 14” coil. I tried both ground settings, as well as both Salt mode and EMI mode. I tried auto, auto +, manual (full) and manual (setting 1) and some in between. I just could not get the 6000  to not false on the sand. It was partially damp, as high tide receded a while ago, but with a sensitivity of 1, I would have expected a smooth clean machine. IDK maybe the coil is not good. I did not bring the 11” mono as I really wanted to see if the salt mode would work on the 14” DD. Being a bit disappointed, and after trying all combinations of settings, I called it after around 10 minutes. So, the tide was getting as low as it was going to be, so I hunted for 3 hours with the Equinox and traded my spade for my scoop. I didn’t use the Nox much last season as the 5000 was killing the silver, so the Nox sat idle. But I wanted to see if the heavy waves dropped anything on the beach along with all that sand. There weren’t many targets, so I dug everything to get a feel for all the numbers. The hairpins and tiny wire all read a steady -2, -3. The Nox did well for the short time I used it and if I wasn’t beat from the hunt, I would have stayed in the area that was producing some coins. It was the best machine for the day to give me a chance at some gold. It felt really, really good to get out and just walk the beach. Next week all 3 machines will be at the crazy EMI beach. I will have the mono coin and the DD to see if this beach (dry sand) will be ok for the 14” coil. Can’t wait!!!