GPX 6000! More Than Just A Detector

GPD... You`ve gone from the GB2 that proved itself a legend to the 6Ks that`s well on its way to doing the same, WTG

Congrats on the gold 👍. A good story, I usually only have a quick flick through so took your advice on starting at paragraph 3, ended up going back and reading the first 2.

I got a 5g piece the other day at 14” in horrible black iron laterite, was using the 11” coil.  It sounded like a 20g piece would sound on the 5k at similar depth, I was stunned when it was only a 5 grammer.

• Like 4

Lots of gold prospecting I do may as well be called trash detecting. Endless nails and other ferrous trash.... and the bullets and shell casings! So jewelry detecting is not that different, and anywhere people have been, jewelry is possible. Dig endless aluminum until gold appears. I like hunting tot lots for lost jewelry as it is good practice for nugget detecting, and sometimes more productive. :smile:

• Like 4

Nice writeup, Dan, and welcome to the forum!  Unfortunately, between you and Brian (and Gerry from his trip to bring you guys your GPX6000's), the word about detectable gold in SD is now out.  Well, Brian had told us before but it's a lot easier to write off one person blowing smoke. 

Definitely take Gerry's class.

There is one thing from your post that confused me -- was it a typo?

14 hours ago, GoldPanDan said:

I gave a call to Gerry at Gerrys Detectors, and after a pleasant 20min call with him...

The only thing I can figure is that one of you had a cellphone battery die.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nice writeup, Dan, and welcome to the forum!  Unfortunately, between you and Brian (and Gerry from his trip to bring you guys your GPX6000's), the word about detectable gold in SD is now out.  Well, Brian had told us before but it's a lot easier to write off one person blowing smoke. 

Definitely take Gerry's class.

There is one thing from your post that confused me -- was it a typo?

The only thing I can figure is that one of you had a cellphone battery die.

There is no gold in SD, we do all our hunting in WY.  

Yeah Dan killed it last weekend.  Deepest biggest gold yet I have seen yet with this machine!  Diet GPZ (or as Steve calls it GPZ Lite for you Euros) for sure in my book.  I really used to enjoy winning all the beer bets before Dan got a 6k.  Now he is taking my beer and my gold! 🤣  I keep telling him now that I should have never told you to get a quality detector, why the hell did your wife let you get one!!  🤣🤣🤣  Nah, Dan is great friend, detecting buddy and fellow researcher.  Good partner in crime for our gold fields.  Deserves the gold he is finding after for so long collecting dust.  And now an active DP community member to boot!  Now the next bet should be first one to find a 1+ ouncer gets a case!  Game on!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My one bit of advice - don’t be shy of the Auto+ setting. It can be the most powerful setting on the 6K under the right conditions (mild ground), and it and regular Auto are go to settings for patch hunting. Sometimes computers are actually better at stuff, and Minelabs auto settings just keep getting better. I would never use automatic ground balance “back in the day”. Now I don’t have any option not to, but that’s turned out to be just fine.

Oh for sure computers can better adjust settings quicker and more accurately. As long as the engineering behind the algorithms is solid, which with ML I tend to think they know what they are doing more than me! But if I can already run in 9  or 10 sensitivity and maybe get a little chatter, wouldn't that be better than having it auto adjust to say 7. Maybe I am not fully understanding what it is doing in Auto and Auto+