Garrett Goldmaster 24K Australia

karelian

11 hours ago, karelian said:

Tony given the exchange rate, transport and logistics I understand pricing is always going to be higher. I don't mind it when there is local sales and aftersales service, repair and warranty. Look after your dealer and he should also look after you. Minelab enjoys big advantages in Australia, not enjoyed by the importers..  but yes the price does hamper local sales. The Minelab Gold Monster does enjoy a price advantage, but it is not all about price.

Sometimes we just 'click' with a machine, be it a car, rifle, camera or metal detector. It just does things the way we like, feels the right way, balances well etc. There is a market for the Garrett Goldmaster 24k in Australia, because it is different. It gives us choice. Wait for the feedback, I think people will be happy with little buyer remorse. White's GMX, still loving it.

I'm with phrunt on this one.

Damn it…….I hate it when you’re right 😄

• Like 1

The one thing about the GMX placement for the headphones connector is that it is perfect for adding a wireless module or an external speaker. The idea of a waterproof detector is great, but 90% of my detecting is well away from any water. The inbuilt speaker is not very loud, so it is either wireless headphones or external speaker on dry land. Waterproof headphones anywhere near water. The Garrett Goldmaster 24K makes more sense to me now, but I'll persist with the GMX. I get a bit of a kick since it is probably the only example in Australia and I've got it set up just the way I like it.

222.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

• Like 2

The simple fact is most nugget hunting is in arid locations, and there is little need for waterproofing if it adds extra cost, weight, or complexity. I’m all for waterproofing, but only if it is basically transparent as far as those other issues. Equinox gives up little to be waterproof, though how waterproof it really is may be a debateable issue. But certainly enough for prospecting. I can attest that the 24K can stand a day in the rain with no extra protection whatsoever - it’s quite rain resistant as is, and that’s all most prospectors need..

• Like 5

The 24k is well sealed,  but for Australia and other regions, dust resistant as well. Amazing how that fine red dust gets into everything. At the end of the day give it a wipe and it is good to go.  I had to use Pelican cases for my camera gear just to keep the dust out.. The new generation of metal detectors have much improved weather resistance which helps keep the dirt out. The ability with the GMX to be submerged in shallow water is an additional advantage which I doubt I'll ever fully exploit. The detectors  improved robustness and ability to fit into my backpack are more useful features for me. The surplus framed pack was designed to carry a radio, adapts perfectly to allow prospecting gear, a pan and detector to fit into the radio slot. A light weight VLF machine is a perfect match and allows me to explore further out.

packsize.jpg

pack3.jpg

1111.jpg

pack4.jpg

• Like 2

I think “volume of sales” has a lot to do with pricing in Australia. When a dealer in the USA can sell a 100 detectors compared to an Australian dealer who might sell 1 of the same unit then US margins can be a lot less. I have only bought one new detector in Australia during the past 20 years…..Minelab Excalibur which is actually slightly cheaper here in Australia. All my other purchases have come from the USA…….great dealers, prices and service every time 👍

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 5:04 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Good to see, but it boggles my mind how much more expensive imports end up being in Oz. Here the machine is a real bargain price at US$679 discounted (MSRP $799) but in Oz it ends up at AU$1359? Yikes!

The Gold Kruzer still retails at $1125 here. 

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Yes, Nokta seem to have a way to keep the imported prices so they're not heavily inflated and end up a reasonable price.

• Like 2