More Great Advice For Newbies..

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Maybe we need a Detectaholics page.

Very easy to control the obsession and an easy way to quit, just send me all your equipment and I will walk you through the process.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Thus far I'm not having a problem. I'm retired, it gets me out of the house. If my future is honey-dos, yard work, and camping - when I dig and give my wife jewelry - it's fine with me, and her.

Dig jewelry and give it to your wife is my advice. 😀 When the honey-do list is done. 🤗

• Like 5

I love it when your the only guy on a packed beach with a detector and everyone is looking at you like your a goof ball...they see you nearing their belongings and they come out of the water like your gonna take something lol... you walk by a mom and daughter enjoying the day... the lady asks "did you find anything good yet?" "just some coins and a  bunch of bottle caps" you  don't mention the two silver rings in your pouch for fear they are going to want to see them and you don't want to waste valuable detecting time...she asks is it addicting?  yes ma'am it is. 

strick

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

My stock answer is:

"Yes, every time I do this." Or "always" with a smile. 😀 Unless I feel like talking that usually stops it right there.

Take heart, it's cheaper than a drug addiction anyway.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, strick said:

I love it when your the only guy on a packed beach with a detector and everyone is looking at you like your a goof ball...they see you nearing their belongings and they come out of the water like your gonna take something lol... you walk by a mom and daughter enjoying the day... the lady asks "did you find anything good yet?" "just some coins and a  bunch of bottle caps" you  don't mention the two silver rings in your pouch for fear they are going to want to see them and you don't want to waste valuable detecting time...she asks is it addicting?  yes ma'am it is. 

strick

Should mention the contaminated body piercings and ask if they lost any 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By maxxkatt
      This is for the person who has no experience in metal detecting on what to buy and how to get started.

Today's modern metal detectors are more like computers (or more exactly modern signal processors). They are very powerful and often complex.

Buying one the best detectors out there, the Minelab Equinox 800 is a real mistake if you have never metal detected. Quite honestly it is too complex for you to learn in addition to learning how to metal detect.

Instead buy the Minelab Vanquish 540 for $379 for a packaged deal.
      Why? It is simple to learn and it uses the same Target Id numerical range and tones as the Equinox 800. Use the 540 to learn the theory of metal detecting. The physics behind metal detecting is the same for all detectors for the most part.

Use your 540 for the first year. Once you are proficient (eg finding some good targets on a regular basis) then and only then consider the Equinox 800. But be prepared for a steeper learning curve. But it will be made easier by your year's experience with the Vanquish 540.
    • By Joe D.
      Hello All,
        Just a warning for anyone wearing unsupported footwear! The "malady" referenced above can hopefully be preventable, or at least reduced, for us "older" folks here!!
         I have occasional flare-ups, if I don't pay attention to my footwear support! My sandybeach footwear, hit me with a vengeance today! As I (stupidity) thought, I was healed enough from a less severe bout, from about 2 weeks ago! 
         I had switched from "water shoes" to above the ankle neoprene "dive boots" with a non-skid bottom, to keep all the sand from grinding my toes to hamburger, on beach/surf hunts last year! They are flat bottomed with little support! And that was with inserts!
         My initial half mile walk was fine, with only minor discomfort! But upon my first "deep" scoop with that foot, I felt a pop, and it felt like someone had just "shot" me in the heal! But I continued to hunt with the after-effects anyway! Not smart, but I was just starting! You know how it is!
         Let's just say, the rest of the hunt, and return trip, along with the rest of the day, has not been fun! I'll probably need a few cortisone shots, crutches, and a new pair of "water boots"! 
         If anyone has some "tried and true" suggestions to keep the support, and the sand out, on and off shore, I'm all ears! Thanks!!👍👍
    • By Pinger
      Well I been out several times now with the ML-EQ800 and I’ll say this …….. I GIT’N  IT ! , im git’n  it …. That said - I got couple questions. Does this hold true ( first pic ) it seems it is for the most part- I can see now getting use to it that on good clear pings this is right . I haven’t found any gold or silver jewelry yet but SO FAR it seems I bout got the coins down! I’m getting to where I can call them now all except for the nickels . ON EVERY QUARTER AND PENNY I dig I’m waiting for it to be a big nice gold and diamond ring tho ! I’m pretty sure  thats the range  they for the most part fall into . Seems on Park1 between 19 and 25 maybe 28 I’ll get the pennies and quarts ( flat quarters I think may be higher ) ok so what y’all think the question I had goes with the first pick the second pic is yesterday morning’s learning session #2 pic and today’s finds was the same except I had less trash and more quarters and dimes  )

• By Mr Swing king
      I know everyone says hit the sun bathing spots in parks, but around here, people don't seem to sunbathe a lot in the parks. Or I just never see it.
      I saw 1 woman sunbathing in the park near my work 1 time, and found tungsten close by when I came back the next day at lunch.
      Typically, where in the parks where you're at, do you see people sunbathing?
    • By SeaScene
      Fall is arriving on Vancouver Island Canada with cooler weather and some rain.  The forests are increasingly resistant to fire and safe to enter.  Our mining claim is at the 4000-5000 foot level on the side of a heavily forested mountain.   After testing several washes with a long prob we were finding depth to be in the vicinity of 1 m / 3 feet.  I do have an Anfibio Multi which is not suited.  Looking for advice on buying a detector for this depth.  The washes we surmise hold decent cache of placer and we also suspect a small vein is nearby.  So, the washes to be investigated would contain decent sized targets not pickers or flour gold.   I have heard "Minelab GPX 5000 machine with Coiltek 22" DD Goldstalker coil" and "JW Pulse 8x" would be suitable.  I would appreciate your comments.  I also am aware of the Minelab 7000.  Although the price is high and we do not seek overkill or other uses except for this project the 7000 would have to be considered.  Good luck out there and thanks in advance for posting if you do.  
    • By Joe of South Jersey
      All,
      We have been purchasing the coil wire wishbone style holder for several years direct. We have exhausted our stock, that of repair and other sources. 
      Anyone have information on where these may have been sourced. 
      You can PM me direct.
      Thanks