Garrett 24k Maiden Voyage

phrunt

Well done and told Simon.  I'd say you have a keeper there for you area.

• Thanks 1

Bravo phrunt, That's a great looking detector too. Looks like Garrett has the gloves off for the fight now. 👍

• Like 1

Outstanding post Steve and one I'll print out and read over a few times and even take it with me next time I go to this area, I took it to this spot knowing it was up for a challenge and I was hopeful I'd find gold I'd missed with the other detectors that all struggle here on these green schist type of hot rocks.  I'd previously done a post requesting help with the GPZ struggling on them when I originally found this scrape and detect spot and with JP's advice was able to tame them a bit, but they were always still a problem.  I had the 24k handling them quite like the GPZ was with minimal settings adjustments.

I basically ran the machine as a beginner first time user and managed to get it working to a point It found me gold by adjusting very few settings and was very happy with the results so even though the settings are there when you're comfortable using them and have a better understanding of the detector it really can be used on as a switch on and go detector and perform very well. 

Now I'll start to experiment and learn about the settings and adjust it to get even more out of it.   To say I was happy with it is a bit of an understatement, I was very surprised how well it did.

Having the settings the 24k has will be invaluable in these challenging areas and for me to get 6 pieces of gold there was rather odd, I'm normally lucky to get one and often go home empty handed.

• Like 4

Great report, Simon, and congrats on finding a 0.1 grain(!) 'grain' with a 6"x10" coil.  (I don't think that even qualifies as a picker, it's so small.)  Of course we all (and obviously you in particular) hope for much larger ones.  😉

It's gotta be a plus to have a detector which can be fitted with either a DD or a concentric (or Mono in the case of PI's) as the conditions warrant.  I'm glad White's and Garrett never forgot that.  It's going to be very interesting to watch as Garrett and NEL/CORS produce more coils for this detector and detectorists like you and Steve H. figure out how to maximize their use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, coils can make or break a detector I think and it's really great having both Concentric and DD to choose from. 

It's great finding bigger nuggets but I get a real thrill out of finding the tiniest pieces, it's really exciting to recover the really small ones, the challenge of it is a real thrill.  I think I get just as excited about very tiny bits as I do bigger ones as the technology to find them is just mind blowing.

The smallest one was so small if I was to breathe on it I'd lose it.  I had to be so careful putting it on the coil at the end of the day for the total photo as the wind had picked up a bit 🙂 The only way you can pick up bits that size is to wet your finger so it's weight is likely less than what the scales say as I'd wet my finger to put it on the scales, the water on it had to add a fraction of weight when the bit is that small in the first place.

Garrett Search Coil Tech Sheet

About Search Coils by Dave Johnson

Search Coil Field Shape by Dave Johnson

Coil Basics by Carl Moreland

• Like 2

I added some coil links to your post above Simon. The short story is this. The concentric hit the hot rocks harder because that is what it does - hits harder. Not good where you have hot rocks, but it also does mean where you can use the coil, it has extra punch. And if anyone reads the tech info above, they will see that a DD coil is more likely to call ferrous items non-ferrous, especially flat steel. So a concentric has better properties in trashy areas.

Can't wait for NEL to produce the 3.5" x 6.5" Snake DD coil for the 24K. That may be a perfect coil for the machine, especially as it has been especially hardened for use without a scuff cover. When chasing the tiniest bits I do tend to run my coils naked! :laugh: Seriously, it's halfway all about how close you can get that tiny bit to a coil winding that makes the difference in mild soil. And scrub, scrub, scrub!

https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-mining-journal/metal-detecting-micro-gold-nuggets-crow-creek/

pay-layer-crow-creek-mine-alaska.jpg

• Like 7

Great info by all of you.The X-terra 705 had tracking offset over 10 years ago.A snake size coil in both concentric and in DD would be  nice. Garrett has a 3 by 7 coil mold they used for the  infinium.Steve did a report on that coil.My 4by 6 dd whites coil is not smooth like my concentric so i will get a snake coil for it. I need  a epoxy coil for my  GMX for the water.Simon you do need a snake coil for the terrain that you hunt with all those rocks.Also Steve should  have the smallest nugget  of the  month award contest. I also bet that for every gold bug 2 that is sold today there are 100 24 k's sold.

• Like 1