X-coils For The GPX 6000 - Information Repository

phrunt

12 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

10x6 gpx 6000 coil.jpg

Hopefully the rumor that Coiltek is working on a similar, but plug and play option, comes to pass. Otherwise by spring I guess I'll be in line for my first X Coil, as this is just what I want for my 6000. I've got no problem sacrificing my 14" DD coil if that is what it takes to get an adapter. But winter is here, no rush for me right now. However, the clock is ticking...... :smile:

By using the chip out of the 14" DD coil I'd assume the GPX6000 will then act like you've got the DD on & run in either ground or emi cancel?

At this stage I wouldn't "sacrifice" either of the mono coils. They are very good & I can't see that the 10x6 in the videos is finding anything that they wouldn't in most situations.

Obviously there are areas where a 10x6 will be better at getting into tight spots though so hopefully Coiltek (or Nugget Finder?) can come to the party with plug & play.

• Like 4

On 10/31/2021 at 10:31 PM, AussieMatt said:

By using the chip out of the 14" DD coil I'd assume the GPX6000 will then act like you've got the DD on & run in either ground or emi cancel?

Could be, I did not think of that. Don’t really care at the moment, as not something I’m doing this week. :smile:

I really like the 11” mono and 17” mono. A lot. So no matter what I do, these two coils have to be part of the mix, as they will do 90% of what I need anyway. The 6x10 is just a niche coil for me, for working in tight sagebrush more than anything else. Any extra small gold hots would be a bonus, as it’s purely the physical size aspects that have me wanting a smaller coil. Other spots would be boulder patches, and bedrock with wide deep crevices. Places where the 11” just won’t fit. Otherwise I will use the 11” as being my best option for small gold sensitivity, and depth on larger bits.

• Like 4

For me as a X coil user, I`ll tend to take the risk of wrecking a good 11"coil for its chip and go with the X coil simply because X coil are not constrained by MLs coil manufacture ideas that dumb down coils performance as I believe they did in their Z coils. I have only good experience with Coiltek or NF coils performance but that was pre MLs chip constraints. I`m all for lightweight performance in a size and shape that suits my detecting environment. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Norvic said:

For me as a X coil user, I`ll tend to take the risk of wrecking a good 11"coil for its chip and go with the X coil simply because X coil are not constrained by MLs coil manufacture ideas that dumb down coils performance as I believe they did in their Z coils. I have only good experience with Coiltek or NF coils performance but that was pre MLs chip constraints. I`m all for lightweight performance in a size and shape that suits my detecting environment. 

ML haven’t dumbed anything down on the Z coils. They have to supply the detector with a coil that will work well everywhere which is the GPZ14”. X coils like to tinker and as such pushed the envelope with their spiral wound stuff but those coils did struggle in a lot of places IMHO, the Concentric coils however have been quite good but they didn’t come out till 6 or so years after the GPZ was released which is longer than it took to develop the 7000, as such one would expect the science in coil making to be reasonably understood by then. NuggetFinder managed to bang out a very good DOD coil on their first try, in our shop I don’t think we’ve even seen one Zsearch coil come back in for warranty.

Mono coils are not rocket science so the design for them has pretty much reached its ceiling, as Steve has said it mainly comes down to convenience of size and shape to suit a particular area. The big bug bear for any after market coil manufacturer other than the obvious problem of the inbuilt crypto chip will be the coil lead cable as Minelab have pushed the GPX6000 to the very edge of detection and beyond, which explains why they are selling so well. 😊 

JP

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It will be interesting to see what X-coils can bring to the GPX 6000 coils and how they compare to the other possible aftermarket coils and the standard coils.  I don't think they'll just be duplicates of Minelab coils windings in a different size and a different housing, they've not done that with previous coils.

If Coiltek do come out with a 10x5 or 10x6" a comparison between it and the 10x6" X-coil would be very interesting and time will tell how they compare.   I personally would be running this 10x6" X-coil most of the time as it's just right for me.

I thought my Z-search coil was faulty, it wasn't, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

It will be interesting to see what X-coils can bring to the GPX 6000 coils and how they compare to the other possible aftermarket coils and the standard coils.  I don't think they'll just be duplicates of Minelab coils windings in a different size and a different housing, they've not done that with previous coils.

If Coiltek do come out with a 10x5 or 10x6" a comparison between it and the 10x6" X-coil would be very interesting and time will tell how they compare.   I personally would be running this 10x6" X-coil most of the time as it's just right for me.

I thought my Z-search coil was faulty, it wasn't, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

As most nuggets (If you can call today's specks nuggets) are smaller than coins, my experience would lead me to an elliptical coil in the 10 by 5 to 8 by 14 inch for general gold hunting. Lets hope the other manufactures bring something in this range.😂

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

ML haven’t dumbed anything down on the Z coils. They have to supply the detector with a coil that will work well everywhere which is the GPZ14”. X coils like to tinker and as such pushed the envelope with their spiral wound stuff but those coils did struggle in a lot of places IMHO

Aye I understand completely ML supplies to the general user, I am not critical of that as from my 20 years of manufacture I did it too with my products to cater for that general user and for you JP I will instead use X coil push the envelope rather than ML  dumb down their coils and that push the envelope is what this enthusiast wants.

I doubt mono coils technology has finished advancing time will answer that.

6 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Aye I understand completely ML supplies to the general user, I am not critical of that as from my 20 years of manufacture I did it too with my products to cater for that general user and for you JP I will instead use X coil push the envelope rather than ML  dumb down their coils and that push the envelope is what this enthusiast wants.

I doubt mono coils technology has finished advancing time will answer that.

Their are people with driving licences and those with racing licences. Those with a general licence in the majority can not utilize the ability of the race car. I'm with you Norvic 100%. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

A poor tradesman often blames his tools 🧰 😉 

Innovate away I say, it’s what keeps the earth going round, with all the current world leader discussions about trying to achieve less than 1.5 degrees of global warming the human race will need a HUGE amount of collaboration and innovation to try and reach some of those targets, correlatively I feel it is through innovation that things like flat wound coils came to the fore so here’s to hoping the after market guys stumble across something clever and it then goes mainstream. 🥂 🍻 

JP

• Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

"stumble across something clever". Nice subtle little put down. 

When Minelab come up with something new it is due to massive R&D, huge investment, hard work, and long hours of testing, but the after market 'guys' just 'stumble across' new development. Yeah, right!

• Like 8