I Found This Rock That It Looks The Indians Shaped It.

yep, I could go for a stroll behind my house to the river and pick up 100 in 5 minutes that look just like it.

• Like 4

I'm going to take a chance here and disagree.

The stone I have is one of the largest natural rocks I've ever seen here, and it is only hand sized. If you search Google for "Indian grinding stone" and look at images, you will see stones exactly like the one he posted. It's quite interesting.

Right next to my house is a ravine that the previous owner found many Indian artifacts in. I haven't searched it as yet. Mine came from my yard when they leveled it, there was a huge pile of dirt that I eventually used as a rifle backstop. I regret that now because I can't metal detect the remaining dirt. 🙄

It's not a stretch at all to think this one could be a grinding stone. 

I HAVE used a handy rock as a hammer many times , so it is possible someone used that one for a tool . The history of the spot supports the idea too.

On the other side any heavy equipment used to level the land could make interesting marks on all the rocks touched ... 

Up here there are rocks that have marks from the ice age glaciers...

But nothing stopped the natives from using those as tools , wear gloves if you use it as a hammer .  

• Like 1

You're right Steve. I don't remember where I found it. Probably not an Indian camp.

I did find an Indian hammered small copper knife and chips of flint that was probably an Indian camp. It overlooking a river but didn't find any stones there.

The upper peninsula of MIchigan has copper mines and the Indians used get copper up there. Some people detect the streams up there and find pieces of float copper where some can be artistic. There are giant pieces of float copper too. The copper was moved by the Glaciers and that's why it's called float copper.

Sample of Indian copper and float copper.

copper 1.jpg

cooper 2.jpg

cooper 2.jpg

• Like 7

The pieces of copper that look like a small knife in the photo could be spear points instead of a knife. Now I wonder if mine is a spear point. I'll post a photo of it.

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I'm going to take a chance here and disagree.

The stone I have is one of the largest natural rocks I've ever seen here, and it is only hand sized. If you search Google for "Indian grinding stone" and look at images, you will see stones exactly like the one he posted. It's quite interesting.

Right next to my house is a ravine that the previous owner found many Indian artifacts in. I haven't searched it as yet. Mine came from my yard when they leveled it, there was a huge pile of dirt that I eventually used as a rifle backstop. I regret that now because I can't metal detect the remaining dirt. 🙄

It's not a stretch at all to think this one could be a grinding stone. 

I agree - but like I said, context matters. You have context. You finding a round rock means more because of that. phrunt finding one means nothing at all. It’s not a agree or disagree thing, it’s looking at the situation and evaluating it properly with all available information. Given that round rocks are very common in nature, it takes more than just being found to seal the deal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1