GPX 6000 Rod Twisting - Owners Weigh In

The twisting of the shaft is annoying and I would consider an aftermarket correction.  I hope one eventually comes to the market.

On a side note, the 6000 light weight and technology rocks!

Brian.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/17/2021 at 7:18 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I wonder if tacky products, like this Golf Tac Grip Enhancer or Firm Grip might help.

On 9/18/2021 at 1:22 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

Do not use any chemicals, just plain water is sufficient.

I had wondered these same things for the movement at both shaft and the rubber cover for the jack. A pine rosin certainly would introduce a tackiness that could reduce the movement. However, I’m uncertain what effect it would have on the polymers since rosin is used as a plasticizer, as well. Anyone brave enough to be the test subject? 😅

Well, I’m half way there, as the steveg longer lower rod I have came predrilled with a hole for the tab. So I’m going to find my best setting for it and drill at least one hole in the middle rod to match. Simply switching to the stock lower rod then be a shorter adjustment, if I add a tab to one of them also. I’ve got room to experiment as I have several each of both middle and lower rods.

• Like 3

Yea, twisting not that big of a deal, I can handle that but a Minelab or aftermarket fix will come along, sooner or later.  

Righto awhile back I pulled the plastic nuts off the ferrules and cut 1/8inch off nuts this allows you to tighten extra without the thread binding as it does, so far works aok time will tell if this is a fix.

Don`t put your 6K down out of sight as if this fix doesn`t last you may find your 6Ks lost its nuts........😉

20211004_102526.thumb.jpg.7bdcc75901fb9907d8761d6f37008833.jpg

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

I have yet to experience the rod twist as my 6000 was defective right out of the box. Got it put together, charged the battery, turned it on - I emediatly knew something was amiss as it wasn't noisy like everyone says it is. I did a noise cancel and ground balanced it. I made sure threshold was on. I am in a backyard with power lines every where and the detector quieted right down, ran it over a 1.5 gram nugget and nothing. No response at all. It was as quiet as a mouse in the next county. I renoise cancelled and ground balanced and ran it over that nugget and other nuggets, even a quarter and no sound at all. In fact after I reground balanced the threshold went away. So I thought the coil might be bad so I switched to the 14"DD and tried both emi cancel and conductive ground cancel mode and still no target sound.  Well it has to be a defective machine. I also noticed two vertical shadow marks going down inside the LCD screen. Very faint, but when the sun is shining on it right you can see it. That morning I called Minelab and talked to Nikki and she said box it back up and send it back and we will replace it. They should be getting the new one in the mail today. Just my luck to get a defective one right out of the box. This was what I was afraid of with the 6000. As for the rod twist, that would annoy me, so I like Steve's idea of the grip stuff for golfer's or there has to be something else, maybe fixative spray for artwork, as it dries clear and hard and is designed to give a tooth to the surface to continue working and take medium.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Oh my! 1

Before my 17" coil arrived I had already ordered the parts needed to make my own shaft/lock pin extension
I used the lower part of a 5000 shaft and the lock pin at the other end, bought some carbon fibre glue and the job is done 

Total cost (if you have a old shaft) AU$45 and I can have the length I want 

1.thumb.jpg.f6886bb6d86cec5982c635e2550cca07.jpg2.thumb.jpg.7c8c4e44dfdddc424fdb22590198616e.jpg

• Like 7

not to much of a big deal for me, ill straighten it out maybe once per hunt.
however, if you use the wireless headphones be careful with that charging cord, as mine just stopped working.
i had an extra power cord so not a big deal either.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I dont mind the shaft twisting. It usually takes a pretty good force to make it twist and its easy enough to twist back. Pushing down on the ground and then twist it back.   Also can be really handy to be able to twist it when you are on the edge of old workings or on a hillside. I also tend to find myself liking the controls turned in towards me. Just more comfortable. 

The only time I really had any issue is when the shaft was wet from a misty day. I could see a nice fix to be is to have longer locks. The added surface area would allow for more friction between the collar and the shaft which would in turn make it harder to twist.

• Like 1