Emi, The GPX 6000.... Your Thoughts?

oneguy

What I have observed, is the threshold will be very stable after an auto tune, but then the instability creeps back in, and again an auto tune needs to be done to keep the sanity.   Maybe Minelab will have a software fix for us?

posting from NorCal Motherload country

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skookum said:

My observations have been that there is obvious EMI related to air traffic and other unstable threshold due to unknown factors. For instance, overhead airplanes always disrupt the balance. Those at lower altitudes are noticeably worse. Then there are times it just seem to get a little wacky without any obvious cause. Some of the time a noise cancel seems to quiet it down and other times not. The latter leads me to wonder if EMI is indeed not the end all cause of the erratic episodes. 

One thing I've noticed, & it's pretty obvious in a couple of videos I've seen, is that the 6000 hates having the tracking thrown out. In some videos you can see (& hear) where the pick etc. has come too close to the coil while it's set down to search for the target & it becomes erratic. Seen many comments wrongly say that it's EMI. 

Good thing is it's very easy fixed once setting off again, a quick track & a few broad sweeps seems to fix it up. 

I guess that's one price you pay for a very sensitive detector. I know I'm a lot more conscious of where my pick is or keeping things like phones out of coil detection range than I was with the 4500. GPZ was similar from memory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i do remember having a bit of feedback moving the coil off the ground on rough bedrock. JP had talked about keeping
the coil on the soil to keep it stable.
going back out in the morning to have a go at it.

• Like 2

In the attached video is an example of the tracking being thrown out by the pick. When the second target is found from about 8:10 you can quite audibly hear the ground balance get thrown out by the pick pretty subtly at first then when digging 2 × very audible pick strikes at about 8:40 & then again when he moved it pretty close by the coil at approx. 8:42 to 8:43. He then say "carrying on now isn't it".

Les doesn't re-balance or auto tune afterwards & the 6000 continues to be very erratic until the end. I've seen a few comments on that section of footage say how bad the 6000 is with EMI but to me it's pretty obvious that the pick being too close to the coil caused the bulk, if not all, of the erratic threshold.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just some thoughts I've noticed,

I have had noticed some EMI when next to multiple cell phones or when using the external speaker, but when I leave my cell phone in the vehicle and use the headphones everything seems a lot better. I primarily use the 11" Mono and have worked within 30 feet of power lines with very little EMI, in fact less EMI than my older PI machine has had in the same area. I do seem to need to do a few noise cancels, this occurs mostly after I'm lifting the coil high off the ground and letting it back onto the ground frequently. Some tips I have followed are JP's advice on letting the detector warm up and remember that if things do not seem right, then it is best to do a factory preset.

In regards to the coil twist, I would definitely like tighter shaft locks, but actually prefer not to have a fixed position coil lock. The reason for this is to have the ability to twist the coil at an angle parallel to the ground when working side hills within hydraulic pits, the holding the detector straight up and down and having the coil at different angles of the slope causes a lot less fatigue on my arms (shoulders) and is easier to swing the coil close to the ground. I am also prone to tripping a lot and pushing the coil into the ground pretty hard and have thought multiple times that I would of broke the coil tabs off if it had not been for the twisting of the shaft which absorbs most of the shock. It could beneficial if just the upper shaft lock did lock though, as i do like the Vanquish series square quick locks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AussieM....  I figured out the pick to close real quick....lol  

Metal in my normal boots wasn't a problem if I kept the coil out front but once in awhile the boots and/or pick would get too close.  Bought some metal free boots basically to have less to think about where my feet or coil are at.

Good thoughts on the shaft twisting possibly saving breaking a coil ear!  I also fall down a LOT out there, especially in the steep and towards end of the day....lol

thanks again everyone........

• Like 1

15 hours ago, oneguy said:

I've had the rod twist but like Steve mentioned... it was when I was a little aggressive with the coil.  The minor issue is nothing compared to how pissed I get when I can't get the machine to settle down (emi) and just enjoy my hunt.  Wed. I got so mad I left the 6 on the bank and grabbed the Monster to finish out the rest of the day.  Thinking about selling it.

I've seen two posts on Facebook now with people who had out of control EMI, they both had their GPX replaced and were then happy with the new one.  It wasn't the coil in either case, one of them only had it a few days and took it back to the dealer where they tried another coil, the detector itself had a problem.   There must be some part that's possibly a bit variable and makes some perform worse than others and in rare cases makes the detector just terrible to use, although this diagnosis is very simplistic based off only a couple of detectors.   Yours sounds unusually bad and perhaps you also have a faulty coil or like these two people a faulty detector.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Tony said:

One thing I do know is the WINDIER and DRIER the conditions, the worse the EMI is.

We used to notice that a lot with the SDC in particular. Windy conditions used to cause us no end of frustration some days. Being dry is just a usual Aussie summer & sometimes winter condition (depending on north/south location).

I've read a theory on it somewhere that sounded plausible. Electrostatic discharge which can occur due to rapid movement of air near electronic equipment. I'm assuming that this could also occur with coil movement on still days too but just not as likely or prominent?

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

have my doubts it is EMI at all, as even in remotest Alaska the machine will act up,

I wonder if the new Starlink system could be causing a new form of EMI in remote areas. It is space based for the internet and would cover most areas now.

Since I don't know for sure I thought I would ask.