Emi, The GPX 6000.... Your Thoughts?

oneguy

The speaker is the pits, it generates its own EMI or the speaker being in close proximity to the very sensitive electronics housed in the plastic housing does anyway. Also if you have a touchy coil lead especially on the 11” monos wobbling the control box too much will cause EMI like noises, to ascertain this just hold the detector dead still and listen, no noise when held stationary most likely equals coil lead wobble noise.

Lastly if you do more than say 6 to 10 Noise Cancels in a session then I highly recommend performing a full factory reset of the detector by turning off then turning on again but this time continue holding the ON button in for 7 seconds. In fact it’s a good idea to periodically perform a full reset regardless to give Geo-Sense a fresh start. Turning off then on again will retain a lot of dross accumulated over many sessions, a full factory reset will clear the logs and get things purring again. 

Hope this helps

JP

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Oneguy - If you like the detector and can’t try any of the solutions of using someone else’s gear, don’t forget you have a 3 year warranty.  Maybe send it in for a diagnostic check. 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AussieMatt said:

In the attached video is an example of the tracking being thrown out by the pick

I try to keep all metal away from the coil at all times, even when not detecting. When I dig a hole I always place the coil as far away from the hole as possible. There definitely is a drift in GB that gets exacerbated each time the pick, or any metal, comes to close to the coil. The same is true for any metal in boots, although the effect is more subtle. Factory reset is definitely helpful and I do it at least 2-3 x during the day. The quick track only optimizes around a local minimum, but if drifted to far off due to constant vicinity of metal a factory reset is needed. That's where the semi-auto GB of the 7000 with fixed X comes in handy. Regarding EMI, I don't find the speaker to be that unusable. Yes, it does add a bit but given how strong the signal response generally is I can live with the little bit added, most of the times. Having used the SDC for years my ears are already accustomed to the chitter and I can hear through it. Now, if I want to go deeper then for sure I always use the headset. But thus far, I use the 6000 mostly for shallow ground applications, say 1-6 inch depth. And there, the machine screams at you regardless of EMI or not. When I know the gold is deep most of the times then I always use the 7000. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've heard it enough now from several folks about doing a factory re-set.  Have never done a re-set and I'll definitely try that next hunt and if needed, I'll have my headphones along also depending how the 6 reacts with the re-set.

Thanks a bunch everyone and I'll keep you all posted on my results next week........!!!!!!

32 minutes ago, oneguy said:

I've heard it enough now from several folks about doing a factory re-set.  Have never done a re-set and I'll definitely try that next hunt and if needed, I'll have my headphones along also depending how the 6 reacts with the re-set.

Thanks a bunch everyone and I'll keep you all posted on my results next week........!!!!!!

When you do a factory reset you have to re-pair your BT headset. Just takes a few sec. but something to remember. 

GC

In regards to pluging in any coil, you have to do that about 3 times.  Plug it in, screw on, push it in again, screw on further, third time its all the way pluged in tighten up.  I have had to do this with all my coils.  Might be an EMI source if not fully plugged in 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just a thought on the EMI/feedback here…I heard this the day you first showed me the 6000 JP and my new one did it the other day just after I picked it up aswell. 

General detecting with the external speaker wasn’t to bad, but the moment I put the detector down to dig, man oh man the feedback/EMI, whatever you want to call it, went off its head, bad enough I couldn’t hear the target in the scoop. As soon as I picked the machine up and started detecting, all was good again.

It never did this with the headphones (love the complete wireless set up by the way, I just dislike headphones completely due to sweaty ears 😖). The headphones also take the guess work away with any EMI that may be created by the speaker, and again are a good thing, just not my cup of tea.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

In regards to pluging in any coil, you have to do that about 3 times.  Plug it in, screw on, push it in again, screw on further, third time its all the way pluged in tighten up.  I have had to do this with all my coils.  Might be an EMI source if not fully plugged in 🤷‍♂️

Glad to hear about the difficulty there as I noticed it with mine as well the coil cable is really thick and the threds on the plug are small...so maybe after a while things will loosen up some...got the case that Steve recommended in and fit the detector just right. 

strick

• Like 1

I've only ever used it with the headphones as I'm not much for speakers and the EMI issue has been only a minimal nuciance thus far. I have had my phone on me every time so I attributed it to that. The interesting thing, thus far, Im impressed with is  the lack of interference from plane traffic. Detecting in the same areas in Central Az (which is a high traffic area for planes flying over in to Phoenix) with the SDC I would literally have to stop detecting for a minute or two until the plane was out of range. On high traffic days I would just quit. Not so with the 6. There have been a few moments of minimal plane interference but nothing like the SDC. Has anybody tried doing a noise cancel when the plane is flying over to try and tune them out? I think previous SDC owners will have a easier time with the 6 as their thresholds are very similar...warbely. I'm gonna keep my 4500 as I think the two machines complement each other....each making up for what the other lacks. 

• Like 2