Emi, The GPX 6000.... Your Thoughts?

What I have observed, is the threshold will be very stable after an auto tune, but then the instability creeps back in, and again an auto tune needs to be done to keep the sanity.   Maybe Minelab will have a software fix for us?

posting from NorCal Motherload country

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skookum said:

My observations have been that there is obvious EMI related to air traffic and other unstable threshold due to unknown factors. For instance, overhead airplanes always disrupt the balance. Those at lower altitudes are noticeably worse. Then there are times it just seem to get a little wacky without any obvious cause. Some of the time a noise cancel seems to quiet it down and other times not. The latter leads me to wonder if EMI is indeed not the end all cause of the erratic episodes. 

One thing I've noticed, & it's pretty obvious in a couple of videos I've seen, is that the 6000 hates having the tracking thrown out. In some videos you can see (& hear) where the pick etc. has come too close to the coil while it's set down to search for the target & it becomes erratic. Seen many comments wrongly say that it's EMI. 

Good thing is it's very easy fixed once setting off again, a quick track & a few broad sweeps seems to fix it up. 

I guess that's one price you pay for a very sensitive detector. I know I'm a lot more conscious of where my pick is or keeping things like phones out of coil detection range than I was with the 4500. GPZ was similar from memory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i do remember having a bit of feedback moving the coil off the ground on rough bedrock. JP had talked about keeping
the coil on the soil to keep it stable.
going back out in the morning to have a go at it.

• Like 2

In the attached video is an example of the tracking being thrown out by the pick. When the second target is found from about 8:10 you can quite audibly hear the ground balance get thrown out by the pick pretty subtly at first then when digging 2 × very audible pick strikes at about 8:40 & then again when he moved it pretty close by the coil at approx. 8:42 to 8:43. He then say "carrying on now isn't it".

Les doesn't re-balance or auto tune afterwards & the 6000 continues to be very erratic until the end. I've seen a few comments on that section of footage say how bad the 6000 is with EMI but to me it's pretty obvious that the pick being too close to the coil caused the bulk, if not all, of the erratic threshold.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just some thoughts I've noticed,

I have had noticed some EMI when next to multiple cell phones or when using the external speaker, but when I leave my cell phone in the vehicle and use the headphones everything seems a lot better. I primarily use the 11" Mono and have worked within 30 feet of power lines with very little EMI, in fact less EMI than my older PI machine has had in the same area. I do seem to need to do a few noise cancels, this occurs mostly after I'm lifting the coil high off the ground and letting it back onto the ground frequently. Some tips I have followed are JP's advice on letting the detector warm up and remember that if things do not seem right, then it is best to do a factory preset.

In regards to the coil twist, I would definitely like tighter shaft locks, but actually prefer not to have a fixed position coil lock. The reason for this is to have the ability to twist the coil at an angle parallel to the ground when working side hills within hydraulic pits, the holding the detector straight up and down and having the coil at different angles of the slope causes a lot less fatigue on my arms (shoulders) and is easier to swing the coil close to the ground. I am also prone to tripping a lot and pushing the coil into the ground pretty hard and have thought multiple times that I would of broke the coil tabs off if it had not been for the twisting of the shaft which absorbs most of the shock. It could beneficial if just the upper shaft lock did lock though, as i do like the Vanquish series square quick locks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AussieM....  I figured out the pick to close real quick....lol  

Metal in my normal boots wasn't a problem if I kept the coil out front but once in awhile the boots and/or pick would get too close.  Bought some metal free boots basically to have less to think about where my feet or coil are at.

Good thoughts on the shaft twisting possibly saving breaking a coil ear!  I also fall down a LOT out there, especially in the steep and towards end of the day....lol

thanks again everyone........

• Like 1

One thing I do know is the WINDIER and DRIER the conditions, the worse the EMI is.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, oneguy said:

I've had the rod twist but like Steve mentioned... it was when I was a little aggressive with the coil.  The minor issue is nothing compared to how pissed I get when I can't get the machine to settle down (emi) and just enjoy my hunt.  Wed. I got so mad I left the 6 on the bank and grabbed the Monster to finish out the rest of the day.  Thinking about selling it.

I've seen two posts on Facebook now with people who had out of control EMI, they both had their GPX replaced and were then happy with the new one.  It wasn't the coil in either case, one of them only had it a few days and took it back to the dealer where they tried another coil, the detector itself had a problem.   There must be some part that's possibly a bit variable and makes some perform worse than others and in rare cases makes the detector just terrible to use, although this diagnosis is very simplistic based off only a couple of detectors.   Yours sounds unusually bad and perhaps you also have a faulty coil or like these two people a faulty detector.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Tony said:

One thing I do know is the WINDIER and DRIER the conditions, the worse the EMI is.

We used to notice that a lot with the SDC in particular. Windy conditions used to cause us no end of frustration some days. Being dry is just a usual Aussie summer & sometimes winter condition (depending on north/south location).

I've read a theory on it somewhere that sounded plausible. Electrostatic discharge which can occur due to rapid movement of air near electronic equipment. I'm assuming that this could also occur with coil movement on still days too but just not as likely or prominent?

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

have my doubts it is EMI at all, as even in remotest Alaska the machine will act up,

I wonder if the new Starlink system could be causing a new form of EMI in remote areas. It is space based for the internet and would cover most areas now.

Since I don't know for sure I thought I would ask.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Northeast
      Morning everyone, 
      Had a search of the forum and although there are a few mentions of the 14" DD in various thread content I couldn't find a specific thread for discussion around it. 
      Did a video a few days ago getting a few small pieces of gold and small rubbish at a location I've found lots of small gold in a small area.  
      I know that I like watching videos and many of us often encourage others to do a video of this or that.  I figure that rather than asking everyone else to do it I should probably do some of the hard yards myself!  This is certainly not an advertisement of a Youtube channel and I have no illusions that my production quality or information provided is any better than fairly average  🤣
      Something for you Northern Hemisphere folk to watch during the cold months.  
      Happy for anyone to add to the discussion, link a video, show some DD finds or provide some tips on the thread.   
      The thing I found interesting about this was that the target shown at 3.55 mins was quite bright in Normal ground mode.  It ended up being no target at all and just a small pocket of really wet clay.  The fact that it brightened up with the DD surprises me.  The fact that it then brightened up quite a bit more in Normal maybe should have alerted me to the fact that it was ground noise and not a genuine target as the difference in signal on small pieces of gold swapping between Difficult and Normal has been quite small.
      Cheers, N.E.  

• By Rob Allison
      Hello All,
          The new Minelab 17" Elliptical Searchcoils for the Minelab GPX 6000 have been flying off the shelves, definitely high demand.   Due to the high demand, I haven't had much time to use one, everyone ends of taking mine ... LOL
      I haven't seen much larger gold being found at depth yet, but I'm sure it is.  Curious how people and past customers are doing with this new 17" Searchcoil beyond covering more ground quicker?  
      We still have a few left in stock from the last large shipment and more on the way if anyone is still searching for a new "Christmas present.!"  Hahaha 
      Would love to see some pictures or at least hear about any success with the new searchcoil.  
      Wishing you all much success on the goldfield.
      17" Searchcoil available here - https://www.robsdetectors.com/minelab-gpx-6000-17-searchcoil/
      Rob
    • By Aureous
      Seeing how this topic has numerous mentions across the internet, what are the range of faults exhibited? My nearest dealer is over an hour from me so I don't want to travel back and forth after picking mine up if I get a faulty one. So I know what to look for after collection and field test. 
    • By oldcoinhunter
      My first 6000 was faulty out of the box which they replaced with a new one. I've had the new one for 21 days and probably used it 8 days before it went bad.  When i was boxing it up to ship back i heard something rattling inside of it, not good. In researching i found that they've known them to have major issues since March or April, yet they have refused to address the issue with a production stop or at least look at the different production runs and recall those units. I think when it's all said and done there will be a substantial number of them that are faulty worldwide. As it stands now, Detector Center states that there is a" temporary" 10- 14 day time frame for repairing them. My bet is that it's not going to be temporary. If this failure rate continues there may be grounds for a worldwide class action lawsuit, who knows. Oh, and i owned a business for 40 years. Not a very smart way to run a business. JMO.
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      Well my staff/I just finished the season and wrap up of field training for 2021 and our customers...and boy did it go out with a bang and big belly's thanks to Chef Rusty Bucket.  Smoked ribs, Bourbon shrimp in garlic sauce, berry pie and ice cream, smoked Brisket, bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos and more.  Wish I would have taken more pics of the food.  As I have said before, the food/drinks/people are part of why I enjoy these trips, as I know the gold will eventually come.
      As many know, Gerry’s Detectors has been training out there at the burn barrel with a few different staff members since the 90’s.   We have been using just about every model of gold detector from the top manufactures as well as coils to see what the best results are.  The comparisons of customers detectors continue to see the improvements of technologies and capabilities which is what we want.  Yes there are times a more expensive detector may not produce the best signal response on that particular targets, but it’s what it is and part of learning.
      Some of what we found most amazing and it’s exactly what I expected would happen during the training at RP.  The gold nuggets being found during the 3 days of class was the most of any session in at least 5+ yrs.  More people went home with actual Rye Patch gold than what my staff/I have witnessed in quite a long time.  The knowledge shared was the same stuff we always go over, but the knowledge retained was higher.  The class size is usually around the same, but the amount of golden smiles of success was better than many yrs prior.  We know the VLF detectors when fit with small coils are going to find a few pickers, but to see the bigger PI machines perform so well and produce such higher %’s of beautiful NV gold was most impressive.
      So lets go over it again to see what my Staff/I observed, in no particular order.  Knowledge of customers detectors was actually retained, smiles of happy customers making the right choice of detectors, the amount of successful customers who went home with gold and the overall numbers of gold nuggets dug by the students.  There is one thing that I corollate all these positives and it’s the new GPX-6000, period.
      Yes we had SDC-2300’s, GPZ-7000, GPX-5000’s and the usual VLF’s in the class being learned by the students and those who were there with the GPX-6000 had the most Success.  But the success of gold nugget finds was just part of the fun.  Ease of operation and simplicity we’ve never seen from a PI Minelab was also most impressive.  The customers were actually not afraid of their detectors.  They didn’t worry if the timing and or sequence of adjustments was correct, as the GPX-6000 is pretty much a turn on and go.  The old way, a big multi page instruction manual (is missing) and now we get a 3 step Quick Start…and it’s true.  1) Turn On.  2) Raise/Lower Coil for 10s, 3) Begin Detecting.  Are you kidding me, no way that can’t be true.  We just paid $6000 for one of the latest technology fine tuned gold detectors in the world and all we get in the box to help learn, is 3 short steps with a combined total of 10 words?  

Well folks,  it’s all true and so is the amount of happy customers who invested in our training and the new GPX-6000.
      If anyone thinks there was some other reason for the above, please chime in as all indicators are bulls eyed at the GPX-6000.  Overall the trip went exceptionally well consider the 100 yr rain storm that came through while we were down there.  I still love the natural beauty of Northern NV in the fall and the colors on the gold nuggets we dug.
      Hopefully the Spring/Summer class will be just as productive with a group of new enthusiastic customers and more gold being unearthed.

• By billdean
      Each time I try and ground balance my 6000 there is no detectable change. While holding the GB button I pump the coil then move it side to side. It’s like it don’t work. I friend of mine says his does not either. What am I missing? I run in manual mode with the threshold on. The noise cancel works very well.