Fresh Drop Hunting..3 Gold Rings

18 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Have you ever contacted the manufacturer of that suit?  They may pay you some money out of great concern for what happened to you.  You should let them know you have never told anyone you were wearing THEIR suit and see what they say!  haha

Like my Excalibur's, every thing I use has been reworked for what I need them to do.. Unfortunately, the suit looks nothing like the factory's for I've changed everything from the boots up to the neck seal, I'm sure they would get a laugh out of what has been done to it.  With what I have planned for the next Generation of my winter hunting suit, I should be able to hunt and be warm but just not as long.. Hoping I can push hunt time to 2 hours.. before I could hunt as long as I wanted. 

Here is the old drysuit setup. On the new winter drysuit,  all will be the same except the boots..

OBN0338.jpg

InkedOBN-0000 (6)_LI.jpg

20180120_100754.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

Surely there must be an buyer's outlet for old astronaut suits???? That would solve everything....no modifications needed.  From the pictures, you are half way there anyways. It would be nice to have something that you could never feel the cold no matter what the temperature of the water was. Also those rings are sweet looking. I'm gold-less so far for 2 hunts, so I get to stare at your gold to make me feel better. Nice hunt there Joe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

It would be nice to have something that you could never feel the cold no matter what the temperature of the water was.

That's what I had before, I could hunt for 5 hours and be toasty in low 30F waters.. temps could be in the teens and wind chill lower. I still have the "Muck Artic Pro" boots which are good down to Neg 50...., I was thinking lead weights on the ankles and a life jacket. But both would have to work in perfect harmony. Just enough lead to keep my feet down and enough floatation to keep my head above water, and not sink...

I see my hunting coming to a stop soon. Obligations are slowly growing, This will give me time to play with my equipment. Always next year.

Good Luck on the gold, Once you find the right spot I know it's going to happen for you!!

• Like 4

On 9/19/2021 at 11:48 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

That's what I had before, I could hunt for 5 hours and be toasty in low 30F waters.. temps could be in the teens and wind chill lower. I still have the "Muck Artic Pro" boots which are good down to Neg 50...., I was thinking lead weights on the ankles and a life jacket. But both would have to work in perfect harmony. Just enough lead to keep my feet down and enough floatation to keep my head above water, and not sink...

I see my hunting coming to a stop soon. Obligations are slowly growing, This will give me time to play with my equipment. Always next year.

Good Luck on the gold, Once you find the right spot I know it's going to happen for you!!

Nice set up. I hope you can figure out how to keep it upright and still be comfortable enough to hunt. I don't know about you, but for me I never do well at detecting if I only have a couple of hours to hunt. It takes me a while to get into a good groove. I do hope your obligations don't press too hard on your soul and everything works out well for you in that respect. Detecting is how I rid myself of stress. Without it I would be in divorce court 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hope you put the suit on after going to the local bank, though it might make withdrawals more lucrative.

You make water hunting look so easy. Nice finds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/19/2021 at 1:09 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Like my Excalibur's, every thing I use has been reworked for what I need them to do.. Unfortunately, the suit looks nothing like the factory's for I've changed everything from the boots up to the neck seal, I'm sure they would get a laugh out of what has been done to it.  With what I have planned for the next Generation of my winter hunting suit, I should be able to hunt and be warm but just not as long.. Hoping I can push hunt time to 2 hours.. before I could hunt as long as I wanted. 

Here is the old drysuit setup. On the new winter drysuit,  all will be the same except the boots..

OBN0338.jpg

InkedOBN-0000 (6)_LI.jpg

20180120_100754.jpg

Joe your modified equipment reminds me of the guy who claimed to have the ax that George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree.  It had been in the family so long that they wore out two heads and five handles!!! 

• Haha 5

On 9/20/2021 at 5:48 AM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Hi Joe!

I know you love you Excals and have a very success with it,just wonder if you have have the ctx3030 or what do you think about the ctx in the water(Beside waterproof comparison which excal is better i know) can it hit gold rings in the water as good as Excal?

• Like 1