Infinium Ls

I was thinking about buying one of these because I need a light-weight water-proof PI for Serpentine Bedrock in streams.

Steve already gave me his opinion.  While I GREATLY respect his expertise, I'd like to get a few more opinions from the rest of you Gurus.  😁

Thanks!

Walt

Weren't you a White's dealer at one time?  Why the Garrett Infinium over the White's TDI?  Is there a concern about waterproofness?  Cost?

1 minute ago, kac said:

Woudln't it be better to use an ATX? Still supported or is that just too heavy and $$$?

Yes it would but I had one.  Found it too heavy.  I have arthritis in my wrists and bad shoulders so wanted something to hip mount.  This won't be my primary PI.  I have a Whites TDI SL.  Just looking for a PI that's water-proof around streams.

Thanks!

Walt

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Weren't you a White's dealer at one time?  Why the Garrett Infinium over the White's TDI?  Is there a concern about waterproofness?  Cost?

Yes, I have the TDI SL.  As I mentioned to Kac, I need a PI that's water-proof around streams.  I used the Infinium when it first came out and liked it really well but then opted for the TDI  as I was living in the desert of Southern California.  I'm a Garrett Dealer so I could buy an ATX at cost if they weren't so darn heavy.  I figure the SDC2300 was about the same weight.

Thanks!

Walt

• Like 2

ATX is two pounds heavier than SDC!

If you are not actually going underwater, no real reason not to use the TDI. Even if dropped in the water, it will probably survive if snatched up quickly and dried off. The TDI is a newer machine than the Infinium, and the better performer of the two.

Garrett really needs that lightweight ATX I have been making noise about forever. The ATX is a fine machine, but needs a lighter housing, and standard coils without a rod attached. It’s crazy every ATX coil you buy, you have to buy an entire telescoping fiberglass rod assembly, doubling the cost of the coil. It also makes packing a spare coil in a ruck sack a real pain, and makes coil swaps the most difficult of all detectors I’ve used. Such a shame such a great circuit is hobbled by such a heavy housing and nutty coil system. Maybe the “new Garrett” we are seeing now, will finally revisit this long overdue situation.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

ATX is two pounds heavier than SDC!

If you are not actually going underwater, no real reason not to use the TDI. Even if dropped in the water, it will probably survive if snatched up quickly and dried off. The TDI is a newer machine than the Infinium, and the better performer of the two.

I agree that the TDI is a way better machine, Steve.   It may have been partially responsible for the Infinium's demise.  If they had made the water-proof one with interchangeable coils, I would have bought it. 

I sold a customer a Fisher Gold Bug.  He wanted me to come up to his claim and teach him how to use it.  I was swinging the AT Gold.  We crossed the creek and sure enough, I slipped on a rock and used my hands to brace my fall.  The detector landed in the creek.  So, I'm just a little leery of using something that I can no longer drive to the factory and drop off for repair.   Plus, I thought it would be nice to have a back up PI.  I'm trading a Gold Monster for my friend's detector with the stock 14" DD, the 5'x10" DD, the 3'x7" DD, coil covers, headphones and carry bag.  As far as I know, he's only been out two times with it.

The SDC 2300 is 5.1 pounds without the batteries which add about another 10 or 12ounces.  If we were to have any Gold Shows next year, maybe I'll check it for weight and see if it might work for me.  There's a guy on You Tube who goes by the handle of "Two Toes" that does really well crevicing with one.

Thanks!

Walt

"Maybe the “new Garrett” we are seeing now, will finally revisit this long overdue situation. "

One can hope!  I'd buy one.

Thanks!

Walt

• Like 1

How hard is the 2300 to use?  I like simple.  That's why I bought a TDI SL.