Equinox 800 Vs Garrett AT Max Vs Anything Else On Newegg

Hello, and apologies in advance for being a complete noob.

My goal is to find interesting antiques on some land that I've inherited in New Zealand. I'm sure you all have insightful opinions on which detector to purchase, however I need to purchase with cryptocurrency and newegg.com is the only site I've found where I can pay with crypto, and also have it delivered to NZ.

Please compare and contrast:

Garrett AT max

Minelab Equinox 800

Teknetics T2 / or omega 8500

Fisher F19

TX-850

Gratefully accepting opinions on which to buy, or alternatively another place to buy a metal detector with crypto in NZ

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, I've never used Newegg, but it took 5 seconds to have a quick search on it to see Chinese clone fake detectors are sold on there all over the place, I expect that's why you've discovered detectors like the T2 which can be genuine or fake, more often than not fake as only Teknetics dealers would be selling the real thing and the TX850 is a Fake Teknetics G2 which is much like the F19 (another variation of it) you're also talking of.

Keep in mind when buying these clones you're not getting the real thing, performance is variable as is build quality.  Some models appear to work almost as they should, others not so much.  If you want to do well finding these antiques you're better off buying a genuine detector.

The Equinox 800 and Garrett AT Max as far as I'm aware are very rarely cloned if at all, so either would be a safer option and both suitable for what you want to do.

I'm not sure why your only payment option is crypto but generally the stores that will accept that could possibly be the same stores that will be happy to rip you off 🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I'm not sure why your only payment option is crypto but generally the stores that will accept that could possibly be the same stores that will be happy to rip you off 🙂

Thanks friend, I appreciate the reply. I just have a lot more crypto than cash and it's a pain to cash out here, I'm better off buying a new toy at a premium than cashing out and buying local.

Thanks for the information about the fakes

Which would you recommend out of the Equinox 800 and Garrett AT Max?

Personally I'd buy the Equinox 800, multi frequency machine with more features and more versatile.   Both are good machines the Equinox is just the more modern machine that is overall a better unit.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

Firstly, I've never used Newegg, but it took 5 seconds to have a quick search on it to see Chinese clone fake detectors are sold on there all over the place,...

Wow, that is disappointing.  Back when I was building (my own) computers from assembled components, NewEgg was my (and many others') go-to site.  Their products were legit back then (basically first decade of this millenium is the time frame I'm referring to).  I just hate it when a company I trust goes bad, but they aren't the first nor will they be the last.  😞  Thanks for the heads-up.

• Like 1

I’ll skip the contrasting and cut to the chase - it’s hard to go wrong with Equinox 800 for almost any type of detecting. To date, it does more different detecting tasks well than any other detector made. It’s the first, and still only, true “do-it-all” detector on the market. I’ve been detecting for near on 50 years now, enjoy everything from nugget detecting to mask and snorkel saltwater detecting, and everything in between. If I had to have one, and only one detector, for the widest range of uses, it would be an Equinox 800.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’ll skip the contrasting and cut to the chase - it’s hard to go wrong with Equinox 800 for almost any type of detecting. To date, it does more different detecting tasks well than any other detector made. It’s the first, and still only, true “do-it-all” detector on the market. I’ve been detecting for near on 50 years now, enjoy everything from nugget detecting to mask and snorkel saltwater detecting, and everything in between. If I had to have one, and only one detector, for the widest range of uses, it would be an Equinox 800.

I concur with all written above. Heck, I have two 800's because one is just not trustworthy enough. 😂 

• Like 2

I would use a regular metal detector dealer. I used to use Newegg for computer parts but they aren't the same company now. Had a run in with them and a merchant that was selling product that wasn't in stock. Got worse when the product was drop shipped to another address after cancellation and Newegg kept bouncing me around to different service reps. Ultimately Paypal refunded me and went after them. Just really sloppy and too bad because they used to be a great source.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

At least as of 10-15 years ago, Newegg lost a lot of respect (from me and at least a few others) due to the fact (or rumor?) that they modified their reviews so that certain negative reviews of products were taken down.

I don't know if they still have that policy. And even if they did, it's almost a given that any online review (as well as aggregate rating) has to be taken with a few grains of salt (if not the whole shaker).

Either way, I've ordered from them a few times in the past few years for basic computer components and have been happy with my purchase.