Equinox 800 Vs Garrett AT Max Vs Anything Else On Newegg

I'll compare and contrast the AT Max and Equinox 800 based on the fact that I currently use an AT Max and used to have a Vanquish 540 and Equinox 600.

The only reason(s) to get a Garrett AT Max over the Equiunox 800 is b/c one or more of the following applies to you:

1. You love Garrett products and have extreme loyalty to them.

2. You love buying products made in the USA.

3. You prefer your metal detector to use replaceable batteries and/or AA batteries

4. You prefer an S-shaft design (although the Equinox pod can be mounted on an S-shaft if you really wanted, but it looks very janky, in my opinion).

5. You need a truly reliable, all-weather metal detector. Yes, the Equinox is waterproof, but it's not as reliable as te AT Max in that regard.

6. You can find the AT Max for much cheaper than the Equinox 800.

7. You like the idea of having access to numerous aftermarket coils and experimenting with them.

8. You don't plan on doing any extensive saltwater beach hunting.

TL;DR: Unless you have a very specific or unique reason for getting the AT Max, you're better off with the Equinox 800 (ignoring the price difference).

• Like 4

Don't count out the Apex, I am having a blast with mine. Tossed on one of Steve G's carbon shafts and it is just over a couple pounds and less money than the Max.

• Like 4

I wouldn't worry about the AT Max being said to be more reliable, it has a 2 year warranty, the Equinox has a 3 year warranty.  Minelab have a service center in NZ for the Equinox, for the AT Max you'd be shipping it back to the USA.  My Equinox has not skipped a beat and I treat it like a tool, not a precious piece of equipment.  It's had a hard life and it's got to be around 3 years old now.  I got it as soon as they came out.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2021 at 8:10 PM, kac said:

Don't count out the Apex, I am having a blast with mine. Tossed on one of Steve G's carbon shafts and it is just over a couple pounds and less money than the Max.

The Apex is definitely a nice detector for the money. If it had a threshold based all metal mode or something similar I would totally prefer it to an AT Gold or AT Max.

However, since the original poster (Welcome by the way!!!) is from New Zealand with a Minelab repair center close by, and at least four of us on this forum have had to contact Garrett about our APEX coils and/or control boxes and shipped them to Texas for repair…….I would highly recommend the OP get a Minelab Equinox 800.

I completely agree with Steve H. I have said this repeatedly on this forum: I am not a fanboy, I didn’t jump on the “Equinox Wagon” because I was mesmerized by the hype, and I never offer an opinion about a detector that I haven’t owned or used extensively. The Equinox 800 is the most versatile VLF detector I have ever used. It can be used effectively in just about any soil conditions on any types of targets within range. It is ready to go right out of the box, it can be adjusted slightly or its settings can be ridiculously customized after several hours of getting acquainted (50 to 100 hours of just basic detecting in default Park 1 for a newbie).

For me anyway, it is the detector I have waited for since I first began to understand what high mineralization can do to single frequency VLF detectors several years ago and how even Whites, Minelab and now Garrett’s simultaneous multi frequency offerings prior to the Equinox offered virtually NO advantage over a single frequency detector in higher iron mineralized dirt. SMF technology is definitely not the same from one detector model compared to another.

• Like 5