Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

20 hours ago, Skookum said:

Interesting feedback. Even with a smaller coil wouldn’t a PI have less reactivity to hot rocks than a hot VLF?

P.S. Not a challenge to what you have seen. Just trying to understand theories. The only thing I can compare to here is the SDC.

Yes a PI will have less ground reaction, in the case of the 6000 it’s pushing the PI tech to crazy extremes (even crazier than Steves insane sensitivity settings 😝), because of this ‘pushing of the envelope’ there can be undesirable behaviours in certain conditions like a tendency to be more prone to EMI, Salt and Saturation signals.

My point was if the standard 11” coil is achieving such ridiculous amounts of sensitivity in a ‘pushed to the very limits’ detector then there might be an issue in pushing that even further by making a smaller/more sensitive coil. All conjecture on my part and not intended to burst anyone’s balloon.  Logically a super sensitive PI is still going to be a better option than a VLF assuming the gold present is conducive to PI. 

JP

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Calmark said:

I'm located in California, USA and would also like to see an elliptical coil with a width in the 5-6 inch range. That size would make scanning bedrock crevices and rocky areas much easier to accomplish.

I don't want a more sensitive coil than the 11in factory round, as it already finds tiny nuggets. I think a traditionally wound small coil could tame it some against really nasty ground, yet the small size help it still find gold the size the partially flat wound 11in round Minelab already cleans up on.  

The issue is when making a smaller coil they will inherently be more sensitive due to the smaller size (more winds of wire to get the inductance right), everything gets more cramped inside a smaller coils housing so things like the solder joints can become incredibly problematic along with the proximity of the coil lead itself (I’ve discussed the GPX6000’s ability to ‘see’ its own coil lead on another thread).

An elliptical shape can very quickly leave the developer will nil room to put anything. I’m not saying it can’t be done just that there is a high chance that such a small coil could be problematic with GeoSense. The good thing about this forum is one of the developers is actively participating on the forum and will see the comments here and take them on board, the more people who ask the more incentive there will be to invest time and energy into overcoming any pitfalls. Demand will always drive incentive to invest. I highly recommend my American prospecting mates to put their name to this thread and push hard for this to happen, this is your chance to finally get the coil you desire. 😊 

JP

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

The issue is when making a smaller coil they will inherently be more sensitive due to the smaller size (more winds of wire to get the inductance right), everything gets more cramped inside a smaller coils housing so things like the solder joints can become incredibly problematic along with the proximity of the coil lead itself (I’ve discussed the GPX6000’s ability to ‘see’ its own coil lead on another thread).

An elliptical shape can very quickly leave the developer will nil room to put anything. I’m not saying it can’t be done just that there is a high chance that such a small coil could be problematic with GeoSense. The good thing about this forum is one of the developers is actively participating on the forum and will see the comments here and take them on board, the more people who ask the more incentive there will be to invest time and energy into overcoming any pitfalls. Demand will always drive incentive to invest. I highly recommend my American prospecting mates to put their name to this thread and push hard for this to happen, this is your chance to finally get the coil you desire. 😊 

JP

I can definitely imagine the construction of a smaller coil while keeping within the confines of the GPX 6000's requirements and managing it's extreme sensitivity will be a challenge. 

I know fully flat wound coils for the older GPX detectors were a maximum of 8-9" along the smallest dimension, due to space issues.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are considerations in manufacturing smaller coils like these that also hold true for the 6000.

I just hope we don't get something like a "plain vanilla" 8 inch round as the smallest coil due to technology or economic constraints.  While still much more user friendly at 8in over the 11in round, I'd be a little bit disappointed if that's as small as it got, as my SDC already has a stock coil that size for small gold.  Sure, the 6000 will beat the SDC for depth, but in confined, cramped areas, depth isn't everything.

• Like 4

Small coil sizes, increased sensitivity, more reaction to ground etc etc, takes me back to the swing from low frequency VLFs to higher frequency of the GM2 and GB2 with their small ellipticals and their productive popular performance, to just yesterday the success of the smaller X coils on the Z, tis elementary Coiltek and ML a small elliptical mono for the 6K will sell like hot cakes not just in the US but OZ too. You ever detect in FNQ OZ grass up around your ears you`ll know where I`m coming from.😉

• Like 5

Size does matter.....😜 But aren't we at a better place already? I remember those days trying to poke that Z/14 inch stock coil into small crevices, desperately trying to unleash modern technology into areas where usually only small VLF coils would fit in. Now with the 6000 we already have three great coils and more are coming, hopefully including smaller ones for us California bedrock freaks. Yes, we are at a better place. 😁

GC

• Like 3

The 6000 being able to use mono coils opens up a world of possibilities for coil options. 

Round, elliptical, semi-elliptical, spiral wound, bundle wound, stacked-spiral..... the options are endless. 

What I want in the arsenal is a bundle wound mono in between the 11" round and 17x13". Reason is they are both too sensitive in some areas, and I want something that's deeper than the 11", but also smoother running. I think a bundle wound coil would achieve this, and I wouldn't be fussed losing sensitivity to the stuff smaller than 0.1 of a gram. Detech have a 12.5" round size which is an excellent compromise size, and loved that on my 4500. A less sensitive coil also means I'd be able to use Normal in more places, especially when the ground dries out. Mineralised clay and charcoal don't like being wet! 

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

As an example of supply and demand though I can actually have a pretty good guess at the numbers of the new NF Zsearch coils that have gone out and as it currently stands I’d say my business here in Clermont has shifted an equal amount of Zsearch 12 coils as the whole of the US orders. Now to be fair the US winter gold season is only just starting up and the Zsearch was hard to get hold of at the end of the US season earlier this year along with the subsequent release of the GPX 6000 (plus the Zsearch is also an expensive add on), but this example probably goes a long way to explain why the need in the US has never been fully addressed which is a shame. 😔 

That and the Z search is only slightly different in terms of size than the original stock coil. Nugget Finder was not targeting the US market with this coil and my feeling is that anyone that bought it here in the US did so out of desperation for something different for the Z...they say it performs better then the stock coil so maybe that was enough justification to purchase...I'm still waiting patiently for a better coil selection for the Z (Coiltek you listening?) but have the 6K to play with till then...may have to go Russian eventually... 

strick

• Like 3

I would expect that Coiltek will be testing a range of coils to suit the 6k. The 14x9 would be my guess for the first release as they have the tooling and equipment already in place for that specific size.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

Size does matter.....😜 But aren't we at a better place already? I remember those days trying to poke that Z/14 inch stock coil into small crevices, desperately trying to unleash modern technology into areas where usually only small VLF coils would fit in. Now with the 6000 we already have three great coils and more are coming, hopefully including smaller ones for us California bedrock freaks. Yes, we are at a better place. 😁

GC

Aye GC we sure are in a better place with the 6K in regards to coils, I love the 17 tis lightweight for its size and being eliptical is suitable to push through that grass.

Looking forward to the annual property owner burns to put it over some deep country the Z w/. 19 and X17CC coils scored on, see if it can sniff out a few deepies.

• Like 2

Hey Guys/Gals,

I'm sure the 14x9 will be one of the first aftermarket coils from Coiltek for the GPX 6000.  It has always been a long time favorite coil for all detecting needs.  A smaller coil will also be nice, as there are goldfields with tons of brush, boulders and such that don't even allow a 11" round coil to hunt the majority of the ground. 

Steve - There is a smaller NF coil, the Z Search 12" Round for the GPZ 7000.  I have been using this coil since the release and I really like it.  They are back in stock again, plus they now have heavy duty skid plates for them.  

I have never tried a X coil to date on any Minelab PI or GPZ. 

Rob

• Like 2