Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

You have very valid reasons for being frustrated Steve so no argument from me. The X coil thing is a ‘no checks and measures’ freedom all aftermarket coil makers used to enjoy but alas NF have to pay the price for ‘plug and play’ freedom by being required to jump through a lot of hoops which is very time consuming, I presume Coiltek will also be jumping through those very same hoops and would likely explain the mid 2022 advised release dates.

Trying to develop a smaller coil for the GPZ when the rumours of a better GPX being in the works would have been a nightmare to try and crystal ball. As it is our Zsearch sales have dropped right off since the release of the 6000 so those fears have been to a pretty large extent realised (you do however need to take into consideration our season is about to end with summer coming on).

I would like to see a smaller Zsearch and also a larger one but if I have three Zsearch coils that’s a lot of coin invested, for a lot of people that would be prohibitive and I would say NF are very aware of that. Do they invest R&D time into a smaller coil when the GPX6000 is doing such a good job on the smaller gold or do they invest in a larger coil that might have a smaller sales volume instead? I’d say ML did not deliver on more coils for the GPZ for the very same reasons with the added development disincentive of the GPZ 7000 still continuing to sell well in its current guise.

JP

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I would like to see a smaller Zsearch and also a larger one but if I have three Zsearch coils that’s a lot of coin invested, for a lot of people that would be prohibitive and I would say NF are very aware of that. Do they invest R&D time into a smaller coil when the GPX6000 is doing such a good job on the smaller gold or do they invest in a larger coil that might have a smaller sales volume instead? I’d say ML did not deliver on more coils for the GPZ for the very same reasons with the added development disincentive of the GPZ 7000 still continuing to sell well in its current guise.

I’m only bringing the GPZ up due to all that I hear from faithful GPZ owners. The ones who stood by Minelab and Nugget Finder and Coiltek, loyally waiting for the coils they craved. They endured being made fun of by X Coil owners, who got the coils that they themselves wished they had. What has been their reward for being loyal, extremely patient customers? Not much, in my estimation.

Is the 11” only an inch smaller than the 12” which is an inch smaller than the narrow width of the GPZ stock coil? Yes, that’s a fact, and if you want to talk weight differences, it’s far lighter than the NF 12, which alone costs a full quarter of the purchase price of a GPX 6000 with two coils! So consider me well satisfied to have ditched the GPZ and replaced it with the GPX 6000. The three coils I already have suit me just fine were there to be no more 6000 coils at all, simply because I do think an 11” coil is a sweet spot of sorts. A even smaller coil is something I desire, but the 11” is still just fine for the majority of my use. Minelab must agree, since every PI they ever made came with an 11” coil.

The 17” mono is a dream coil that will probably be my most used coil next year. I still honestly believe that in the U.S., on most ground, and most gold we encounter, the GPX 6000 is the optimum detector choice at this time. That being the case the GPZ situation is moot to me personally, but I truly feel the pain of those who have waited, and continue to wait, for a plug and play coil selection befitting the worlds most expensive consumer level metal detector ever produced.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The 17” mono is a dream coil that will probably be my most used coil next year. I still honestly believe that in the U.S., on most ground, and most gold we encounter, the GPX 6000 is the optimum detector choice at this time. That being the case the GPZ situation is moot to me personally, but I truly feel the pain of those who have waited, and continue to wait, for a plug and play coil selection befitting the worlds most expensive consumer level metal detector ever produced.

Definitely not trying to defend ML here or ruffle your feathers Steve, I agree in a large part with you fully. My point however is that at least now there’s a start to accessory coil options for the GPZ which although only a bit smaller is a lot lighter. Those faithful loyal GPZ customers who have been patiently waiting unfortunately only represent a small part of the overall GPZ market (of course I empathise with them I’m one of them😞), whereas the GPX6000 will demographically sell a lot differently hence the announcement of more coil options so soon after the release.

The main market where the bulk of GPZ’s are sold are not interested in the Zsearch 12, they have a totally different approach to their search for gold, its all about big deep nuggets which for them is mostly in virgin ground and the GPZ 7000 with its 14 inch coil still largely fits that bill. Also for those interested,  a Zsearch 12 inch with lower shaft costs $1295 here in Australia whereas a GPX6000 costs approx 6 times more at $7999 (with 2 coils), I’m not sure of the comparative prices in US dollars.

Prior to the release of the 6000 the GPZ 7000 was the only real choice for depth and small target sensitivity compared to a GPX 5000, the ZVT tech will always be a heavy unit due to the requirement of 3 windings in the coil so I seriously doubt we will ever see a sub 1 kilogram coil or small coils on any future ZVT models if ML develop anything going forward, it’s just not possible and TBH not required now we have the amazing GPX6000. 😊 ZVT is all about max depth.

Just my opinion from my own perspective. 

JP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

the ZVT tech will always be a heavy unit due to the requirement of 3 windings in the coil

You are not ruffling my feathers at all JP, and I hope I don’t ruffle yours when I say that yes, you are defending Minelab. You put yourself out there as their default spokesperson, when they never speak for themselves. If anything is ever said that is critical of Minelab, you are there running defense.

The GPZ sold in huge numbers worldwide, generating record profits for Minelab. To say that market has no interest in accessory coils just flies in the face of common sense. People want these coils so bad they will cut up coils to make adapters to get the coils made by X Coil.

X Coil has long since proven that small coils, and large coils, can be made for the GPZ that suit people just fine. The only requirements here are ones artificially imposed by Minelab, along with this idea that coils must work well in all locations. This has never been true, as all Minelab PI detectors had mono, DD, and figure 8 windings, for varying performance in different soil types.

ZVT is only all about max depth? Yes, including max depth on small gold, something X Coil proves can be done with ZVT, with superb results. More likely Minelab saw a small hot GPZ coil as competing with its soon to be released GPX 6000, and squashed the release. Minelab very much appears to enforce differentiation of detector performance by artificially limiting coil selections, keeping each model distinct, aimed at certain tasks.

Enough. I’ve said all I have to say about all this. Interesting discussion though, and thanks for the alternate perspectives JP. Now go out and find some gold! :smile:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 9/24/2021 at 7:51 AM, strick said:

That and the Z search is only slightly different in terms of size than the original stock coil. Nugget Finder was not targeting the US market with this coil and my feeling is that anyone that bought it here in the US did so out of desperation for something different for the Z...they say it performs better then the stock coil so maybe that was enough justification to purchase..

IMHO, the NF-Zsearch coil is a quantum leap away from the 14 stock. It is not only smaller and hence more amenable for both open field as well as difficult terrain applications, it also weighs less, handles better,  is much more sensitive to fast timing gold but without loosing depth at all. Ever since I mounted it I never took it off. Yes, it's a steep price tag but it elevates the Z where it has not been before (not to mention the X-coils which certainly have had a huge impact as well). As for the 6000, I don't see how new coils would outperform the existing 6000 stock coils, like what happened to the Z with the X-coils and NF-Zsearch. New 6000 coils will add more size options and perhaps add some nuances for certain applications, but the current 6000 coils are so great and so perfectly synchronized with the detector that I have a hard time believing that any new coil would add a significant performance advantage.

GC

• Like 7

On 9/24/2021 at 2:58 PM, Norvic said:

I love the 17 tis lightweight for its size and being eliptical is suitable to push through that grass.

Same here my friend, I am absolutely in love with the 17. But then I love the 14 and 11 as well. At times, I have a hard time choosing which one to mount as some terrain could use all three. And with all my previous praise of the NF-Zsearch I have to admit that I haven't used it much lately. The 6000 is just a bomb!

GC

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You are not ruffling my feathers at all JP, and I hope I don’t ruffle yours when I say that yes, you are defending Minelab. You put yourself out there as their default spokesperson, when they never speak for themselves. If anything is ever said that is critical of Minelab, you are there running defense.

I’ll own some of that Steve without ruffling my feathers, OK my feathers are ruffled a little but only because I think you are being a bit harsh.🥺 I have an insight into ML than many do not as such I often see misinformation posted around the net including on this forum and feel compelled to at least try to put balance to an unbalanced discussion, because as you have stated ML do not have a public voice (their choice). I’m sorry if this makes you feel I’m placing myself in the role as the ‘unofficial spokesperson’ as I can assure you my days of stepping up and blindly defending them are long gone, you and I are way too long in the tooth to be starry eyed and romantic about this kind of thing anymore. That does not say I’ve given up just that there’s a tempering and hopefully a wisdom to my ways now.😕

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Enough. I’ve said all I have to say about all this. Interesting discussion though, and thanks for the alternate perspectives JP. Now go out and find some gold! :smile:

Calling me a Minelab lickspittle and then doing a mic drop and shutting down an interesting conversation is pulling feathers out by the handful bud but I see your point and at the end of the day the world will continue to move round the sun regardless of any incorrect remarks or injustices we might perceive. I think in this case we are both right, I am a Minelab lickspittle and you my friend are a crotchety old grumble guts who leaps to the little guys defence at the drop of a hat and I love you like a brother for every bit of it. ❤️😆

F6CEA0E6-CBF0-4D5B-8ED0-F5B1A1209E43.thumb.jpeg.9ddb477fb655cc665d4d0161d6fd47f7.jpeg

Your good friend JP 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2