Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

On 9/24/2021 at 7:08 PM, NV-OR-ID-CAL-AU said:

IMHO

The Mono 9x14 and 6x10 would work well in most of my areas. Also a 6x10 DD would really fit into a need i see here in the localized heavy mineralized ground. Let me explain this better, we have a mix of soil types were I detect, some serpentine and some granite/rhyolites. The Mono coils is preferred and fit most needs here in the granite/rhyolite areas, but the Mono coils do tend to false on the serpentine bedrock here. Maybe the 6x10 DD would be a good match for the GPX6000 as it is already very sensitive with the 11” and the DD could maybe balance this sensitivity out with the 6x10 DD, maybe even match the 11” mono sensitivity for matching gold nuggets sizes and also being able to handle the hottest ground located here. We already have a 14” DD and it looses a little bit of sensitivity in comparison to the 11” Mono, so I probably would not purchase a elliptical DD option for that size if I could just use a 6x10 DD coil instead with better sensitivity. I am also curious on how sensitivity on a 6x10 Mono would handle the ground effects, hopefully it can still handle the ground effects and not be to overly sensitive. Don’t get me wrong as I would love to have a more sensitive coil as long as I do not get an overwhelming amount of annoying ground noise.

Coiltek,

Can you please let me know your thoughts on these assumptions since you are the experts here. Also can the weights of the coils be lowered at all using carbon fiber or other materials?

Trev,

I had a question, can a 6x10 DD coil be equally as sensitive as the 11” stock round. Please see the above quote for a better explanation of what would help in handling the ground effects in my area.

Thanks for any information.

Ron

What is the best Coil. When will people know that that it depends on the job that it has been selected for. (ie size of nugget targeted, the depth of that size nugget, the amount of ground that has to be covered to be payable (value or satisfaction), the amount of time being used, the person using it (ie Skill, strength or size of user), the shielding needed or type used.

Most  know that the smaller the coil the smaller or shallower the nuggets can be detected. The larger the coil the bigger and deeper the nuggets can be detected. Small coils can find big nuggets and large coils can find small nuggets it all depends on the depth and size of them at the location being used. The comparison of coils are more the about  Area of the coil not the diameter of the coil for a given design (ie mono,DD,DOD and Concentric).

So what does all this mean to Coiltek , Nuggetfinder, X-Coil and for that matter MineLab. is that a different coil is required for Me in Victoria and West Aust. a different one for Steve in different states in USA, a different one for JP in Queensland and WA and not leaving out NZ Phunt will require different ones too.

To sign off I use a coil in the Mono type elliptical about 14" by 8" the most and found the most gold with that range, however my larger Mono and DD coils have found more gold than "the normal coil" per hour but the hours used are very low and they are used for cleaning up not finding the gold locations.   

• Like 6

18 hours ago, goldenoldie said:

If you half the size of the windings in the 6000's 14DD, as you do to find what size mono it would be equivalent too, than that would be a 14" by 8" mono coil. 

If you selected Mono on the Older MineLab with a DD coil you will see what happens. The detector will pick up smaller nuggets easier switching back to DD if you lost the signal it was shallow but if you got a good signal it was at a good depth for the size of the nugget however if you swapped to a the same size Mono you would get deeper nuggets (in most ground) than the DD if the Mode switch can be used in that location. As I have said in my above post the rule of thumb is, the area of the same style coil will have the same amount of current driven by the same amount voltage (FET discharge). If the area is half the field is doubled. For a 14" coil (Area 196 sq inches) half that area is equivalent to a 10" coil (Area 100 sq inches) so if the target is close it will have twice the signal generated. If the signal received is small then the larger coil will not register on the detector. If the target is deep and large then the half strength field will generate a large enough signal for the detector to pick up the target. Another rule of thumb is for the size of target the coil is design for is related to the width of the coil of the same design.

In the early days of PI detectors Coiltek made a very small small 8" by 6" DD Elliptical coil. As the smaller coils are harder to use in hot ground the DD was very capable of finding Flysh!t nuggets that most coils had no hope of finding. Later on Nuggetfinder made a  similar size coil in mono ( Sadie) that was also deadly on small gold. The wife found the size and weight of both these coils was the best coils for her. In the worst ground the DD was best but in most grounds the mono was better for depth.

So to compare coils remember who (you) is using it, the nature of the nugget size, depth of ground and size and weight of the coil. I was going to say the manufacture and reliability, but this post was started by "COILTEK" and they are looking at alternative coils for your detector so give them a fair go when deciding your choice. Remember these guys make coil for a living and should be able to answer what is best for you if you work out what your requirements are.

I forgot to mention the speed that the coil is used at. The faster covers more area but slower gets more depth so go slow if using a large coil to get extreme depth on larger nuggets and the reverse if it has shallow gold spread wide and sparse.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Coiltek said:

Well this topic  for GPX6000 coils by Coiltek has gone off the rails a bit with other brands and detectors. anyway if you’re keen to find out more join our mailing list and keep an ear out. 
We do appreciate all the relevant coil comments and I for one am looking forward to getting these things out there! 

take care all Trev. 

64 replies and over 6000 views so far.... I'd not worry about the fine details Trevor. Best advertising dollars you'll spend this week! :smile: I'll take this opportunity to thank you for dropping by - your posts are always appreciated, and of great interest to forum members. Do make it more of a habit, as we all have extreme interest in anything you are making for any detectors. That 6x10 for Equinox, by the way, truly a superb effort, looks more like Minelab made than aftermarket - well done!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

But I definitely own the "crotchety old grumble guts" part. It's actually one of the few benefits of getting older. I've always been one to call it like I see it, and age removes what little reserve I had, perhaps not always for the best.

Well I hope you don't get into the Curmudgeon stage.  LOL

• Haha 3

Thanks CoilteK, Trevor, for responding and giving us a look into future coils for the 6000. I own several Coiltek coils for the 5000K and looking forward to coils for the 6000. Most of us look at this at this as a very positive development for our future with your company.  

• Like 4

Thanks SH and JP and all for the support. 
the 10x5 NOX certainly hit the mark for the detector and users of it. We are very pleased to see it so warmly received. 

Most of the weight for the coils comes from the winding wire then the plastics next, nothing we can do about the wire really as you need this of course. Plastics, we are investing in new mounding and are very excited about it  - can’t say too much more at this stage  

If the coil is potted with epoxy then this is extra again

Ron  about your query can the small elliptical size DD be as sensitive as the 11” round? I am guessing mono? 
for me I always see the smaller ellipticals like 10x5” have an edge on sensitivity to larger round coils but inherently mono coils are more sensitive than DD coils of the same size   

I’m looking forward to 2022! 
Trev

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1