Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

All due respect to Coiltek, I`ll have one of theirs but if we want bigger coils X coil might be the go 15 , 17, or bigger CC, said it before I`ll sacrifice my 14 for its chip no worries.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Norvic said:

All due respect to Coiltek, I`ll have one of theirs but if we want bigger coils X coil might be the go 15 , 17, or bigger CC, said it before I`ll sacrifice my 14 for its chip no worries.

I lived in hope that I would be able to buy off an Australian manufacturer but I guess minelab has bound them up, and we'll have to go source our larger coils off the Ruskie's.

Just to be clear my dissapointment lies with minelab and not either of the coil manufacturers.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Gold Hound said:

I lived in hope that I would be able to buy off an Australian manufacturer but I guess minelab has bound them up, and we'll have to go source our larger coils off the Ruskie's.

Just to be clear my dissapointment lies with minelab and not either of the coil manufacturers.

Aye definitely, the onus is not on our OZ coil manufacturers.

I wish the X Coils guys posted some update on the forum, I'm pretty curious what they think about wether or not the 6000 is suitable for flat windings, concentrics, etc and wether they can make some coils that have actual performance gains and not just size selections. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, BMc said:
Goldhawk.PNG.44e1a7f8cf51577afcf4e4f3055807ab.PNG

549 Australian Dollar equals
385.10 United States Dollars 
(Google format) insert amounts)
Due to supply and demand, all the traffic will bear, etc etc, I would expect the price to be at least slightly higher in the US. (presently advertised on internet at $401.00 (MSRP: $439.00)

14 hours ago, GotAU? said:

The 6k 17” Minelab elliptical is sensitive and not bad to handle, I like using that to cover ground quickly in the flats. Not bad for $360 US either.

So we’re expected to pay more for a small 10x5 than a large 17 ellip ??? 😳

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lunk said:

So we’re expected to pay more for a small 10x5 than a large 17 ellip ??? 😳

They'd have to pay ML for access rights to the chip, increasing the cost of aftermarket coils significantly.

Here in NZ to buy the Coiltek 15" Nox coil you had the pay half the price of a new Nox to get it, about $150 more than the 15" ML Coil.  Because of this very few people bought it. 

I don't blame the coil makers like Coiltek for this, it's the extra costs involved with them having to pay to use the chip and jump though these hoops to provide coils, sort of a licensing fee.  I'm just thankful they're able to make coils for it, we don't need another completely locked down detector and with the Nox the little 10x5" which was the more affordable of the range turned into a big success for three reasons, it's price was reasonable and it works well and it's a size people really wanted.

Minelab worked out they couldn't stop aftermarket coils, so they worked out a good way they can make money out out the aftermarket guys making them.  None of it is ever to the benefit of the end user.

For the 6000 for once I'm on the happy side as the aftermarket coils are sizes I like and prefer, this time it's the Aussies missing out as they mostly prefer the bigger sizes.  For the US users you'd think any of the small coils coming available along with the stock sizes would just about cover everything they'd need, perhaps a smaller DD would be handy too for high EMI and general use with 14" being a bit big, I'd love a little DD.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, phrunt said:

For the 6000 for once I'm on the happy side as the aftermarket coils are sizes I like and prefer, this time it's the Aussies missing out as they mostly prefer the bigger sizes.  For the US users you'd think any of the small coils coming available along with the stock sizes would just about cover everything they'd need, perhaps a smaller DD would be handy too for high EMI and general use with 14" being a bit big, I'd love a little DD.

Not selling your 6000 anymore then?

I see indications that the rigid control over coils and the range of sizes available is less about Minelab adding another revenue stream (how much can you actually make off a chip license compared to a new detector sale?) and more to ensure there is a solid delineation between detector models in performance, so as to ensure we'll always be eager for newer detector models at $6-10k rather than just buying much cheaper coils to enhance performance.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jasong said:

I see indications that the rigid control over coils and the range of sizes available is less about Minelab adding another revenue stream (how much can you actually make off a chip license compared to a new detector sale?) and more to ensure there is a solid delineation between detector models in performance, so as to ensure we'll always be eager for newer detector models at $6-10k rather than just buying much cheaper coils to enhance performance.

Not sure about selling it I'm pretty down on the whole thing, I've had a lot of people contact me saying I'm being too hasty giving up on it so quickly.   JW's going to try his 11" on mine and see if it improves once his 11" comes back from warranty, it's going to be some time and the service agent and ML have no stock of it and he's going to use mine and see what he thinks by comparison to his and see if it is acting how it should, I just seem to have an endless battle with EMI no matter where I use it, I'm constantly pressing the noise cancel button over and over again to try make it stable, more often than not it just makes it worse.  I was hoping by putting a smaller aftermarket coil on it then the EMI would improve, and also if my 11" has a problem this would resolve it.  It just sucks having a detector you've got no confidence in.    My Avantree Torus arrived yesterday and that will solve my speaker problem and the high pitched hiss in my headphones so that's a good start, I've quickly tested it and I can hear no high pitched hiss using it, so it's not the detector causing it, it's the dodgy headphones.  My ML80's also didn't have the high pitched hiss when connected to the 6000.

Mine works great with the 14" DD, perfectly in fact, I was for the first time happy with the detector when I put that coil on it.

At this point if I want it fixed it has to have a fault, I don't know if it does anymore, it appears to work, I can send it in and leave it with them for weeks and see if they fault it, they're just a camera repair store in NZ for the service agent and they haven't been a service agent for that long, do I have faith they'll find any problems with it? No.

You're probably right for their reasoning of locking down the coils like this, either way they win, they make money off each chip they sell and they get full control over what the aftermarket can make.  Gone are the good old days of the older GPX series and freedom of coil designs.  Those freedoms brought us some really good coils, various spirals and figure 8's and a wonderful range of shapes and sizes, one to suit everybody and their needs.

I love my Coiltek Joey and the 11' Coiltek AI coil.  Excellent coils.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jasong said:

That was my point I've used the 6k enough to know what it would be like with a larger coil. Minelab are obviously just protecting the sale's of their top priced model.

The detector handles the 17 elliptical just fine, but elliptical coils geometry limits their depth capacity even though they have a very similar surface area and susceptibility to EMI.

So I call B.S. in regards to the arguments of electronics not being suitable and noise limiting their performance.

Its simple physics, round coils are quieter than elliptical and larger diameter coils go deeper.

Elliptical coils are limited by the width of the narrowest part of the coil and also suffer from the uneven signal rx of their shape which also negatively affects edge of detection target depth considerably.

The 17in minelab coil is clearly designed for smaller gold and not depth as all elliptical coils should be due to the above. I've never been a fan of elliptical coils due to years of seeing the comparative results.

If I was able to get a 14in and 18in or 20in round coils for the 6k it would render my 7k obsolete, and I'm just talking monos here a well designed concentric would be a complete game changer in my opinion.

Hence my frustration at the current situation, and I can't swallow the invalid excuses put forward as to why...

Any way that's my final take on the situation. I suppose it leads me back to using Xcoils again.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1