Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

JP,

You have stated that " The GPX 6000 has the same outright depth on large targets as the GPX 5000 "

Surely, if this is the case, the 6K would benefit from an 18 or 25 round, just the same as the 5K benefited from the larger coils ??? Especially for those who can't afford a 6K and a ZED ?? Or would EMI make it unusable ?

IMHO, your statement that the 6K doesn't need big coils makes no sense, as there are still many places that have never had a coil over them, where deep gold may still sit !

Rick

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

JP ya can defend ML til the cows come home, but nothing changes, they are just very bad lads..................... even though they make magic detectors....

• Haha 2

I guess my question is  "what is considered a large target?" Is a US quarter a large target? Because the 11" and the 14" coil can not hit that target nearly as deep as a 12.5 DD coil can on the 5000. I have yet to dig anything close to 15 to 20"  range like the 5000 can. I can get 15" on a dime with the 5000. I can't hear a quarter at 10" with the 6000. So far for me, it does not go nearly as deep as the 5000. If anyone has any magic settings to get me even with the 5000, I'm all ears.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Guys, guys, guys ... push and pull with a little bit of self-interest and logic here when it comes to Minelab.  Help rather than attack.

What would happen if Minelab would just say 'to hell with it,' we can't satisfy those gold detectorists any more.  We're out of that business next year.  The users pushed too hard.  It just isn't any 'fun' making these any more.  Margins are scant.  Production overruns and quality control problems in a time of Covid are just too difficult.  We aren't going to make any more gold detectors because patches aren't giving it up like they once did.  We're changing our business model.  We are going to be like the dodo bird and White's electronics.

I don't have a horse in the 6000 race because I just don't detect often enough to justify a multi thousand outlay now.  Maybe in a few years when the boys get older but until then be a little bit nicer to Minelab and the dealers and we'll have them to kick around a bit longer.  Bashing has gotten us to where we are now.  Maybe some honest, constructive posting on the Minelab website will get us to where we think they should be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey MN, life is like a good beer best enjoyed when served chilled, tongue in cheek so to speak tis no sheep station and we who use ML detectors mostly believe they are the worlds best, we need ML aye we customers would miss em but they`d miss us as much as we are just an adorable mob yes/no. We`d also miss Coiltek whose thread this is.

• Haha 1

Fair enough.

On 5/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

Minelab bashing bitching second-guessing session which is fine if that’s what’s preferred

Certainly not preferred by me.  Appreciate your insights, knowledge and the fact that you do keep making public comment even though it often results in personal attacks.  I've learnt lots off this forum over the few years I have been here but yours and Steve's input is top notch and very few others' information can come from the point of view of a person that actually had a say in the design of the detector.  

On 5/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

close association in product development, BUT consider this I am often only ‘one-voice’ compared to the MANY!

By this I assume you mean that although you have input, you are only one person and Minelab do not always listen to your suggestions or feedback?   I would like to think that most of us here realise this and don't blame you for any specific short-comings of any particular detector.  And the same of Steve H.  

On 5/22/2022 at 3:47 PM, araratgold said:

your statement that the 6K doesn't need big coils makes no sense,

I can't see where he said this?  I take it that instead of using a GPX 6000 with a larger coil he would prefer to move to a GPZ 7000 instead.  He also makes the point that the aftermarket coils thus far announced "compliments what the GPX6000 does so much better than any other detector."   

My take is that a 20" round on the GPX6000 is not doing any better at seeking deep targets than can be achieved with a 5000 or a 7000 so there is no rush to make that size coil.  However, a 9" round on the GPX 6000, like the Coiltek Goldhawk, is likely to significantly outperform both the 5000 and the 7000.  For an aftermarket coil manufacturer surely it makes sense to start with coils that, when added to the machine, actually provide an advantage to what is already on offer via other machine/coil combos?

In all, I'm happy that the aftermarket guys are allowed to manufacture under licence and are coming out with a few different offerings, but they won't be in my Christmas stocking.   I like the DD on the GPX 6000 but it is unwieldy to use in anything but flatter, more open terrain.  With the supplied 11", my purchased 17" and a (fingers crossed) future release 6X10" DD, that would about keep me happy.  And maybe a 14" round for good measure...And the discussion of a concentric sounds interesting...And...does it ever stop  🤣

Cheers, N.E.   

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

The 6000 was never designed to outperform the GPX5000 for max depth, the technology is as good as the previous GPX machines but not better in that regard. I see little point in using a GPX6000 with a large coil attached when I can get better depth performance out of a GPZ7000 with the stock GPZ14 coil. 

(Emphasis mine)

The point for me is being able to get rid of the 7000, or at least reduce the cases in which it might need to be used. It's heavy, no fun to swing, and an $8000 purchase that I'd love to sell and recoup some costs from. That detector gave me permanent tennis elbow, I don't want to swing it any more than I have to. A major selling point of the 6000 is ease of use, and lightweight. Not to mention built for coil selection compared to the GPZ. Why wouldn't I want to swing the 6000 instead if I could use a few $400 coils to cut into the 7000's depth advantage? Of course that is going to be one of the first questions I want to ask and figure out. There is no need to get frustrated over people asking what should be expected questions, telling them they are guessing or bitching.

The simple fact for me, and I assume it's getting to be the same in Australia too, is that to pay for trips now in the US and maybe make some money on top, I have to still hit up the deep ground and look for the big pieces. 1/4 grammers are great leads to find patches, but they add up slowly. It's a necessity to start farming the 1/4+ oz'ers out after that to make the trip pay, a single 1 oz'er can pay for an entire season's gas (well, used to anyways). 

Even just getting 5000 depth performance on the 6000 with a few additional $400 coils would be sufficient reason for me to ditch the 7000. 

As usual, a lot of this could be solved by a little communication from Minelab. Are they about to release a new lightweight GPZ making this whole line of discussion moot? Or are we still years off? Are coil manufacturers in fact allowed to make any range of sizes and types (concentric, flat wound, etc) of coils for the 6000, or is Minelab limiting the types of coils that will be available as they did with the 7000?

It should be no mystery why people are asking what they are asking about 6000 coils. We always want to make the most out of what we have now, and get rid of the dead weight to recoup costs. I don't want to use the 7000 now any more than I wanted to keep using my 4500 after it was replaced, if there are cases it can be avoided.

• Like 9

Has it gone unnoticed that X-coils also only made small coils for the 6000?  Is it just assumed they didn't try make big coils?   They were not restricted in any way with their coils.  They are fully aware the bigger coils are their best sellers for the GPZ with I'd say the 17" round being the most popular size.

Out of interest how do people think large coils would go on the SDC 2300? Like a 17" round or even a 22" or something like that?

Just wondering......

I think Coiltek is making the coils they think will benefit the 6000 the most, so is NF while just making different sizes to Coiltek so they're not directly competing, that 10x5" Coiltek will likely be their best seller of their range I think.  I do wish they'd consider making DD coils though, the GPX needs more DD's, 14" isn't ideal for many people.  Their same range again in DD would be excellent.

Yes, they may not suit the hardcore Aussie prospector looking for big deep gold in Australia, lucky they still have their GPZ for that I guess but I think the expectations some have for the 6000 are more realistic for the GPZ 8000.  I don't think Minelab has said Hey Buddy, you're not making big coils for the GPX.  I do however think they said Hey Buddy you're not making small coils for the GPZ. 

It would be convenient not needing a GPX 4500/5000 or a 7000 and being able to just throw a big coil on the 6000, I certainly understand the desire I just wonder if the benefits of the big coil would be there as much as would be expected and Coiltek certainly wouldn't want to release a coil they know people are going to rename to the Dog 2.

I just think of the extra EMI and my brain hurts, not everyone has to deal with that though.