Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

25 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Mine has arrived now, haven't bothered to check it out yet, I'll leave it until Monday as I've got a busy few days of skiing ahead.  I am hoping to use it as a diagnostic tool to see if my stock 11" is faulty.  If this puppy performs better when it comes to going Geosense whacky that will pretty much confirm it.  Another two 6000 coils on order yet to give me a good range.  It's nice having a range of coils to choose from.

750804372_Coiltek14x9.jpg.3abad89908a5dd3ed471a2fc53c7218a.jpg

Initial impression before even using it, it's much more solidly built than the stock coil, you can push on the top of it and your finger not sink into it, it's not made out of recycled ice cream containers like the original coils.  I like it so far.

Ordered the 10 x 5 to try out in our tiny gold goldfields, will post results when I get it as well.  The  video by Au Downunder made the  14x9 look and sound good as well, looking forward to hearing about your results with it Simon.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

Bigger coil equals more EMI not less. 

Bigger coil equals less Sensitivity not more.

Bigger coil equals more Salt signal not less.  

Bigger coil equals more Weight not less. 

No doubt if you're unhappy with any of the above it'll be the 6000's fault.  🤷‍♂️

Thank you once again for your very insightful information.

I'm wanting to see if my detector runs more stable to check if my 11" is faulty, if it behaves the same or worse then that is useful for my diagnosis, if it runs better well that's when it becomes telling.   It's not like I'd be the first with a coil that sends the 6000 nuts.

I'm very aware of all that you've said, and I think you very well know that.

I'm not expecting it to be lighter, frankly I don't care about weight, when have I ever complained about something being heavy? I don't even use the harness for the GPZ for anything other than a speaker/sp01 mounting point.

Salt? yea, real worried about that here.

Sensitivity, I'm well aware, I saw how bad the 17x13" was when JW was forced to use it when his 11" was away on warranty replacement, I found a nugget with the 11" on my 6000 stuck in bedrock, he came over with his 17x13" and the thing couldn't even see it at all.  I'm not expecting the sensitivity I would get out of a little coil with it, which is why I've also got the two smaller NF's on order, they just keep getting delayed so I'm waiting patiently.

The 6000 only gets blamed when it deserves to be blamed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Ordered the 10 x 5 to try out in our tiny gold goldfields, will post results when I get it as well.  The  video by Au Downunder made the  14x9 look and sound good as well, looking forward to hearing about your results with it Simon.

Thanks, you'll be happy with the build quality.  I was considering the 10x5" but the other small sizes available from NF just suited me better, I may still get a 10x5 as well if I like this 14x9".    I look forward to firing it up on Monday when I get some free time.

30 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The 6000 only gets blamed when it deserves to be blamed.

Come on Phrunt get over it, move on, your like a violin stuck on an ever ending screech for what over a year now, long before you bought a 6K. Be positive sell the 6K, get one you like no one likes to be around negative people especially in our hobby, negative people get bugger all, just blame their tools, their backyard, the weather etc etc etc. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Norvic said:

Come on Phrunt get over it, move on, your like a violin stuck on an ever ending screech for what over a year now, long before you bought a 6K. Be positive sell the 6K, get one you like no one likes to be around negative people especially in our hobby, negative people get bugger all, just blame their tools, their backyard, the weather etc etc etc. 

I want to like it Norvic, that's why I'm buying coils for it.   If it turns out I've had a faulty coil causing me my problems and its resolved then problem solved! happy!  It runs really well with the DD coil.   I'll find out Monday!  I bought my 6000 in mid April this year, was quite positive about it before buying one, that's why I bought one.

• Like 1

I'm being told that the NF Xceed coils could be another 4 weeks away (or more)...... Patience is one of my virtues...but there IS a limit.  I'm now wondering if a Coiltek 10x5 would've been a better choice..... NAH 😉 

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

If it turns out I've had a faulty coil causing me my problems and its resolved then problem solved! happy!

I hope the coils the problem but if its not will you move on?

• Like 1

Yeah AU I have been told be a month + too, but the ML 11s still getting an odd scrap amongst the grass. I have not seen grass like this for 20 plus years up here in FNQ, tis challenging. Might have to sneak across the ditch and flog Phrunts while he`s skiing.

• Haha 2

I couldn't resist, Monday is now forecast to snow and no sign of improvement the next day so I took the detector for a spin tonight even though it was crazy windy.

Results are in, preliminary results anyway but looking very positive, I took the Coiltek 14x9" down to the river behind my house to get away from my house EMI, although there are big power lines down there I moved along the river about 500 meters to get away from them,  I turned the detector on, seemed pretty stable, did a noise cancel, nothing dramatically changed but it didn't overly need it anyway, unusual.  Swung it around for about 25 minutes just walking around by the river hitting likely junk targets (it was dark and starting to drizzle), all was fine, sat the detector down like I was recovering a target for a few minutes, remained reasonably stable and this is when it normally often goes wild when its sitting there doing nothing.   I didn't test sensitivity on targets or anything like that, my goal was just to see how it ran.  I put the 11" back on and the detector was whacky almost straight away, within 5 minutes I was noise cancelling, took 3 noise cancels and it came right again.  Put the 14x9" back on and it was fine.  Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.   It's quite possible I've had myself a problem with detector and coil!   I should have just sent the entire unit back at the start for replacement.  It normally goes wild every 5 to 15 minutes and I'm noise cancelling multiple times or doing a factory reset trying to fix it.

Very happy!   Looking good so far!   I really hope my woes are over!

Thank you Coiltek!

• Like 7