Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

Something doesn't make sense to me.

Geosense is something living inside the control box, not the coil. I don't get why just changing the coil would cause it to work better if Geosense was the problem? If so, it should be a problem with all 6000's then too, wouldn't it? They all have Geosense.

Either that or a good percentage of coils are actually bad and a lot of people just are so used to noise that they can't tell the difference between a stable and unstable detector, and that seems unlikely.

Mine does the same as yours - every 5-10 mins goes crazy. Does it even more frequently if I set it down to dig a target. But that's the same way basically every 6000 acts that other people own who I know too. Thing is - it's highly variable based on the location I'm using it. Sometimes I can't get it to go stable at all, ever. Other times it almost runs like a dream, then loses it only occasionally. That problem just doesn't seem coil based to me if it changes with location.

I'm confused here. It seems like there is either some large scale fault with the 6000 and/or it's 11" coils if these Coilteks make these problems go away. If so, Minelab should be seriously commenting and letting us know wtf and if it'll be fixed without us having to pay to correct it. Or, if there is no problem to fix, comment on why the heck an aftermarket coil seems to fix a problem but in fact it's not really fixing anything because there isn't actually a problem...? Even typing that makes no sense... Which is enough on it's own merit that I think Minelab should comment too to clarify. 

Well JP has said the NF has less EMI problems and runs more stable (correction, he was talking about the GPZ 17' NF coil).  The Coiltek's run great too.   Coiltek have said theirs are bundle wound, it's been alluded to the NF's are also bundle wound and looks like it by the photo of their larger coil that shows winding width in the plastic shape, the stock coil is semi spiral.  Perhaps that has something to do with it?   Why did both NF and Coiltek do bundle?  Both make fantastic spiral coils for the earlier GPX.  I always found bundle coils a bit more stable on the earlier GPX.

A majority of people have stock 11" coils that work perfectly fine though, so I just think mine was faulty.

• Thanks 1

Hmm. Major head scratcher to me. Something doesn't make sense here, I can't put my finger on it yet though. There is some puzzle piece missing. You may have it with the windings...hmm.

Well anyways, thanks for posting the results, very helpful. 

Simon and NedKelly posted Coiltek results on the page prior to this one - I didn't mean to flip the page here, people should check the actual results out on the previous page, rather than reading my rambling.

• Like 2

My Coiltek 10x5 Goldhawk coil arrived today.  I just got it installed on my ML GPX6000.  Its very light weight and even more compact now.  :biggrin:

I weighed the coil on my digital scale before I taped the coil cover on.  It weighed 578 grams.  A bit over the advertised weight, but on the machine itself, it feels quite light and nimble.  

I need to go visit some bedrock with this combo soon!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jasong said:

.Did you try JW's new 11" on your machine ever to see if it made a difference?

No, I've never tried any of JW's coils on my machine.  He's been out using his 6000 and doing great with it though, he makes me jealous 🙂

jw1.thumb.jpg.ead487a45513ae7c8a79a7e6643e27b7.jpg

jw2.thumb.jpg.9945ede2538da865f6d8e664035e89b7.jpg

jw3.thumb.jpg.f39e22695b7fb99895f63ffbf9fc506b.jpg

• Like 3

The shielding quality and effectiveness of different coil manufactures could explain some of the differences in EMI levels from different coils. 

Shielding must provide a critical balance between EMI, Ground effects and best overall detector performance.

Most coils are shielded with a conductive paint which varies in resistance by design and by quality control. 

Too low of a resistance paint applied incorrectly will reduce EMI as well as Detector performance.

Too high of a resistance paint will allow more EMI in and more ground noise.

Shielding method and materials used in the approximately three feet of transmit and receive leads is also important to preventing EMI problems. 

Some coils may have quality control problems during the manufacturing process.

As with many products performance reports from the users generally sorts out the better products. 

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 4

I am glad you got your detector working!  Thanks for posting the video.  When I listen to what you consider stable now is what mine normally sounds like with the 11”.  I always considered that normal as well.  Just FYI.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

I am glad you got your detector working!  Thanks for posting the video.  When I listen to what you consider stable now is what mine normally sounds like with the 11”.  I always considered that normal as well.  Just FYI.

Thanks yep, if your 11" sounds like that Coiltek that's great news to me as it means my detector is now considered stable!  If my 11" ran the same as the Coiltek I would have been happy.  Prior to the Coiltek it would run like that with the 11", but it wouldn't last long and would start to go crazy police siren crossed with alien spacecraft every 5 to 15 minutes, more realistically 1 to 10 minutes but the Coiltek just stays running like that.  I'm very happy I'm all sorted out now though, can't wait to go use it again.

I have had the police siren effect before too, but it was Outside EMI.  There was this one spot where i was detecting where it would always happen. 3-4 feet in any direction of it I was fine.

• Like 1

Yep normal EMI, I'm fine with that and expect it.

I'm so happy with the 14x9" I've ordered and paid for the 10x5" now too.  Still keeping my order for the 2 smaller NF's though.

• Like 3