Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

40 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Yep normal EMI, I'm fine with that and expect it.

I'm so happy with the 14x9" I've ordered and paid for the 10x5" now too.  Still keeping my order for the 2 smaller NF's though.

Simon, I ordered the 10x5 yesterday and should have it in a couple days, I talked to Rob yesterday and he was planning to test the 10x5 today in some monsoon impacted washes so I’d expect to see something from him soon, and I’ve yet to see a bad youtube report for all the concern it would be unstable packing all the windings in such a small space it seems it is not a problem, I but I doubt I’m adding anything you are on top of this much more than me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

Simon, I ordered the 10x5 yesterday and should have it in a couple days, I talked to Rob yesterday and he was planning to test the 10x5 today in some monsoon impacted washes so I’d expect to see something from him soon, and I’ve yet to see a bad youtube report for all the concern it would be unstable packing all the windings in such a small space it seems it is not a problem, I but I doubt I’m adding anything you are on top of this much more than me. 

If X-coils can make a 8" DOD GPZ coil then a 10x5" Mono should be all good 🙂  I'm looking forward to the 10x5", good all round prospecting size.  I look forward to hearing how you go with it too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chet said:

Most coils are shielded with a conductive paint which varies in resistance by design and by quality control. 

Too low of a resistance paint applied incorrectly will reduce EMI as well as Detector performance.

Too high of a resistance paint will allow more EMI in and more ground noise.

Shielding method and materials used in the approximately three feet of transmit and receive leads is also important to preventing EMI problems. 

Some coils may have quality control problems during the manufacturing process.

The variability in shielding materials and resistance measurements thereof makes ALL the difference. I suspected  (and said so) that the Asian company building the 6000 coils have zero clue what they're doing. Obviously not the Sth Korean company anymore....  The sweet spot for shielding resistance on previous ML PI coils was always 150-300 ohms per sq inch. I have field tested prototype coils that had shield resistance as high as 800 ohms with extremely low EMI effects but sensitivity was slightly reduced. A lack of, or under-length screen wire also affects the stability of the coil. Ive suspected all along that coil quality has affected the user-experience with the 6000 from day one. It clearly suggests that Coiltek and NF coils are correctly/perfectly shielded/screened because the noise emitted from a coil axis change is almost non existent on the aftermarket coils. 

Although Ive been 'lucky' to get a half-decent 11" mono with my 6000, any coil-axis change results in the whole detector becoming unstable enough to stop immediately and find a better, flatter surface to detect. This of course leaves large areas of undetected ground (such as mullock heaps, creek or gully banks etc). I'm certain that the aftermarket coils will provide a lot more gold for every 6000 user. 

As previously suggested, perhaps Minelab should be offering all 6000 users a free Coiltek or NF coil, considering that the supplied mono coil is almost not fit for purpose.....or in some cases, not fit at all. Supplying another 11" mono which is clearly not shielded enuff still, clearly hampers the amazing performance of this detector. Seems rather unfair that we have to pay more $$ to obtain a 'real' coil to make the 6000 function as intended.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Aureous said:

perhaps Minelab should be offering all 6000 users a free Coiltek or NF coil

Should we form an orderly line somewhere...?  😁

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

Well JP has said the NF has less EMI problems and runs more stable. 

No I didn't Simon,  you are cross pollinating two different subjects.  I was referring to the proto 17x13 Zsearch and have made no mention or comment so far on EMI stability RE Xceed and the GPX 6000.

There's a huge amount of speculation going on in this thread,  for starters none of the coil sizes are the same so unless you test like for like you are going to get things wrong.  

Well, I think I’m lucky then my 11” coil is not excessively noisy and I had a bad 17” that really was unusable. The 17 was fine the first or second time I used it then developed stability problems and extreme touch sensitive so I have some comparison to go by it sounded with anything it lightly touched. It exhibited its nasty ways as soon as the repair center tested it and was replaced very quickly, the customer service center was excellent in my case and I had my new coil in just a few days. Someday I may grow to like the 12DD but I have not needed it for where it is best suited making it the heavier coil I’m not that fond of.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

No I didn't Simon,  you are cross pollinating two different subjects.  I was referring to the proto 17x13 Zsearch and have made no mention or comment so far on EMI stability RE Xceed and the GPX 6000.

Ahh sorry JP, I mixed the two up!

1 hour ago, Northeast said:

Should we form an orderly line somewhere...?  😁

An orderly line.....to nowhere. Aint gonna happen of course. We're just the customers remember... 😉 

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Aureous said:

An orderly line.....to nowhere.

Yes, I know, but also love the thought of a freebie  😉

I should add 2 things. 

1)  I have had no issues with any of the the 3 GPX 6000 coils that I have except that a few people's comments about the EMI picking up when the 11" coil is 'off axis' has pricked up my ears as I do find this happens with mine.  Aureous's comments about working the coil on angles does ring true with some of my experiences.  I simply thought this was part and parcel of a very sensitive detector.  

2) Due to the 'off axis' comments I wonder if a non-ML coil might improve things in this area and even allow higher Sensitivity settings.   If that can be done, then I suppose it is a question of what is different in the build between the coils.  The shielding, the type of winding, something not yet mentioned?   

Given it is only a potential improvement for me, I won't be racing out to purchase one of the non-ML's as what I have is still  serving me well.  Will be watching with interest though.   Especially waiting for news on an approx 6" X 10" DD coil. Coiltek?  

• Like 5