Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

NE, Ive now heard direct from 4 sources that both the NF 12x7, the Coiltek 9" and 14x9 ALL have superior 'axis handling' ability. Plus general noise reduction of course. Says volumes about the 11" mono shielding methinks....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Northeast said:

Yes, I know, but also love the thought of a freebie  😉

I should add 2 things. 

1)  I have had no issues with any of the the 3 GPX 6000 coils that I have except that a few people's comments about the EMI picking up when the 11" coil is 'off axis' has pricked up my ears as I do find this happens with mine.  Aureous's comments about working the coil on angles does ring true with some of my experiences.  I simply thought this was part and parcel of a very sensitive detector.  

2) Due to the 'off axis' comments I wonder if a non-ML coil might improve things in this area and even allow higher Sensitivity settings.   If that can be done, then I suppose it is a question of what is different in the build between the coils.  The shielding, the type of winding, something not yet mentioned?   

Given it is only a potential improvement for me, I won't be racing out to purchase one of the non-ML's as what I have is still  serving me well.  Will be watching with interest though.   Especially waiting for news on an approx 6" X 10" DD coil. Coiltek?  

I am here too.  Did not realize the off axis might be a coil issue and thought it was just picking up errant emi.  

What I don’t want to lose is sensitivity or depth compared to the 11”.  Anyone do any good ole comparison tests yet?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, afreakofnature said:

I am here too.  Did not realize the off axis might be a coil issue and thought it was just picking up errant emi.  

What I don’t want to lose is sensitivity or depth compared to the 11”.  Anyone do any good ole comparison tests yet?

I haven't spent a lot of time testing but initial impression is the 11" is a bit more sensitive to smaller gold than the 14x9" Coiltek, however the Coiltek seems to have a bit more depth on larger targets, this is very preliminary and not set it stone, just initial basic testing.  Where I think the aftermarket coils are going to shine on smaller gold over the 11" is the smaller coils, I'll have my 10x5" in a day or two so I'll start to see then.  The 11" really is a good coil when it comes to sensitivity, I'd be extremely happy with it if it just worked well for me so I'll send it in to get checked now that I am of firm belief mine is faulty, I'm not sure about this Axis stuff, but in saying that I've had no trouble swinging the 14x9" round and going up and down slopes and lifting it in the air tilting it and all things that caused my 11" grief, I can swing it around in the air and not have it go crazy, but I do believe I've got a faulty 11" so that maybe different for others.  

All of the manufacturers have been very careful to make different size coils to each other and for very good reason, comparisons are going to be impossible and I'm sure it was planned to release different sizes to each other on purpose, so you just have to focus on the coil size/shape/performance to suit your needs.

For me I'm happy with the sizes available, they really suit the strong points of the detector and I'm glad both Coiltek and NF are making coils for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am astounded that the Axis effect is not noticeable to some people. It took me less than 30 seconds of use to see it. Erratic noise doubles or triples.....return to a flat axis and the noise ceases. The 14DD coil wont have this problem of course because the EMI effect is negated. Perhaps those users who have crap 11" monos dont see it coz there is always so much noise to begin with?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Who's not noticing it, the dead? Haha

Ya, off axis, or any inclination other than flat, and its definitely a wild song she sings! 

Looking forward to using the Coilteks if they remedy this, as I really like the 6000 otherwise!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hey All, just thought I would say a big thanks to all who have purchased and used the coils so far and enjoying their abilities. It looks like the coils are certainly kicking some goals.

The coils are designed to provide different options for your detecting and compliment the already brilliant GPX6000. To hear they are running very stable and sensitive is just what we planned for and all three sizes are proving their capabilities.

Phrunt - I am glad the coil has helped your unit and I am sure the 10x5" will be dynamite on the small stuff for you. Thank you for the support.

From my experience over the years most detectors and coils will be somewhat noisier when tilted on their side as they are seeing more interference especially when no ground is under the coil (i.e: tilting on a flat surface when compared to running up the side of a creek bank). It doesn't necessarily mean the coil is faulty - if the coil is behaving poorly when in a normal orientation then this could indicate a shield issue. 

Enjoy your days - Trev

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

27 minutes ago, Coiltek said:

Phrunt - I am glad the coil has helped your unit and I am sure the 10x5" will be dynamite on the small stuff for you. Thank you for the support.

Thank you Trevor, I'm incredibly happy I bought the 14x9" and I couldn't help but contact Dan quickly to order the 10x5" after experiencing the 14x9" before he sold out no matter how hard I tried to resist 🙂   Thank you for making your coils, I've always thought Coiltek make great coils, love the 10x5" Nox coil too and realistically I've never been disappointed with a Coiltek coil, I have quite a few of them, particular favourites are the 11" AI coil for the legacy GPX and also the little Joey 10x5' for the legacy GPX, both brilliant coils.  I also appreciate you communicate with your customers.

The 6000 coils are looking like they're going to be a very welcome addition to anyone's toolkit.   I want to reiterate that I appreciate that Coiltek made coils for the 6000, I'm sure others will appreciate that as much as I do once they give them a go.   It's very likely I'll end up with the 9" too to complete the set, I do hope you'll end up producing a smaller DD, I'm sure many will agree with me it really needs to be happen, I'll commit to buying it now if you'll commit to making it 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most of the talk has been about coil shapes and sizes...the excitement reminds me of kids ordering ice cream in a store....I’d like to know more about how they are built compared to your competitors? NF goes into a little detail about their construction methods on their web site...I could not find much on yours...What are the components that go into the build quality of your coils? From out side to inside. 

Strick 

• Like 5