Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

51 minutes ago, phrunt said:

1554951344_Controlbox.thumb.jpg.fe185dc8c09e79d1ef51f66341123c63.jpg

See the shielding paint inside, I assume they connect it to a floating ground.

Thanks for posting it.  Guess we should wrap the whole thing in aluminum foil. In addition to ice cream cover coil protective tape and shaft spin locking o-rings, there’s another receipt to submit to ML for reimbursement! 😁

• Haha 4

I tried a no cell reception place today and it was fairly quiet on the 6000, definitely leaning toward the EMI being a tower issue, maybe some equipment specifically used in remote locations, or older outdated equipment, or higher power maybe for longer range in sparsely populated areas? 

The control box shielding definitely sucks - out of curiosity I put my phone switched off next to the box and it interfered even when off. Yes, an off phone interferes with the box...not even the coil...that ain't good. Worse on the left side than the right. S22 phone if anyone wants to repeat the experiment and see just how poorly shielded the control box is. Sorry but IMO this detector is built like a toy in some respects, like what I'd expect out of a kids walkie talkie. I'm not saying that to dog it, I'm saying that as an observation, this is what I'd expect out of an Ace250 level machine. 

The EMI is worse on the ground. Which makes me think there is some grounded antenna  or coupling effect to the control box going on. I dunno, I'm not a ham, antennas aren't in my wheelhouse. But something is happening on the ground to make it worse.

• Thanks 1

I'm over it. I got this Coiltek in hopes that it would fix the issue, or to at least let me see if there was a problem with my coil or detector so I could either send it for repair if there was an issue or sell it without feeling like I'm ripping someone off. But I am confident it's nothing particular to my machine or coil now, so I'm just going to sell it and get an Axiom when they are released, as I originally planned. Anyone looking for a 6000 with 2 batteries, 17" (new), 11" monos, 14" DD (new minus a brief EMI test), and a 9" Goldhawk, PM me, I'll be putting it on Ebay for $4400 once the Axiom comes out, but will sell cheaper here. 

Anyways, didn't mean to hijack the Coiltek thread with yet more 6000 issues.

The 9" round actually runs just fine when I get the machine away from whatever is causing the EMI. It's about on par with the 11", it definitely cut down on the times the detector lost total stability too. For people who are just having a bit too much EMI, it's probably a good upgrade. But in cases where the EMI is just driving the 6000 totally crazy, always, it's not a magic bullet. 

I continue to have minor issues with this coil falsing/bump sensitivity though, that's about my only complaint specific to the coil itself. It seems to happen more when the 6000 is on the verge of getting overwhelmed with too much input. It's not coming from the cable or connectors either.

Finds the gold just fine though in places the 6000 decides to work. Most of this came from jamming the coil under sage brush today. 

image.thumb.png.a24b35689a859a7aebe8f9083700e745.png

• Like 3

Jason do you have " Single Wire Earth Return " (SWER) Power Lines in your area They were used in remote areas here in Victoria Aus. to distribute house and farm power, if so that could be your problem.

• Like 1

It does seem it is used in the USA.

He’s in Colorado- lots of secret defense related sites and infrastructure is located there, perhaps he’s getting some interference from something like that? Especially as he said it happened in various places and not others, maybe from going in and around valleys and hills created various signal shadows.  It would have been difficult for Minelab to anticipate all the different types of EMI the detector would be encountering during testing, but I’d think adequate internal shielding should have taken care of all that.

• Like 1

In the field right now, will respond when I get back in tonight. Weird, I deleted some messages to free up space a bit ago. I'll have to delete more again sometime. 

1 hour ago, GR Guy said:

A couple of hours in soggy ground with the 9” Goldhawk.

https://youtu.be/ONfuL6qFUww

Is that your camera or phone creating the EMI we hear? Seems whenever you move about, it gets worse...Plus, where do you get those 3D printed mini pans from??? :biggrin: