Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

I said I'd post this a while ago but forgot, and this is why I think having a pressure vent on coils is important, to Aussies it probably means less as they're in a big land of flatness but to countries with altitude it's pretty important.   It's good to hear Coiltek have a vent, although I'm yet to find it, it's very obvious on other brands like the original Minelab GPZ coils, Nugget Finder coils and X-coils but I certainly can't for the life of me find it on the Coiltek Goldhawks.  It's advertised as having it and said to be under the skid plate, odd location to put it seeing a lot of people tape their skid plate on, in fact I have to tape my 10x5" Goldhawk skid plate on or it falls off in a few minutes.

chips.jpg.d5c44b3ace52793286b2a84fd2a6054d.jpg

This is what happens to a regular packet of corn chips in higher altitudes, I specifically didn't open this packet before heading uphill so I could show what happens, it happens to my chips all the time if I go up a bit higher than low level ground, they're a bugger to open when they're like that, they make a big explosive pop when you open them too 🙂 I usually open the packet before going up higher so it doesn't happen.  We also have to be careful with other food items that may pop or explode, especially liquids.

I can't imagine having pressure like that inside a sealed coil would be a good thing.

If someone can show where this elusive vent is on the Gold Hawks that'd be appreciated as I sure can't find it on either my 14x9" or 10x5".

• Like 1

Hey Phrunt. 

The hole for the pressure vent is on the base and will be hidden by the skid plate when fitted. If you remove the skid and look around the perimeter of the base you will see a 1mm hole - this is the vent. On the inside of the base we place a small pad which is IP rated for dust and water ingress and allows air to pass through - its the same pad as what Minelab use on their GPX6000 coils.

If you do tape on the coil it should pose too much of an issue as most tapes are porous to a degree. if you are in doubt though you can make a small cut in the tape close to where the vent hole is to assist.

Trev

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Coiltek said:

The hole for the pressure vent is on the base and will be hidden by the skid plate when fitted

Awesome thanks Trev for your super quick informative answer.  Appreciate it.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very impressed with my GPX 6000 Coiltek Goldhawk coil. It is doing very well here in the Sonoran Desert in Arizona. 

• Like 5

Same downunder here. I am happy as with the Goldhawk I have, consider it has more depth and sensitivity whilst being quieter than the OEM.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Norvic said:

Same downunder here. I am happy as with the Goldhawk I have, consider it has more depth and sensitivity whilst being quieter than the OEM.

Which one?

On 3/7/2023 at 7:11 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

Very impressed with my GPX 6000 Coiltek Goldhawk coil. It is doing very well here in the Sonoran Desert in Arizona. 

Jeff, where are you at in AZ.? Maybe we can meet while I'm in Q 19 - 22 March?

Bill

• Like 2