Coiltek Coils For The GPX 6000 - Confirmed!

Coiltek

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

It's quite possible I've had myself a problem with detector and coil!   I should have just sent the entire unit back at the start for replacement.  It normally goes wild every 5 to 15 minutes and I'm noise cancelling multiple times or doing a factory reset trying to fix it.

Very happy!   Looking good so far!   I really hope my woes are over!

Thank you Coiltek!

Wait, what?

It sounds like a coil problem but you say your testing shows both detector and coil problem?  Not understanding, you might have miss spoke in your above post?

Interesting. Almost tempted to buy a coil to see if it'll fix my 6000 stability. I really don't want to throw more money at it if I'm selling to buy an Axiom though. 

Were you running with the speaker or headphones?

If it's seriously a coil problem and that simple then Minelab should be giving people coils, not making them buy them to fix a factory problem. Interested to see if it's just you, or everyone's stability improves with a new coil.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jasong said:

Interesting. Almost tempted to buy a coil to see if it'll fix my 6000 stability. I really don't want to throw more money at it if I'm selling to buy an Axiom though. 

Were you running with the speaker or headphones?

If it's seriously a coil problem and that simple then Minelab should be giving people coils, not making them buy them to fix a factory problem. Interested to see if it's just you, or everyone's stability improves with a new coil.

I just got my machine back from the shop. They were unable to duplicate the problems I had described to them..touch sensitivity, pressure sensitivity, running erratic at every setting etc...this was not every time I used it but probably 50% of the time...so they replaced the 11” coil “out of precaution”. Well see where this goes. I would love to use this machine but won’t be spending any more money on it till I find out if the aftermarket coils work...the guy in the vid had his machine running really well it seemed. Thanks for the up date Simon

strick 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Wait, what?

It sounds like a coil problem but you say your testing shows both detector and coil problem?  Not understanding, you might have miss spoke in your above post?

When I first opened it from the box the detector didn't turn on, and when it did it mostly had an error and locked up.   Sorted that but then I just always felt something else was wrong, JW likes his 6000 although still uses both as he prefers the GPZ for depth, he does struggle with EMI more so than with the GPZ, but that's a PI for you he hasn't had the difficulties I have had to the extent I do.  

I was running with my snap crackle and pop Tourus neck speaker, I didn't want to push my luck with the built in speaker.

I couldn't understand why he likes his and I really didn't like mine., I just thought I was more fussy about instability than he was about it as I always prefer stable detectors and he doesn't overly care, Steve's insanely wild GPZ settings to him were not insanely wild at all so I just blamed myself thinking I just don't like the detector.  We swapped detectors for me to try his out but as we did it on an afternoon we just went to the local spot that's right near an airport and has power lines run through it as its close to his house and its a little area and I didn't think his was any better but at the time I had to use his 17x13" as his 11" was away for warranty as it completely died so from there I was blaming the detector in general.  I ended up just handing his back to him about 5-10 minutes after getting it saying it's no better.  He had mine running with a stable enough threshold after doing a factory reset and a few noise cancels or something so I just thought that's how life with a 6000 is and I don't think I've used it since and that was shortly after getting it.

For anyone that thinks they may have a problem, it might not be in their head, I'd suggest trying someone else's coil before buying one just in case.  I could have just sent it away and waited to see if the service center would find a problem but they're just a camera shop and how much experience would they have with fixing or diagnosing a GPX in this country? likely next to none where very few have ever been sold.  I can't just drive to my dealer or the service agent as they're both a 7 hour drive away each way.

Anyway, early days so far with the Coiltek, it's had about half an hours use, but for the first time other than when I had the DD coil on I felt OK using the machine, it wasn't driving me crazy.  I really hope my problems are now solved and so far I of course think the Coiltek coil is fantastic.

• Like 1

I think my Coiltek 10x5 is on its way to me now.  I hope to try it out sometime this next week.  I'll try to give a report on it and let you all know what I think.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I could have just sent it away and waited to see if the service center would find a problem but they're just a camera shop and how much experience would they have with fixing or diagnosing a GPX in this country? likely next to none where very few have ever been sold.

So you won’t return it to a service centre because they’re a camera shop and therefore don’t know as much as you? A service centre set up by Minelab? Instead you would rather perpetually mention your perceived detector problems in every post you write on this forum and somehow that is going to get your undiagnosed detector fixed. 

There are a few things you can do to self diagnose, one is to swap coils with a mate (you’re lucky you have a mate who has a 6000), second try the other supplied coil, both these things help pinpoint where the issue lies (either coil or control box or even both). Try to find an area with minimal EMI, that sounds like a very hard thing to do in your country but that also points to the 6000 not being a good choice of machine for your chosen areas as it is well documented it does not like EMI and also explains the DD coil.

All that delicious sensitivity and depth comes at a price unfortunately, but hey I have high Voltage power lines running through my areas here in Clermont and I have no issues with bad EMI unless I stray too close. As has been mentioned many times on this forum it is best to NOT use the inbuilt speaker (for a variety of reasons), if the inbuilt speaker is warbling away yet not a real problem with headphones then send the control box back for service/warranty.

The original issue sounded like a battery seating problem so looking back through the benefit of hind site you should have returned your whole detector and let the supplier and Minelab deal with it. I think you mentioned you’d loaned your mates coil or him yours, but can’t recall which orientation so there is some potential information from that quarter (his coil on your machine). 

Lastly you have a toothache mate, go to a dentist its the only way to ACTUALLY deal with the ache/problem, if you have a good dealer he/she will go into bat for you and help you get the issues resolved which is then going to help you no end with your confidence.

If after all that you’re still not happy as Steve has said here somewhere, “maybe the 6000 is just not for you”, thats OK too.

JP

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Finally got to test new 9"round coil , 2 hours later and a nice little speci. Wow what a difference the coil makes. I've never been able to run on anything more than lowest sensitivity and difficult. Now can run full sensitivity,  but found about 3 o'clock position better. Still haven't tried normal. I'm with you on this phrunt,  I think I may of had a dodgy coil all along. Although found about 5 Oz in the 12 months I've had the 6000 and standard 11" coil . Completely different machine now. About to change to 14 ×9" and give it a run.

20220807_103452.thumb.jpg.6155f8615d7fa6f38682d1b57bc99594.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the results guys. Keep 'em coming.

Man, almost tempted to just keep the 6000 and ax the Axiom purchase if the 6k becomes totally usable with a $400 aftermarket coil. That stability problem is far and away the main reason I want to ditch it. On the other hand, don't want to spend another $400 on something that doesn't help too. Wish someone with another 11" or Coiltek lived anywhere less than a full day's drive from me so I could see... Can't really stop mid-season and waste a month with a detector in the shop either. No good solutions that aren't going to lose me a big part of the summer season or another chunk of wasted change.

So strange though. Why would simply changing coils solve the problem? Simon, like your 6k, mine just randomly goes unstable constantly, even when sitting and not moving. Every 6k I've been around does it to some degree. How does a different coil solve that? I don't get it. Did you try JW's new 11" on your machine ever to see if it made a difference?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jasong said:

So strange though. Why would simply changing coils solve the problem? Simon, like your 6k, mine just randomly goes unstable constantly, even when sitting and not moving. How does a different coil solve that? I don't get it.

I have no idea, I blamed it on Geosense going crazy, I couldn't last 5 to 10 minutes with my 11" without having to battle it going mental.  Sometimes it was doing it straight away, and oddly it does it almost all the time if I sit the detector down doing nothing.  I think that's why it's caused so much conflict as the behavior I was seeing is what people with a good coil see sometimes, I was seeing it all the time.   The bad coil must confuse Geosense or something.  The weird thing is the Coil when it wanted to work was good, very sensitive.  It was just a battle to keep it stable. 

I'll send mine in now to be checked but I really can't imagine the service agent is going to drive an hour out of the city their shops in to to get to an EMI free enough environment to test it, they'll do standard service agent too hard basket stuff, Sorry we were unable to fault your coil however we've replaced it as a precaution 🙂 I've served my time in the service center environment, I know how it works.   By doing that they're not taking responsibility for a faulty product, but are swapping it out as they know it will likely solve the problem.    I doubt I'll ever use it again anyway, I'm going to be sticking to the small coils on mine.  I only bought the 14x9" as I wanted the two smaller NF's as I like their sizes best and the 14x9" seemed a good size to get for the bigger size and it was out on the market first, now I'm very glad I bought it, pleasantly surprised by it.

I really think you need to find someone to use their coil for a bit and just see if it solves it for you too.