Raw Sapphire?

Gem

If it is, it's definitely not gem quality. What's it look like dry?

Jim

9 minutes ago, Jim in Idaho said:

If it is, it's definitely not gem quality. What's it look like dry?

Jim

Yes I think it needs some polishing. But i think all rough uncut sapphires looks like this 20210919_234812.jpg.0b22999de4386ea964031e9c996d72b3.jpg20210919_235109.jpg.7cdd4bf1972b533cb0c62aed2202b443.jpg

Looks like quarts but i'm no expert. Just seen similar stones in my area where we have a lot of quarts.

• Like 1

Your specimen. They could very well be sapphires but in particular the top left one doesn't look like the samples.

I just see a lot of speckles in them so hard to really tell.

Chris Ralph did a set of videos worth watching, very interesting. May help in finding out.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kac said:

Your specimen. They could very well be sapphires but in particular the top left one doesn't look like the samples.

I just see a lot of speckles in them so hard to really tell.

Chris Ralph did a set of videos worth watching, very interesting. May help in finding out.

Iam not sure which sample you are talking about? 

The dark gray with a slight blueish tint and the tiny black inclusions are very characteristic of some industrial grade corundum.

I would not be able to say your original photographed specimen is a sapphire (even if it is corundum)due to its poor quality.

What I don’t see is any remaining crystal faces or any very characteristic basal parting. Corundum variety Sapphire is so hard that there are usually some remnants of its crystal faces and parting in most specimens. Instead I see a water worn, conchoidal fractured specimen with no hint of worn flat sides, with cracks running in several directions that do not exhibit basal or rhombic parting.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The dark gray with a slight blueish tint and the tiny black inclusions are very characteristic of some industrial grade corundum.

I would not be able to say your original photographed specimen is a sapphire (even if it is corundum)due to its poor quality.

What I don’t see is any remaining crystal faces or any very characteristic basal parting. Corundum variety Sapphire is so hard that there are usually some remnants of its crystal faces and parting in most specimens. Instead I see a water worn, conchoidal fractured specimen with no hint of worn flat sides, with cracks running in several directions that do not exhibit basal or rhombic parting.

Yes iam understanding what you are trying to say. I have recently checked that it was more harder than quartz  and porclain/ceramic tile. I think it is a very low quality sapphire because it does not have any cleavage.