Raw Sapphire?

Gem

The amount of inclusions and their size is one factor. Star sapphires have very tiny inclusions which are not visible to the naked eye. The ones in your specimen are very large. 
The gray color and very opaque condition is another factor. 

As you can see in the photo above, the basal and rhombic parting is clearly visible along with color zoning. Your specimen is too opaque to see those characteristics if they are present. 

If you want to perform a hardness test your easiest option is to try and scratch your specimen with a piece of known quartz. Quartz will scratch quartz. Quartz will not scratch corundum. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The amount of inclusions and their size is one factor. Star sapphires have very tiny inclusions which are not visible to the naked eye. The ones in your specimen are very large. 

As you can see in the photo above, the basal and rhombic parting is clearly visible along with color zoning. Your specimen is too opaque to see those characteristics if they are present. 

If you want to perform a hardness test your easiest option is to try and scratch your specimen with a piece of known quartz. Quartz will scratch quartz. Quartz will not scratch corundum. 

And I think another test is heating test. If this stone breaks in 10 minutes after constant heating on high temperatures then it would not be a sapphire. Anyways I will try both methods.

16322377278606836992445959689698.thumb.jpg.2e76dbe584de23a6fc82f3881f316249.jpg

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

So this is what I get. Now I don't know if quartz have actually scratched its surface or it is quartz powder.

Are there any universities near you where they could confirm? Would be really cool if it was sapphire.

• Like 1