My First Ring

1 hour ago, kac said:

Very cool. So is that both platinum and 18k gold?

I know zero about jewelry!

I am, however, a hoarder of scrap silver. I know that 950 silver is rare in the US and UK, but more common in Europe and Mexico. Since I found the ring near a soccer field in a mostly Central American neighborhood, I assume it is silver/gold and not platinum/gold.

• Like 1

950 is usually a platinum mark. 925 is 92.5% silver and highest mark used. 18k refers to gold.

So having 950 and 18k (high end gold) suggests the ring is 2 tone where some is platinum and some is gold. Would be a high end ring worthy of an appraisal if you were to sell it. Don't go to a gold or pawn shop as they only give you scrap value and often less than that.

For safer keeping give it to your wife and you can get extended search time 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

950 Silver

Silver of 95 percent purity is relatively rare because it is a nonstandard alloy. Technically it is not fine silver because it falls considerably below 99.9 percent fineness. This means it is sterling silver, but more pure than most sterling silver. 950 silver will be softer than most sterling silver and will tarnish more easily. This means it is unlikely to be used in most industrial applications. Most 950 silver is used for jewelry. .. (from the internet.)

Platinum usually will have some other mark ie. P, or Plat or be set in a house symbol .. 950 silver will stand alone with just the number 950 or be inside an oval .. much of the 950 silver used in jewelry comes from places other than the U.S. ,Mexico for example uses a lot of 950 silver in rings.

• Like 4