Used CTX 3030 Issue

Dirtfisher

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

I hope you've fixed it, must be some weird sand to cause that. 

Yea I can dump out about 2 tablespoons of black sand from my coil cover regularly at the end of some of my beach hunts here on the delta and no problems with the machine acting up. Hope it's fixed as well.

strick

• Like 3

DirtFisher,  Hopefully the CTX 3030 issues are behind you now and you can think positive about the detector.  $1500 for a used one with extra 6" coil and battery is a pretty decent deal, especially if it's the never version CTX 3030 with better seals.  From experience I can tell you the old version 3030 has quite a bit of leaking issues, so do your so diligence when detecting in water.  

Yes, I too feel a 3030 a little better than my NOX for deep silver and deep gold rings (I've pulled some 12 to 16" deep coins and jewelry).  I also like the tones on the 3030 better than the NOX.  But as soon as I get in heavy trash areas and or decide to hunt for micro gold jewelry and or chasing gold nuggets, the NOX all the way to the bank.

If you do decide to sell the GPZ-7000 or trade it towards something different (GPX-6000), reach out to me and maybe we can work a deal.  

Deepest silver coins and gold rings, as mentioned I prefer the FBS technology (1st pic) and prospecting (2nd pic) I'll grab the Multi IQ as the FBS does not see this and many other kinds of gold.

The bottom line of any detector is to learn it's capabilities and what it does best at.  I also recommend never try to use it for a task you know it doesn't do well (usually wasting your time/energy).  Have faith and confidence in your detector and your own abilities.  As Simon said, "get the best one for that task".

Either direction you lean for the detector choice, be sure to think positive each time you go.

215.jpg

B-S3.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks,

Went out last night with the CTX 3030 and found four coins and a woman's ring with a few small diamonds. Could be fake have to clean it up. I only hunted for about 45mins until it got dark. I'm liking the CTX!

Sold the GPZ 7000 with the 19 inch coil yesterday. I will take $400 of the proceeds and pick up a 17 inch coil for the Ctx 3030. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

From experience I can tell you the old version 3030 has quite a bit of leaking issues, so do your so diligence when detecting in water. 

Gerry, what are your thoughts on the grey seal upgrade kits for the older 3030's, I've seen them around on sale for cheap prices, would this resolve his leaking issues if it's an older model? 

• Like 1

My 3030 leaked a lot. I lost 3 rechargeable batteries with it and I finally had the machine rebuilt so that I could use it. I have not tried it since I got it back. I just don't trust that little gasket design on it. I would have at least done some kind a 2 gasket design to maybe saved a couple of drownings. My personal opinion is that a gasket change isn't going to solve that issue. Mine leaked when I laid the machine down near the water's edge. The waves crashing into it made it leak.

• Oh my! 1

I also had a water hunt kill one my 3030's but it was not due to to the leaky o ring..the head/control box is what went out. repaired under warranty. I've been using the Grey seals even with my newer machine. No problems yet but I would not trust the machine for extended deep water hunts. I change the gasket the beginning of every summer. Don't be afraid to use it in the water especially if its under warranty your gonna want to know if you got a leaker!

strick

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

That is a shame to hear how bad the CTX can be in the water, I've not used mine in the water and never intend to, it's the new model with the gray washers obviously but now I just don't trust it.  I can't be bothered dealing with warranty if it drowns.  I'm not a big water person anyway and I can use the Nox for that when I do want to get a detector wet as I know my Nox handles water well, it spent two days and two nights in the bottom of my Spa being tested for leaks when I first heard about Nox leaks 🙂

• Like 3

19 hours ago, phrunt said:

Gerry, what are your thoughts on the grey seal upgrade kits for the older 3030's, I've seen them around on sale for cheap prices, would this resolve his leaking issues if it's an older model? 

It does help and we get less issues with water entering the detector.   Good luck.

• Like 2