Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

Skookum

Creature encounters  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been stung by a scorpion?

• No, thank you.
    • Yes, while prospecting!
    • Yes, but not prospecting.
  2. 2. Have you ever had a close encounter with one of the following while detecting?

Fortunately we don't have any of those critters and creatures here so I have little to worry about prospecting other than losing my scoop 😉

They're some tiny little nuggets you've got there.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

They're some tiny little nuggets you've got there.

Unfortunately, they are not. I couldn’t scoop up the crawly without also getting some sand. Today was only one sub-grain piece, but a lovely day. 

• Like 3

Cute little guy!🦂👍👍

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Cute little guy!

Just get another dozen, cut the tip of the tails off, have hot pan with butter in it and cook until done.

Crunchy and good.

• Like 1

Not much here on that list , black bears but I've only seen them at the dump and that was 150 miles north of my 20 and I wasn't detecting. Just went to the dump to see the bears !

Mtn Lions are around and some have seen one but they keep away from "hoomins".

Now the ticks , those are everywhere and I have picked off a couple from time to time.

The deadliest beast in my neck of the woods is the moose , NO they won't bite. But if you hit one with a car or truck ,it just takes out their legs and their body lands on top of you ...all 1500# or so ......not pretty. Seen a lot of 'em hiking in the woods some really close but not THAT close ! 

Oh , there was an incident with a Great White and a lady in the ocean but she was doing a seal imitation in a wetsuit and not detecting.......arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Check this out though,,,,the warden service found a moose that was killed by about a million ticks it was "hosting"  !!!! 

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

Scorpions almost every trip here in AZ. I haven't been stung by one ....they are just part of detecting here. Rattlesnakes are common as well but my detecting buddies and I haven't had any real close calls while detecting. I believe the reason is because while detecting you are moving slow and making lots of noise (coil scraping the ground) which alerts the snake that potential danger is near and they slither off. We've had much more scary encounters with Rattlers while hunting quail or deer because you are moving faster increasing the odds for a surprise encounter. As for lions, we have a large population here in AZ. They stay away from people. In fact, there is only one recorded unprovoked lion attack in the state's history! I've hunted lions or been on other guys lion hunts numerous times. Very tough hunts usually requiring the use of dogs to be successful. Seeing a lion in the wild is a rare privilege. I've talked to guys that claim that they have had close encounters with lions while detecting....I call BS everytime. Anybody that thinks carrying a side arm as lion protection is just being, to put it mildly, silly. For one the odds of it happening are close to nil and even if a lion did attack you you wouldn't have time to draw your weapon. Side arms are for the two legged predators. Having an accident on a quad or side by side poses a bigger danger than any of the creatures mentioned while detecting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1