Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

Skookum

Creature encounters  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been stung by a scorpion?

• No, thank you.
    • Yes, while prospecting!
    • Yes, but not prospecting.
  2. 2. Have you ever had a close encounter with one of the following while detecting?

I have had a chichaco pull a 40 cal. revolver on me, all the while shaking as he pointed it at me.

• Oh my! 3

I just found another one ; wild pigs or boars! I know Texas has some issues with them, and I just watched a video of Rome being overrun in the streets there; Weird!!

55 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

I just found another one ; wild pigs or boars! I know Texas has some issues with them, and I just watched a video of Rome being overrun in the streets there; Weird!!

Very true.  I’ve had them startle me a few times.  I’ll add it.  It seems that responses to a poll can’t be edited once submitted. At some point, after we have the major ideas, we can re-poll. There a few more I need to check off now, but can’t until then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

I have had a chichaco pull a 40 cal. revolver on me, all the while shaking as he pointed it at me.

How did you know it was a .40...just curious?

Only time I've ever had the gun pulled on me was back in my wilder days and both times by LEO. First time was daylight and like you, I could see he was shaking (and so was I) but I complied and did some time and all ended well.  Second time was after dark so I couldn't see if the LEO was shaking or not but I sure was when he barked out "freeze or I'll blow your F'n head off!".....  I froze, complied and got roughed up a bit but all ended well...   Being on the wrong end of a gun is kinda scary...

If you guys ever want to hear the full story of second encounter above it is a hoot... One of my funniest experiences ever now looking back on those days....  Play by the rules now and never had a negative LEO experience since and what happened above was just a result of MY actions at that space in time.....

Only animal encounters that had me spooked while detecting have been accidently jumping a bedded moose and also a weird encounter with a cow elk that was protecting her calf...that was a weird deal and had me nervous.....

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

The story is in my book. After I got the guy calmed down to holster his gun I asked him how he was doing with sluicing. He said not very well. I asked him how long he had been prospecting, as I looked at his sluice. He said two weeks. He lost his job in the Troy mine and decided to try prospecting to make ends meet. At some point right after this I asked him if his pistol was a Blackhawk, and I believe he said a Redhawk. He said it was a 40 cal. Maybe he said 41 cal. This happened 20 years ago. He didn't hear me slam the door on my bronco and walk down to where he was. I called out "how are you doing" when I was about 8 feet behind him. That's when he wheeled around while drawing his pistol on me. I gave him some tips on properly setting up his sluice and why and he was thankful. The next day he found me further up Libby Creek and brought me an 18 pack of beer for partly an apology and partly for sharing my knowledge with him on sluicing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Watch this mountain lion encounter. The gun saved his life. That's why I always take mine.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

9 minutes ago, Gold Catcher said:

Watch this mountain lion encounter.

Scary stuff! 

2 things. 

1) the video headline says warning shots  🤣🤣  I'm thinking 'bad shots'.  They were so very, very close to the mountain lion that if they were truly warning shots then he is an excellent shot.  

2) I am amazed how the lion hung around after the first shot and even had a bit of a think after the 2nd before slowly turning away.  I thought it would have high-tailed after one shot  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Northeast said:

the video headline says warning shots  🤣🤣  I'm thinking 'bad shots'.  They were so very, very close to the mountain lion that if they w

Agreed. You can see how his hand is shaking before taking the shot. He clearly missed. Better probably to drop whatever is your other hand and take both hands for the shot. The lion was attacking, so a warning shot would not have been any good anyhow. Glad nobody got hurt in the end, but scary stuff man!

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

I don't see any Eastern Brown Snakes, Tiger  Snakes, Crocodiles, Wild Camels, Pack of Dingos, Hoards Files and not the last, the DROP BEAR .... There is always some good points with these Creatures they scare many non Australian Residences away from OUR GOLD.  😁

..................☠️..................Grizzly bear

• Like 2
  • Haha 2